Rumor: Misl Expansion teams

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I would have capped philosophical as well. I think they are both equally an issue. Or you could say that they are linked as I wouldn't be shocked if most of the philosophical differences are based purely on financial issues.

2. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    see - my black mexico WC jersey showed up in the mail today so now I have it - truth & fact
    so now the MISL?? when I see it in writing and announced from a team source and not by word of mouth - I will believe it

3. GOAL41

GOAL41 Member

Sep 7, 2006
    ChiTown Burbs
    You mean they are not?:eek:

4. brownbelt16

brownbelt16 New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so anyway back to soccer

5. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    how long is a week anyway???

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the MISL hasn't made the announcement (there's nothing on their site), but apparently it's welcome back, Comets.

http://www.examiner.net/features/x41628500/New-Comets-coming-to-Independence-Events-Center

Yes, it's the Examiner, but there are actual quotes and it's sourced and it names names and everything, so it appears legit.

Noble and classy of the league to wait until after the World Cup Final (apparently) to officially announce it, though. :rolleyes:

7. FireMLS

FireMLS New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    It pains me to say this but indoor as we knew it is done...pull the plug on this already. In a day of texting and video games,young people of today just do not have the time to sit through full games especially unestablished leagues. It does not help that the quality of play in this sport is not good. Back in the day goalkeepers would do everything they could to keep the ball out of the net with dives and quick moves.... today's keepers look like they pick a spot stand there and hope it hits them,on some goals the keepers look like they are 4 feet away from the shot. So may point blank shots are shanked and not even put on goal and many of these games have very f ew shots on goal and that was not what indoor soccer was intended to be,it was supposed to be a game where each team got 50 shots a game and constant action,there are lots of games now where players just can not create space on their own.. Indoor was great but there are now just too many leagues with the talent level not better than any back yard games. I loved the game in the day but it just is not cutting it anymore.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's where they're apparently playing:

http://www.independenceeventscenter.com/about-us/about-iec.html

5,800 seats, which is a good size for indoor right about now. New building. The CHL team there averaged 4,935 a night last season.

It's 17 miles east (on interstate) of Kemper Arena, for a reference point. The ownership group has a construction guy in it, and it's unclear what the other owners do.

Here's their website: http://www.cometsindoorsoccer.com/

Good luck to 'em. Positive news.

9. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You guys beat me to it.

Nothing says "sexy" like adding Comets 3 four months before the season. And Missouri Comets to boot.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be a challenge, no question, it always is.

Plus, Chicago was announced just a few months before the season. That went well. :)

Seriously, I'll be curious to learn more about the owners and their plans. If the GM's experience includes time with the Attackomets, that puts him ahead of a lot of people who've gotten into this in the last several years. At least he shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

Obviously, it would be great if this eventually led to the return of Wichita and St. Louis, but that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves. For now, if it's six teams, I look at the six teams and say "Okay. Milwaukee seems solid, Baltimore is Baltimore. Hopefully Philly can get a full slate of dates in their building. You never know with Monterrey. Rockford may move to Chicago, but they could hardly be worse off. And now Missouri, which has a nice new building that has at least proven people will go to it for something (which you can't say about the Sears Centre)."

Certainly doesn't seem like a disaster. Let's see what happens.

11. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sent an email to the GM, MISL will send press release on Monday around 4 est time. NSL2004: 5 months...Home opener is Friday November 12th.

Sounds like a good start.

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Double check my math: 11-7=?

13. GameraRPZ

GameraRPZ Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Spinman, not mathman Syd. A simple mistake. Good news for the MISL.

14. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    The pieces are starting to fall in place. Very Good news for the MISL.

As I reported here earlier, the Comets are back in the fold and will be playing at the Independence Event Center. What strikes me as more good news is that the owner(s) mentioned that their investigation into the MISL showed that the league was not only solvent, but adding teams. Again all reported here earlier. Now that KC is in, look for the other teams to follow.

And by the way, I also reported that the MISL would wait until AFTER the World Cup to report on expansion and I was right on that too. Now some my mock me, but if you look at the calender, I was right.

Again congratulations to the MISL and indoor soccer fans everywhere.

PS: The Sprints Center's failure is now complete. Shame on them for not pouncing on the opportunity to grab the Comets. Oh well, their lose.

15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Unfortunate choice of words.

16. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    I could be wrong but isn't this the first real expansion team for the MISL II, NISL, MISL III?

17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    MISL II had Chicago, Monterrey (Fury), Stockton, Detroit, and New Jersey.

But that's since 2000...and none of those teams are in the league anymore.

18. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you got the reason backwards, The delay in announcing probably occurred because the World Cup would have overshadowed anything the MISL announced.

I hope the new team succeeds, but I'm not very optimistic. Five months is not enough time to put a franchise together.

19. balthrop

balthrop Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Plano, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm closing this thread now. If you want to continue the Kansas City...err...Missouri discussion, please open a new thread.

Reason for closing: 370 messages.