MISL Attendance 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by kenntomasch, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, sorry.

2. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    No problem...makes sense now that I know the differencing max attendances. I can tell you it doesn't appear they added 3,000 seats to the place in the off season though lol.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they did. I don't know if HQ wants to make itself seem bigger by listing bigger arena capacities or what (as nobody's doing the math on percentages).

If you went 9,500 for this year, the Wave would be at 54.7% and the league would be at 47.8%.

The listed capacities, with which anyone can take issue if they like, are:

Baltimore: 11,273
    Chicago: 9,400
    Milwaukee: 12,700
    Missouri: 5,800
    Rochester: 12,000
    Syracuse: 6,159
    Wichita: 5,400

4. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well obviously the 54.7% for the Wave this year is the number that is relevant, not the 40.9%.

In regards to the US Cell, 12,700 is the maximum it can hold (for concerts, graduations, etc.). It holds 10,783 for basketball and approximately 9,500 for soccer, as Kenn mentioned. Just smells as laziness on the part of the MISL in the arena capacities. There is no way you could fit 12,700 people in there for a Wave game :p

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And given the sample size is "1," it's even less relevant than one might initially think. :)

6. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Maybe if the other 3000 are all waiting in line at the concession stands between quarters! Man some of those lines get brutal lol!

7. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I know anything about statistics, it's that sample sizes of one are great for drawing conclusions. :p

But yes, relevant might not have been the correct word. Let's rephrase that as "the 54.7% is a more accurate portrayal", if you will.

8. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Thank you for your investment in the Milwaukee Wave and our never-say-die sport.

9. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Told by my buddy last night who used to play for the Comets but has retired now. That they aren't letting the player get extra tickets for tonight. Cause apparently they have a pretty full house.
    I checked Ticket Master and it does look pretty scarce what is left.

10. HollandsComet

HollandsComet Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Raytown, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's attendance: 5,500 at the IEC.

11. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Comets on the sellout! Hopefully these fans keep coming back!

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,895 in Baltimore. Blast is 4th in average attendance.

13. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Welp that was fun. Full arena and a big W. Who needs last year's MVP when you play like this and get the support KC is giving the Comets. Awesome time last night.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday - 5,365 in Rochester
    Sunday - 2,200 in Wichita

Curious about Wichita. Off 41% from the same number of games last year. Baltimore is off 26%, Rochester off 14%. Milwaukee up 65% (one game), Missouri up 38%. Syracuse down 1%. League is off 3%.

15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn , I am hearing That attendance is down this month because of all the soccer tournaments going on in Baltimore Can you check your stats on just November to see how bad Baltimore's number really are compared to this years numbers we all have seen .

16. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Comparing Balto in 2012 vs 2011:
    Halloween - same date
    Thanksgiving - same date
    Name of league - same
    Stan the Man - still dead

Baltimore is witness to the CLASSIC INDOOR CURSE: You had better draw REALLY REALLY WELL for home date #1... 'cause home dates 2-4 (if they are before Christmas) are going to REALLY SUCK... and I mean SUCK to the point that you are better off playing in a locked arena (teams don't draw enough to cover RENT!).

I defer to the noted historian (Kenn) to add statistics to illustrate this well-known truth...

Back in the day, I would pray that the Rosemont Horizon would only have ONE weekend date available for the Chicago Power before 12/15... anything else = not worth opening the doors!

17. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why dont the MISL think about changing when it starts the season to beable to get people in the doors . The crowds in Baltimore I dont think the #s stated are true it was far less in the building then they stated .

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there is no one, single variable you can change to "get people in the doors."

19. IndoorSoccerNews

Nov 28, 2010
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some factors that I see contribute to Baltimore's decreasing attendance:

1. State of the League - they can do nothing about this. People just get tired of seeing them play the same teams over and over and the "real" fans don't want to see them play new expansion teams - they want to see matches that are more equal. (They've played Chicago twice in less than a period a week.)

2. Fans want to see a winning team. Last year's 18-6 record was pathetic. Danny Kelly has no excuses for why they didn't do better than 18-6 and win the Championship (which they haven't won since four seasons ago).

3. Devaluing their own absurdly inflated ticket prices.
    A) Giving half price discounts all throughout the season. (This year every game so far has been on livingsocial).
    Solution: If they are going to do those livingsocial/groupon deals, why not do a deal where you pay the full price of a ticket but you get the next game free (when they're doing the back to back games). That would get people to see both games, even if they only planned on one, and they would be spending money (for concessions, merchandise, etc.) at both games.

B) Streaming the games online for free. If it's cold outside or there's a snowstorm (I've driven up to see a game in some of those) people now have the option to sit in the comfort of their home without paying a cent to watch the game. (At least for the PASL they generate some revenue from streaming the games).

4. No promotions. What ever happened to the free t-shirts and coffe mugs that adults could get? The few promotions now go to little kids...

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't know the meaning of the word "pathetic," do you?

18-6 (.750) was the same as the 15-5 (.750) from the prior year. But not quite as good as 14-4 from 2008-2009 when they did win the league (a league that had just four other teams in it, including the Mass. Twisters, yet "real fans" showed up to see those "less equal" games against teams they saw a lot).

In fact, a .750 in the regular season is almost as good as Baltimore has ever been. In fact, in the history of indoor soccer in Baltimore, the 14-4 mark (.778) from 08-09 is the only W-L% higher than the .750 marks of the last two regular seasons. Not in the original MISL did Baltimore ever win 3/4ths of its regular season games. The Spirit never did it in the NPSL.

But, awwwwww, you didn't win the championship. Poor baby. Yeah, I can see why that would totally cloud everything you think. "No excuse for why they didn't do better" than the second-best record Baltimore has ever had? Do you even read WTF you write?

And they've been streaming games live for a while now. It's not like thousands of Baltimoreans all of a sudden said, "Oh, wait, I can sit home and watch this thing on my computer screen?"

The ticket prices could very well be a valid concern. But, hey, you listed it third.

21. puma10

puma10 Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Rockford
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that, but wouldn't starting the season at a later date help a lot of teams get better dates.( i.e. Rockford Rampage Vs Rockford Ice Hogs at the Metro/BEMO Center)

22. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The big issue is that the MISL is an inferior product to what indoor soccer used to be. There is no excitement to the teams in the league. When the San Diego Sockers came into town with names such as Zungel and Branco Segota, fans got excited. Now you have the non-descript Chicago Soul playing in the same city two weeks in a row. I enjoy indoor soccer and will attend a Chicago Soul game or two. But other than Milwaukee (regional rivals), there is no other team that I want to see.

By the way, I can't imagine thousands or even hundreds of fans staying home to watch a game on their computer. That is a real lame excuse!

Joey Tee repped this.
  23. IndoorSoccerNews

Nov 28, 2010
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey thanks for agreeing with basically the whole premise of my argument.

By the way, you might want to check out www.compete.com. According to them, over 4,000 people went to misllivesoccer.com during the Championship series last year. Those were fans that could have been in seats at the arena.

Happy thanksgiving.

24. IndoorSoccerNews

Nov 28, 2010
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a baby. The only reason I would be crying is if I owned the team, but I'm smarter than owning an indoor soccer team (or working/playing for one).

Btw in 2008-09 they were playing against established LaRaZa and established Philly. Massachusetts may have been a joke, but no different than any of the last Chicago teams honestly, and the Blast weren't only playing them. Rockford even had a few years to their name before joining the MISL and were established when they joined IMO.

Your argument might hold some validity if you know the state of the league. Besides the Wave, the last two seasons have been against expansion teams (two years ago) or 2nd year teams (last year). With that considered, the Blast should be doing way better than their 08-09 record. And it seems likes the games they lose the hardest are high drawing crowds at home (Blast lost their first home game against the brand new Silver Knights in the 2011 season and did badly post season). Fans want to see a winning, Championship team and they haven't provided that since four seasons ago. I don't think you understand that standards are set higher for a team that's been around three decades as apposed to new, 2nd year teams.

Happy thanksgiving.

25. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm guessing a good portion of those people were probably not located in the city in which the games were played. I watched Game 1 online, but if the games hadn't been online, that wouldn't have suddenly gotten me to travel 800 miles to Baltimore...

GoStorm repped this.