Mitt Romney for President -- Part Something plus One

Discussion in 'Elections' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Hence the attempt at a clean-up job 20 minutes ago. Does he believe it? Doubtful that he really thinks 47% of Americans see themselves as victims. Sounded more like pandering to donors.

Ismitje repped this.
  2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This is still not right though.

If you listen to Obama's quote in full context, he says that there are people in the middle class and the democrats promised them economic mobility and power for decades and they never got it. They knew they were screwed by false economic promises and so with that whole sector of politics rendered pointless, they turned to other issues like guns and religion thinking that politics can do something for them on those fronts. He was saying that people are cynical because they were lied to in the past, and that it was his/our job to win them back by delivering on promises.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me use the word again, you re really desperate now to believe that the debates will be the deciding factor in the election. You dont have any sense of history either otherwise you would have known that debates have never been the deciding element.
    In addition, if you think Romney can match Obama in a debate, you are really delusional.
    By the way, unlike you I assume that I have a candidate. You don't even have the balls to assume yours.
    Tight races in swing states? you are such a master spinner. Careful though, you make hurt your back. Have you seen the last polls for Oh, Fl and Va? There is nothing tight about them. The only state where it is close to be a tie is NC. That is it.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Mittens said something rather rash today...

5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So even his alienating comments are just focus group lines for a different audience? Where does the hall of mirrors end?

6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if Romney can match Obama in a debate. I'll take your word for it though, since you seem to be the expert on everything. You're even an expert at name-calling. Always a sign of a pure partisan with little substance.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are much more an expert than me at spinning though. I can definitely learn a lot from you on that matter.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't seem to understand what's going on. The Romney campaign is in disarray. This isn't about the convention falling flat, and Romney losing several consecutive news cycles. People are predicting failure because the structure is not in place to avoid it. Maybe you don't know a lot about electoral politics.

9. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I see. So it's "spinning" when someone's analysis disagrees with yours.

You: "Election is over!" Me: "Doubt the election is over." You: "You're spinning!"

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually from what i heard on MSNBC, this was said months ago (was not given exact timeline as far as i could tell) but it had been around on youtube in bits and pieces w/o any proper verification as to its authenticity....it didn't help that it was not really pursued by more than a handful (if that) in this lazy "liberal" media of ours ... and people have finally been able to prove it..plus no one in Romney's campaign is denying a single things that's been released thus far...

11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Politico story. Yes, a 2000-word article detailing a disagreement about who should have written Romney's convention speech. Or that there are internal disagreements about campaign strategy. Riveting stuff.

If Romney has "lost several consecutive news cycles", why is the president's lead not increasing?

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No - I mean - setting aside the offensive content - the style of actually being pragmatic and honest was much more compelling than the Romney as politician I've seen - and if he used that style and had any sort of compelling narrative of what he'd do differently, he might actually have more of a chance. Ironically in the video he seems to think that substance is irrelevant.

Was it me or was that video way to high quality to be an iphone? Is this some kind of professional hit job?

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you call your posting "analysis"? You really have a high opinion of yourself!

Germerica repped this.
  14. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Here's Jonathan Chait's take on it...

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09/real-romney-is-a-sneering-plutocrat.html

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  15. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Politico story is only one part of it. It's not so much the story itself that matters; it's that Romney's campaign staff are finger-pointing already. They're talking to the press in a preemptive attempt to deflect blame, because they don't think they're going to win. Not only that, but they're blaming the candidate himself! They are already thinking about their next jobs, believing that the Romney administration isn't going to happen.

But it's also more than that. The campaign lacks a clear and cogent message. They were supposed to get a bump from the convention and didn't. Over the past couple of weeks Romney has repeatedly found himself on the defensive. Ryan and Romney keep contradicting themselves and each other. Losing news cycles in June or July is one thing. Mid-September is another thing entirely. The election is 7 weeks away! These problems are going to start to stick.

The President's lead is in fact increasing. And people who are paying attention can see all the signals coming from the Romney camp. They know they're in trouble.

It's never over until it's over, but when it is over, we'll look back at this week and we may very well call it a candidate for the week Romney lost the election.

TheSlipperyOne and charlie15 repped this.
  17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He's really going out on a limb with that prediction though.

It will be interesting if this thing sticks - I think Romney could be heading towards social media laughing stock - if he isn't there already - and it's going to be tough for undecideds to vote for him with a straight face anyway.

But for me personally - this is behind closed doors - talking to fundraisers - I'm just not going to kill him for that. I personally thought the campaigns answers to the charge that they were out of line with the politicization of the embassy protests was much more insulting and offensive - that made me absolutely furious.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Here it is. Judge for yourself.

To me, the statement is absolutely accurate and is not really even that condescending. He is simply saying that they have been lied to by government and that we have to stop lying to them.

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It's amazing that this is the best Romney and the Republicans can do.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wow - I thought that was pretty awful. Cheerfully making it seem like no big deal - either he should have been contrite or not said anything, imo.

21. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    No doubt there is frustration coming from the Romney campaign. Does that mean they think it's over? I suppose that's one theory. I will say my favorite quote in that story was referenced as being from "a person who recently was alone with Romney." Got a nice chuckle out of that.

Not according to this analysis.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl Rove works for Fox News. Steve Schmidt, McCain's campaign manager, is on MSNBC.

23. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, putting Germerica on ignore was a good call.:thumbsup:

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to me. One of the things I write alot around here is that the GOP, intellectually, is in a very, very bad place, that the media subculture they created has become a Frankenstein monster, killing its creator. I guess the right wing media can still be effective in off year elections, firing up/scaring old people. But it's pretty deadly, right now, to their chances in presidential elections. I mean, Romney barely survived against a really shitty field because the voters thought he was too liberal!

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    But - they still hold a lot of power and as has been said by a number of sites - Romney being terrible will just fuel the thinking that the candidate was bad, not the ideas, so they will feel no obligation to do any more cooperating than they did last term. Which is bad for everyone.

dogface repped this.