Mirosevic latest to leave Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You are wrong - I don't know of any lower league teams that turn over 50% of their squad year after year. For the simple reasons, money, relegation and investment.

2. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me its not really about who is leaving the club but more about the mass amounts of players that want to leave or already did. To me that all points to RW and no one else(Mailny because players have come out and said that he was the issue).

If you watch the video of Garth Lagerway (GM of RSL) talking about picking up Grossman, he mentions that they want to be known as a "players club" mailny because they are not an attractive destination like some other MLS cities...Dont you think that would be a nice philosphy to have in Columbus? It seems as though the Crew are anything but a "players club".

3. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Soccer is turning into kgilbert78 Soccer.

LaMacchia repped this.
  4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree with the majority of the remaining summation. My grips previously was with the lower league comments. Firstly, usually the standard of player (in england) is much of a much ness when you get out of the top two tiers. Unless a club has a huge amount of investment (i.e. deep pockets) you don't see a huge in/out as this actually costs money. either through transfer fees, or contract terminations, or wage increases. You have to look lower and lower in the leagues to find the "bargains" but what you are really doing is buying the same level player, and hoping that they can gel with the existing squad and keep your team up. Also, most squads in lower leagues maybe as alittle as 15-20 players on full contract and maybe 10 or so youth players. youth being any kid between 16-18 and that is if you have a youth system in place. Most teams in lower leagues can count on one hand the number of 16-18 year olds that have come through the system to play in the first team in the last 10 years. the quantity of players is there, but the quality - not always- especially when the nearest epl teams have scooped up the cream of the crop , then the championship teams, then the league one teams with big pockets etc etc....

I agree with you, I am not sure if turnover of squad is a good or a bad thing in MLS, however I would argue it is a recipe for disaster in a relegation/promotion league, unless you are buying up in quality and you have a good coach to bring the team round

5. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bobby has his favorites on the team. Miro wasnt one of the favorites.
    Simple as that.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One caveat--remember most teams overseas have their reserve teams separate. Our rosters are a bit bigger than the average overseas. And just for kicks and giggles, I have an old Kicker prior to the 2002/3 season sitting here in my office (had a list of comings and goings and a note as to how long the player has been with the team. Let me look at the 2 BL for that. Take Sankt Pauli. Roster of 24. Cory Gibbs' team. 6 in 11 out. Two players on the team prior to 2000. Mainz (and lists Duhaney as a transfer in from the Crew!). 9 in 9 out. Roster of 29. Furth, 9 in 9 out. Roster of 27. That was a random three (though in order of finish--relegated from the BL and 4 & 5th). Not 50%--but a third. Mind you, to be fair, there was a Union Berlin that only had a couple of transfers--but that was partly because they were a former East German team still figuring capitalism out. Of course the top Bundesliga teams were more stable--though Schalke cut 12 that year. I also do not think the Crew has turned over their roster by 50% each year. I think it's magnified in our minds by players we like, coming and going. But I could be wrong. I'd be appreciative if someone would run the numbers. Certainly this season was larger than most--though not as bad as when Sigi hit town. MLS also does not do that much with transfer fees (incoming) so there is less investment to lose.

shoplifter repped this.
  7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Not sure what that means

8. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every post seems to be some lengthy missive from Ken.

9. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wonder how well the Chileans (Miranda and Mirsosevic) got along with Higuain, an Argentine from Buenos Aires. Supposedly, there is some regional animosity between Chileans and Argentines, especially with those who hail from the Argentine capital. I would be satisfied with Warzycha's lousy man mangement skills as the primary reason for Mirosevic wanting to bail, though.

10. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I think you are right, and maybe saying 50% of the squad, perhaps 50% of the first team..i.e. the players that saw many minutes.

1. F Olman Vargas, Costa Rica, 27, 4-15-85, International, $170,000/$175,000
    2. D Nemanja Vukovic, Montenegro, 28, 4-13-84, International, $108,000/$125,500
    3. M Cole Grossman, USA, 23, 4-10-89, $44,100/$44,100
    4. M Chris Birchall, Trinidad & Tobago, 28, 5-5-84, International, $102,000/$109,000
    5. D Carlos Mendes, USA, 31, 12-25-80, $103,084/$106,209 (OOC, signed w/NY Cosmos)
    6. GK William Hesmer, USA, 31, 11-23-81, $170,000/$181,000 (option declined, LA in re-entry)
    7. D Sebastian Miranda, Chile, 32, 8-26-80, International, $135,000/$140,000 (option declined)
    8. D Julius James, Trinidad & Tobago, 28, 7-9-84, Green Card, $100,000/$100,000 (opt decl)
    9. M/D Rich Balchan, USA, 23, 1-18-89, $51,700/$68,575 (option declined)
    10. F Tom Heinemann, USA, 25, 4-23-87, $47,250/$47,250 (option declined)
    of this list I would say maybe 5 count....perhaps spread over two season (I am cheating) I would say maybe 7...Look at the experience though - that too is another point.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    My issue is, I read part way through, then respond to a very specific part of it - which I disagree with, then read the rest and realise that we probably agree!

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List in minutes played last season:

PlayerPOSGPGSMINS[​IMG]GASHTSSOGGWGPKG/AHmGRdGG/90minSC%
    Eddie Gaven M 34 34 2990 9 2 55 27 1 0/0 6 3 0.27 16.4
    Andy Gruenebaum GK 33 33 2920 0 1 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 0.00 0.0
    Sebastian Miranda D 33 33 2882 1 1 6 2 1 0/0 1 0 0.03 16.7
    Josh Williams D 30 27 2429 1 3 24 8 0 0/0 0 1 0.04 4.2
    Chad Marshall D 24 24 2146 2 0 22 8 0 0/0 2 0 0.08 9.1
    Milovan Mirosevic M 26 25 2140 4 2 46 14 2 1/2 2 2 0.17 8.7
    Danny O'Rourke D 21 18 1603 0 0 3 0 0 0/0 0 0 0.00 0.0
    Emilio Renteria F 27 16 1542 3 3 50 14 2 0/0 2 1 0.18 6.0
    Jairo Arrieta F 18 18 1534 9 4 41 21 2 0/0 5 4 0.53 22.0

I wish this would have formatted but these were the guys that got at least 50 of the total minutes possible last year (Birchall was close and Tchani was next). 3 of the 9 are gone and 4 of 10 if you count Birchall (4 of 11 if you count Tchani). But also note that Rent, Danny O, and Arrietta barely got 50%--tho in the latter's case he was only here half the season. Truth is, for what ever reason (injuries or Bob or ???), we didn't really ever have a starting 11 last season. Four core players and two at about 75%.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've defended Robert in the past, but now I think there IS a real leadership/communication problem at the top. Too many players complain about it.

14. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that he doesn't speak English in complete sentences is a pretty big give away.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't like it you don't have to read. No skin off my nose. Electrons are cheap. That being said, I shall try to be more concise. However, I was trying, here, to respond to a number of different items at once--thus the length.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it to the next level. My issue is that there doesn't appear to even be an EFFORT to communicate.
    Welcome to the club. Plenty of room. Grab yourself a pitchfork.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. Don't let those with ADD get you down. Anything worth saying is worth taking a long time to say. Take a lesson from the Ents.

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're down to 1 guy in the 30's, our avg age/experience is plummetting to a point where almost no one knows how to win.

Miro wasn't great no doubt about that. BUT! Is the guy that will replace him (Tchani) more effective? HECK NO HE's NOT! Unless we replace him with someone that upgrades the spot, this is a BAD deal for the Crew. Especially when the club was singing his clubhouse praises a few months back

19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can take this back to 2010 and see how almost every replacement has not turned out to be better than the person they replaced.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I *am* ADHD, myself. Just ask Mrs. KG (or my mom, were she still with us).

21. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to belabor the point, but when every post contains the same meme it gets a little tiring. I'll exercise my self-edit reading skills from here on out. :)

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrietta? Higuain?? Really?

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    read 'almost'

24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just waiting for someone to pose the question of what happens when Milo breaks his contract and doesn't show up.

25. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a coy way to pose a question. I think cam5fc has already answered it, however. The answer is: Tony Tchani will be starting in midfield.