Mirosevic latest to leave Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    1. You can't really compare former Crew to current Crew. Current Crew aren't going to compete against former Crew or any other former MLS team.

2. You can't really compare capped leagues to uncapped leagues. Most sports media destroy guys who sit out parts of preseason in the NBA or NFL because they're being detrimental to the teams chemistry. Wasn't is a few years ago that Chad Johnson, could have been when they got TO but I think it was Johnson, sat out Bengals preseason and he was getting hammered? I only remember because I couldn't listed to anything sports radio or TV without hearing about it. Meanwhile in noncapped leagues the teams that you know are going to be on top always have the best players so its never treated as as big of a deal because they always have time to fix things. I remember one year the Yankees got off to a bad start for them and they traded for a bunch of players on one of the Florida teams because they were doing well. Their fans were pissed but the justification was something like they were going to be out of contract next year and we'd lose them teams like the Yankees anyway. The big boys in Europe often times react the same way, this year isn't going well we'll but a player to fix that. Everyone else it's not that big of a deal either as long as they stay up.

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RW and BB still expect Milo to show up for Monday's training.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/18/crew-brass-provide-updates-all-comings-and-goings

Also some tidbits on Dilly Fist Pump, tRR, and Sanchez, but those aren't germane to this thread.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The most germane item is

Said Warzycha: "We haven't offered him a contract. We are still searching for some players."

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kayak repped this.
  5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    It may be unfair but I was already primed for nice excuse before this info dump.

7. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This organization over the last three years has become such a predictable joke.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't before?

9. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be:
    1) one international signing and
    2) Duka will be traded for Oduro, and
    3) one of those things will happen in the next week.
    4) Furthermore, our youngins will work really hard to make the roster, and
    5) a couple more substantial pieces of the puzzle will happen thereafter (maybe).

10. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading between the lines, I think its fair to say our Front Office and Coach are incompetent. This season is going to be fun to watch

13. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the preferred theme of this off season is the Bliss-Warzycha Follies, but like it or not, Milo's departure doesn't really fit the script other than it's another player leaving.

In fact, it's probably for the best (nobody has yet to mention a game where Milo had a memorable 80 or more minutes). So what if his exit was hastened by cutting Miranda? For all the minutes Seba played last year, he was not the same reliable defender he had been the year before.

<tongue in cheek>This off season may not have gone according to the FO's's plan, but as the wise Alexi Lalas one said to Taylor Twellman, repeatedly, a bad plan is better than no plan.</tongue in cheek>

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He didn't live up to expectations and both parties involved decided it would be best if he shouldn't come back. I'd rather have a guy on the team who wants to be here and wants to give 110% every time than an international headcase who doesn't want to be here.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It hurts a bit to lose Mirosevic this late when the team was counting on him. Maybe we'll get some transfer money from his new club. Fortunately we can replace his role as an attacking central midfielder with a young American player named Dilly.Oh, wait...

That McCullers says to only expect 1 international signing is dismaying. Bliss had said to expect a couple before anyone knew about Milo leaving. We probably need significant upgrades at both outside backs and in central midfield. We also need a legitimate scoring threat from the bench though Oduro should provide that if the deal ever gets made.

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope to all that has ever been holy that we didn't let Milo go on a free. If we let a guy out of his contract, after he lied and connived and whatever to get out of said contract, we deserve all that we get. Bad coach or not, the reason we create and enforce contracts is to be compensated when they're broken.

Please Mark McCullers, tell me you're a better businessman than that.

CrewV Man and Kayak repped this.
  17. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Via the article

"Milo was a high-profile international acquisition and we think that we're going to bring in another high-profile international player that will really help our team, as we'll have financial resources at our disposal following Milo's departure."

18. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Lampard?

Was Milo really a high profile acquisition.

19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things that bothers me the most about Milo and the year or so that he was here was what we were told he would be, and then what he was used as.

IIRC, and that's a big IF right now...... but I seem to remember everyone saying he was a forward/attacking mf with a nose for goal. But where did he play? He played almost universally as a DM paired with Birchall/Grossman/Tchani/George/DO'R. He almost never found himself in a spot where he had cover enough to go forward.

Grossman/Tchani/George weren't strong enough in the middle, so we fell into the ole' bucket midfield again. He and DO'R just never gelled, and the only successful pairing, Birchall/Milo played together for that wonderful spell when Higuain showed up. But then, Birchall peed in the tailtipe of Bobby's Trabant, and he never saw the field again.

So people get all in a huff about "not living up to expectations", but he did EXACTLY what RW wanted him to do. Whose fault is that? It's another example of someone with "leadership" being run out of town.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod: He's gone--lets move this to the ex-Crew or Fire Bob threads, as appropriate.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    This is slightly different and just happened - therefore it's own thread is appropriate.

POdinCowtown, ZipSix and Matt D repped this.
  22. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember Miro being seen as a disappointment on the pitch by many (most?) around here. So, given that he was relatively costly, I don't see his departure being a big problem. Nor do I see how his decision to leave can be laid at the feat of Bob or the FO. This happens a lot with South American players.

23. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not so much that he's gone (for me). It's more that we just let him walk away without gaining anything from it. Apparently, the Columbus Crew believes in the charity model of the transfer market.

24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry to me that means they just get his salary back. I want some transfer money. The last thing I want players and other clubs to think is that our contracts mean nothing. I don't care if it is $1000 and an a case of Chilean wine, we need them to pay something.

shoplifter repped this.
  25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair. Maybe in a couple of weeks?