Mitt Romney for President--Part something

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm sure they visited the Romneys in Michigan and all came to the same conclusion: the trees are simply the right height there.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he has, but does that matter? Would you say you lived the same life as Barack Obama or Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter?

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I currently live a half block from where Joe Biden grew up. His house doesn't look much different from the one I grew up in. And I'm pretty sure there isn't an elevator in the garage (in fact, come to think of it, I'm not sure there's a garage).

And from what I know of Clinton, I had it easier because my mom and dad got along.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Biden is one of the biggest crusaders for the Drug War in the federal government (he was the impetus behind the Drug Czar position) and recently bragged that their campaign bumper sticker should be Osama is dead and GM is alive (his boss, you may remember, won the Nobel Peace Prize). I haven't heard him object to any part of the war on civil liberties his boss is waging either.

Personally, I care completely about what someone says and does and not at all about their economic background, especially those of his or her parents.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
  6. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matrim55 repped this.
  8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    That's my thought. Dude isn't Bachmann.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, he's not Brad Friedel.

tomwilhelm and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You have plenty to choose from Mitt's 2012 Miss-quotes Tour... and he or his campaign are happy to add one more hit every day!!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...fornia-greece-insult-gov-brown_n_1758255.html

"Entrepreneurs and business people around the world and here at home think that at some point America
    is going to become like Greece or like Spain or Italy, or like California
    "

Not that a Republican Governor by the name of Reagan had nothing to do with it..... Or that the Governator solved anything....

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How about the people who take the "sample ballots" handed out as you walk into the polling place? Just tell me who to vote for! I don't know if they still do this, but Louisiana used to assign every candidate a number, so you could just get a list of numbers and not even bother learning their names.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is less than Mitt than on his campaign economists. I wouldn't expect Mitt to be useful and accurate on economics; he's trying to win votes. However, I would expect Stanford, Harvard, and Columbia professors not to whore themselves out for a political campaign. Those guys are the true guilty parties, because they are willing to lie for money they make economics into a he said/she said debate, rather than a science that can be tested with facts.

Oh, and somebody elsewhere made a very good point about this paper. It was written for PolitiFact. PolitiFact won't do the work that Ezra did and call the sources who were cited. It will say hey these are reputable economists, they say Mitt's stuff is correct, so the Dems earn a Mostly False label for criticizing Mitt's plan.

The Republicans have learned how to play PolitiFact. It took them a while but now they have it mastered.

GiuseppeSignori and billreeves repped this.
  14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so if in any of the states where you live you see a welfare Romney attack ad trying to stoke racial prejudice and anger...
    Just realize that the actions of the Obama administration where done at the behest of GOP governors, including one Mitt Romney...THis is awesome politics folks: get attacked by the other side for doing in good faith what the other side asked you to do in the first place

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...e-attacks-republican-governors-172443422.html

""Under Obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job," a Romney ad claimed. "They just send you your welfare check, and 'welfare to work' goes back to being plain old welfare."
    PolitiFact gave this attack a "pants on fire" rating on Wednesday, saying it ignores the fact that the waiver will only be extended to states that seek to increase the percentage of welfare recipients engaging in work.
    But the Obama campaign has trotted out another defense: Republican governors, including Romney, have sought this sort of flexibility in the past. On a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Obama staffers said that Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and Utah Gov. Gary Herbert—both Romney supporters—had asked them about these waivers.

16. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, for several years in the early 80's, I worked at the polling place in my neighborhood in NOLA and I don't remember that. Maybe it started after or maybe I just never noticed.

I like the way they do it in Washington state. We have mail-in ballots so each election you get this package in the mail with the ballot and a voters' pamphlet that includes statements by the candidates and other assorted factoids. It's especially handly for small local races when you have no clue who the people are. In the past I would have just skipped over those and not voted in those races. But this time I was careful. It's weird - buying a house has made me pay way more attention to local politics than I used to.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    FWIW: This is close to the top of a google search for <mormon lying for the lord>

Lying for the Lord refers to the practice of lying to protect the image of and belief in the Mormon religion, a practice which Mormonism itself fosters in various ways. From Joseph Smith's denial of having more than one wife, to polygamous Mormon missionaries telling European investigators that reports about polygamy in Utah were lies ...

Of course, if this is false or misleading, it wouldn't be the first time a religion's detractors lied about a religions lies, so I really don't know. Just saying.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already wrote this somewhere, maybe in this thread...but the worst thing about this campaign is how brutally insulting to intelligence Romney's lies are. They're unrelenting and obvious.

That's why this campaign might get very, very interesting after Labor Day. The media hated Gore and were very, very unfair to him. It'll be interesting if they turn on Romney in the same way, because Romney gives them so much more ammunition. The media, just by doing their job, could kill the Romney candidacy. They could just cut off his dick and wave it in his face. If they do, Obama by 8-10 points.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That is why there is a concurrent campaign by Republicans on Fox News that the media can't be trusted. Just gotta brainwash enough rubes to get a plurality. Then they'll have at least four years to shit on them.

20. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Could you give some examples? (Not that I don't believe you... I just didn't follow that race all that closely.)

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Chuck Norris for that matter...

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thus, I stopped considering PolitiFact a useful resource about 6 months ago...

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    PolifiFact meant well. Unfortunately the people there aren't smart enough. National political operatives (whether Dem or Republican) are clever people. Staying ahead of them requires top-noth bright, for example Ezra Klein or Felix Salmon.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ironic that Romney is attacking Obama for delegating federal power to the states.

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell, almost every GOP attack in recent years has been either:
    1. Blaming the Dems for doing something the GOP did or would do in the same position.
    2. Simple projection: the GOP thinks/does X, Dems think/do the opposite of X, but the GOP blames the Dems for thinking/doing X.

I believe this is called the "Rove Effect".

GiuseppeSignori repped this.