Mitt Romney for President -- Part Something plus One

Discussion in 'Elections' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd seriously like to give that post a standing ovation.
    Thanks so very much for that.

Barbara, Matrim55 and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the interesting thoughts that are a break from usual Reep-affiliated media voices. I do have a few questions based on your observations.

Is there any possibility that the networks might have a solid case for why they called Ohio when they did? I ask because I saw races at all levels being called (for both Reeps and Dems) with barely 20% of precincts reporting and they all ended up being correctly called.

Let's say the networks HAD gotten wrong and then presumably corrected themselves fairly quickly. What would have been the practical impact, seeing as polls in Ohio were long closed by that time? Would the outcome in the western states have depended on the outcome in Ohio? Do you think the networks NOT calling Florida as quickly as they did Ohio helped or hurt Romney or did neither?

Say the networks did wait another hour or two. What practical impact would that have had on the election outcome? Could that have turned any of the western states?

Obviously, there are certain characteristics in Romney the man that made that easier than it probably should have been. Do you think that Americans having had two years to watch the "tea party" group in action may have had anything to do with the effectiveness the Dems had in painting Romney as an extremist?

In hindsight, which of the other primary candidates, if any, do you think would have done better than Romney?

It seems like the heaviest losses for the House (example: Joe Walsh), Senate, and some local races was concentrated among candidates who were identified most strongly with the "tea party". Obviously, not every tea partier lost, but it seems like they bore the brunt of the losses. Could the propensity to say "stupid things" be an artifact of the heavy overlap between that wing of the party and the religious base that is prone to make *ahem* "controversial" statements on wedge social issues like abortion, women's issues and gays?

And if the tea party favorites are replaced with moderates, what impact might that have on activating that portion of the party. In short, could the losses this past week have a negative impact on Reep turnout in the next election cycle?

Finally, while keeping in mind that candidates matter and the "rape" gaffes didn't help, is there anything regarding the candidates' or the party's stands on actual issues that may have contributed to the losses?

Given that younger voters are disproportionately negatively impacted by the Great Recession and plodding recovery, I'd have thought that Obama would have lost many of them but that was very much not the case. This would indicate that there is something else at work other than the ethnicity, the economy and gays. Leaving aside the changes in strictly ethnic demographics, do you think the "generational" gap is really only about gays or are there perhaps other longer-term causes also contributing to the outcome among younger voters?

Dr. Wankler and Matrim55 repped this.
  3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MassRef that is a great post.

You mentioned Akin and Mourdocks slips of the tongue. But don't you think the
    larger problem is really the platform and the actual policy via a via rape and incest? Don't you think if the party just called it good on those, it'd be a stalemate and the extremists would have to live with it?

It just seems so easy for the party to make a strategic decision to test the base over these two years. Lose the extreme positions on gays and vaginas, test the waters in a few situations... and if you lose your base at midterms, recalibrate before 2016. If they still come along, you can move incrementally to the center in other areas, perhaps.

Also, it annoys me when I sense that the goal of the GOP in hispanic outreach is not to make their lives better, but to get some cheap votes. Kraut hammer (who should not be allowed to talk again, so wrong has he been on so many things) has a two-step pandering plan to win the Hispanic vote. I involves border security and dreamers. I find this cynical and I'm sure they will too. Am I misreading this?

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, @MassachusettsRef, that was quite a post. The republican party would do well to read the shit out of it.

GiuseppeSignori and Barbara repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah. I've never copied a post to save it before, and I've missed some good ones since I'm such search-function incompetent, but that one is worth saving.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You have to take note that the high profile Tea Party losses were in purple states. There's little reason to expect a Tea Partier from a deep red state to be afraid. That won't happen until they become outcast in their own party. For now their coalition is too big and powerful for moderates to pick a fight with them.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't you all glad I asked?

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure.

Oh, I'm sure the had a strong case. I mean, President Obama did win Ohio after all. But what's the rush to get this right, when Romney has more raw votes on screen and significant portions of the two largest counties were out? This isn't like calling Wyoming or Vermont as the polls close. This was Ohio on a night where everyone knew, if one state made the difference, it would be Ohio. Waiting 30-60 minutes to be 110% sure, rather than 98% sure (if that's the number they were at), wouldn't hurt anyone.

My concern would be that it would set the tone for the inevitable recount. People have always said that President Bush had an advantage in Florida because he left Election Night having had it called for him once and led the raw vote at the end of the night. The optics, if there had been a recount, would have been that President Obama had won the state at some point that night, and the recount was just confirming it.

None. As I said, I thought Florida should have been called at that point. Also, one of my good friends, a former staffer of mine, was the Political Director out in Colorado. He told me, via Gchat, right before Ohio got called, that they knew they had lost Colorado. So, internally, on the ground in these states, the Romney campaign knew it had lost Colorado before it accepted Ohio was gone. This has nothing to do with the outcome of the 2012 election. It's about the networks once again worrying about being fast before being right. Nothing went wrong here and nothing was affected. But, in future elections, if the same behavior is followed, we might not be so lucky.

I don't know. Maybe. Or maybe it was the circus that was our primary. I really think, more than anything, it was the barrage of advertising in swing states over the summer. It was precise and devastating. I think political junkies sometimes over-estimate how much the general voting public pays attention to and links things like the tea party to a Presidential candidate. I think disdain for Romney grew out of a belief that he was either a corporate raider who was for the rich or just a caricature from the 1950s who didn't connect with people today. The notion that he was an extremist might have helped a little on the margins, but I just don't see it as a big factor.

Primary candidates? None. I think Christie could have given the President real trouble, but that would have obviously been a different race (and, boy, would the Sandy dynamics have been interesting).

I guess, but remember that Akin wasn't even the tea party candidate, necessarily. And Walsh was in an extraordinarily tough district, where everyone knew he was gone. You can make this argument, but then again, look at Steve King vs. Christie Vilsack.

This will be the big question in the 2014 Senate primaries. From a pure defensive standpoint, there are only a couple races where a primary could happen and they likely are in states we cannot lose. But from an offensive position, there are vulnerable Democrats in a ton of states where the right candidate would actually be the favorite. We'll see how that plays out. I do not believe, in a midterm election, that a more moderate senate candidate will hurt the ticket (look back to 2010, where people believe the GOP would have won in DE, CO and NV if the more moderate candidate had been nominated). Conversely, nominating an extremist could easily piss away winnable races.

Oh, I'm sure in some cases, just as I'm sure McCaskill's stands on issues would have sunk her in Missouri if she wasn't running against a moron. But I'm just looking at things more at a macro-level.

I'd have to look at data to understand what other things it might be about, but your point about how the economy disproportionately negatively impacts the youth is what leads me to believe it's not the fiscal issues. I'm sure other social issues can play a role but, again, anecdotally, it seems that gay marriage is becoming a threshold issue for many.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Not really. Look, I know it's offensive to some, but the supporting of no abortion exceptions other than life of a mother is consistent with the "I believe life begins at conception." The position can be stated, however, without seeming callous or sexist. Would life be easier for the party if everyone supported the rape exception? Sure. But you can't tell people to adjust an issue of conscience just for political expediency.

But midterms are a base election, particularly when the other party controls the White House. One of the fundamental problems here is that the Presidential electorate and the midterm electorate is becoming more different than ever before, with the increased turnout of the youth vote in Presidential years. There's no incentive to re-invent the wheel in 2014 for Republicans.

Also, "lose" the extreme positions is easier said than done. I don't think Democratic leaders would just "lose" the far left if they lost a couple straight elections.

All politics is cynical, depending upon perspective. Many Republicans would argue that the Democratic party has been trying to get cheap votes out of the African-American community for decades, without doing anything to actually make their lives better.

The outreach to the Hispanic community comes after the immigration issue is dispensed with. There are arguments to be made about social and economic issues--and even security ones. But our party can't connect because the immigration issue is the initial block. It's not that dreamers and border security would get Hispanic votes; it's that dreamers and border security will allow Hispanics to listen to the rest of the Republican platform and engage in the outreach.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cris 09 repped this.
  11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The network announcements are awfully useful for people who are torn between following the election and getting enough sleep for the next workday.

I have no interest in bashing Rove here, but I can't see a lot of objective evidence to support your claim. This year, the network call was unquestionably right, as Obama won Ohio by over 100,000 votes. If you'd been in the position of the analysts for all the networks, looking at so many votes remaining in Cuyahoga County, or even gone down to the precinct level, you may well have concluded the same thing.

As you pointed out, the networks were abundantly cautious about Florida. No reason to think they weren't plenty cautious about Ohio, as well.

Matrim55 repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just reading MR's posts, (interesting stuff, BTW... thanks:)), it occurs to me that people get themselves into a bit of a lather with the minutiae of the latest political story and miss the bigger picture.

As he says, the significance of Sandy was being overblown, (npi), in some quarters by the 'punditocracy' when, in truth, people had probably made their minds up well before that.

It rather reminded me of this from our 2010 election when the then prime minister was collared by a long time labour voter who expressed her doubt about the wisdom of allowing large numbers of immigrants, (mostly from the former eastern European states like Poland), into the country and it's effect on the future of her grandchildren. Unfortunately, (for him), the Sky News, (Prop: R. Murdoch), radio mikes were still running...

As usual at election time, I was canvassing for the party and could gauge peoples reactions and, apart from a few people who thought it was bloody funny coz he'd made himself look an idiot, I don't think it changed one persons vote in a hundred.

I suppose Sandy allowed Obama to point out the 'government is bad' message was fallacious but, other than that, it probably made little difference.

schrutebuck repped this.
  13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But aren't those the most important ones?

Like MassRef implied, it will be interesting to watch how the recent results impact the energy level of the tea party contingent. It could either make them angry enough to get MORE energized or discourage them and make them LESS energized. I have no idea which way it will go. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to guess, I'd say that the extremist propensity for doubling down on the crazy under adverse circumstances makes it more likely the teabaggers will be more energized by this slap in the face from the swing states which means the Dems will need to work extra hard in 2014 to maintain.

Matrim55 repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    For me, the problem wasn't just being callous or sexist, it was (in the case of Akin) being a complete ignoramus. The female body can just shut that whole thing down? Really? And the clincher is that this guy is on the House committee on science and technology (along with the "pit of hell" guy from GA). Speaking as a scientist, the GOP platform on science issues is just plain stupid in most cases. And speaking as a regular guy, I don't want the country run by stupid people.

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, that was my biggest surprise as well....the fact that a nation like the US could be run by people that insists that dinosaurs and Jesus co-existed. Scary!

atomicbloke and dapip repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is there any doubt? :confused: The vote against them simply PROVES there's a conspiracy against them and other 'real' Americans.

I don't know if anyone caught it but it was discussed on Bill Maher's show last night. Andrew Sullivan was saying he hopes the crazies are thrown off the bus so the republicans can find their true voice again. James Carville was saying he hopes they DON'T coz the democrats will win all the elections going forward. :D

The annoying thing is that there IS a valid right-wing viewpoint in support of maintaining proper control of the public finances, of looking after people who start businesses, (and thus create jobs), of making sure the state is properly defended, etc. etc. The trouble is that's been sidetracked by all this crap about gay rights, women's bodies and the other nonsense.

The right wing USED to be about allowing people to look after their own affairs and managing the government in a reasonable and practical way. Now, it seems to have gone batshit crazy and started involving itself in stuff that's nothing to DO with them.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH I don't think there's any other way to see it. I also don't see how anyone can argue that, if a woman is raped, god obviously 'wanted it to happen'.

Of course, that might be because I'm an atheist, but.... :eek:

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is their biggest issue. They support small government until it comes to self righteousness. It is at that moment they feel government should intervene to enforce their beliefs that are born out of the teachings of their local pastor. From that moment, small government goes out the window and all of the sudden its "Jesus Is Lord" time - enforced by your tax dollars.

dapip repped this.
  19. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carville is only partly correct. It would keep the White House Democrat for the foreseeable future. It will keep purple states Senators Dem unless the Dems put up a real loser. It might even increase the number of Dem governors. House and state-level elections, though, are much more localized so bar the kind of gerrymandering seen in, say, Illinois, the House and state legislatures will not be impacted by the presence of the crazies unless the local area sees demographic changes.

The social "bedroom" issues are a part of it. Americans continue to be suspicious of large concentrations of power in both the public and private arenas. With few exceptions, the current crop of "libertarians" focus only on "Big Government" and not on "Big Business" and I'd like to believe that many Americans see this blind spot in both the Libs and the Reeps and are wary of it even though you won't see it discussed in the MSM.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Or to sum it up in a pithy catch phrase, they want to get government out of the boardroom but into the bedroom.

ratdog repped this.
  21. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the "god's will" comment was taken out of context every bit as much as wingnuts took Obama's "you did not build it" comment. In both cases, you don't have to look too hard to see what the speaker really meant even if the exact quote was formulated poorly. Part of the Reep problem is that were so many such comments (some of them genuinely nutball, some not) whereas Dems weren't running around seeming to bad mouth small businesses in an equally stupid manner.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How was it taken out of context?

Every time I something good that happened it was because "prayers were answered"...when it is the opposite, it is because "God works in mysterious ways."

23. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Another subject altogether, however in my opinion most of them use Christianity as shield for them to believe or do as they like. Real Christianity is not what they have warped it to be.

It is my opinion they have warped Christianity no differently than the Republican party; to fit whatever they desire.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree...if Jesus was around today, he'd be a communist. :D