Miralem Pjanic

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Nov 2, 2012.

1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'd say the first half of this is absolutely one of the reasons why Zeman favors Tachtsidis. The second half not so much, as De Rossi long passes have been more or less on par with Tachtsidis. I think above all else Tachtsidis plays vertically and in most cases will try to play forward immediately or on his first touch. De Rossi aside from holding the ball too long is very much indoctrinated to play horizontally. It's no coincidence that when De Rossi played centrally at the start of the season the recurring comment was "This is more Luis Enrique than Zedenek Zeman." De Rossi's one experience playing as regista was under Luis Enrique. LE's game was entirely built around De Rossi and De Rossi soaked it up like a sponge. Zeman is contrary to LE's entire philosophy, or course he's not going to play the guy that the setup was based around in the same position.

Zeman is also a fairly simple man with a rather simple football philosophy. He's not one to put people into crazy positions. I think he's been quite clear from the start. To him De Rossi is an intermedio, who because of his qualities could be used in the center in case of an emergency. I don't think there is anything shocking, as a matter of fact for the last 6 years on this forum I've seen the vast majority of people asking fro this. Now that it's finally happened people are complaining. And why? What has De Rossi accomplished as a regista? His one season playing there and we had an attack that was slow in build up and more or less completely impotent. Plus our defense was no better than what it is today.

2. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I tend to agree. I also get a bit frustrated with the line of thought that's so concentrated on a "Platonic" starting eleven that good players being momentarily out of the lineup (who will inevitably get lots of starts/minutes due to injury, mid-week fixtures and some squad rotation) seems to be some huge problem.

If we're going to compete with the Juve's (don't they have about 4 quality wingbacks on their roster?) or any quality team anywhere in Europe for that matter, we need even more good players like Pjanic and Destro even if they're not in fan's favorite video game 11s.

I'm sure happy to know we have Destro if Osvaldo's leg doesn't heal for the Derby, yet him being on the team with Osvaldo is considered a problem.

PJANIC: So far he's about what he was in France: a player that shows a tremendous amount of talent but is yet to develop that into consistent quality performances. Based on his attributes, I like the idea of him in Totti's role as it now involves ranging deep and making plays. However, I also think it may be more of a "project" with a lot of growing pains than a quick fix. If he had the vision and positioning already working to flourish there quickly he'd probably be doing a lot better at intermedio.

Basically, if someone had really wanted him for €25 million I think he'd be gone. Even for a bit less. I'd imagine the offers were closer to exactly what we payed and there really seems little issue with him providing depth for now and hoping the "light" will click on. If a great offer comes then I can see him being sold but not before.

As far as Pjanic at regista, it gives me nightmares just thinking of him getting physically overrun and the ball taken off him every 5 minutes in front of our area. Pirlo or Pizarro and Verratti and, yes, Tachtsidis all have an uncommon ability to use their body/touch to fend off pressing attackers trying to nick the ball off them and create space safely and move the ball quickly. That's why they can operate in those deep lying positions effectively. To pass creatively out that position is what makes the great ones great but first and foremost you have to be solid as a rock in holding possession like a traditional #6. Defensive positioning also has to be superb with Zeman's tactics where you don't have a destroyer covering. That's what makes a great regista so rare and why you can just stick any good attacking midfielder back there and watch him become Pirlo.

Why Tachtsidis is getting a chance is that he has the ability to be strong on the ball (like a Toure or De Rossi or Alonso) but can open space as well to get a quick pass forward. His problem has been more mental (very loose passing) than physical.

Vulpinous repped this.
  3. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He has potential and a lot of it but right now he has to wiat his turn and I do believe he has it inside him to explode just liek we are seeing Lamela do right now..He just has to accept it for now and try and remain patient and keep learning because he can become a main player when Totti finishes.

I don't wnat to lose him and then watch him become that player, of course after Roma selling him for peanuts

4. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am starting to think (just from different peoples opinions coming into mine) that Pjanic is probably not a good regista due to his lack of grinta. But I still don't like Tach;)

5. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good goal but not sure whether he meant it to go goalward or he was just trying to drill the ball into the box with ball and as a result lost all accuracy on it.

6. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm sure he saw that Laziale scum Marchetti way off his line and tried to shoot it past him (have a look at the movement of his leg when he tried the shot - it would have never been meant for a pass)

7. 7thRoman

7thRoman Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ya, I believe Marchetti provoked him to do that, cuz it would be impossible to score like that. but he failed. OR, Marchetti is a closet roma fan.

8. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was a shot on goal, look at his body language from the moment he begins his run. Pjanic has a lot to improve and that was the perfect opportunity for it, so he took it, and made it.

Andreas and Vulpinous repped this.
  9. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I have always supported Pjanic and I will keep saying that he needs to be a starter. I'm a big fan of Miralem.

va il totti repped this.
  10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I meant to say a lot to *prove* :confused:

12. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hah I wonder what he says at 0:24, and who he's looking at?

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

I like to think Zeman says "he's angry at me, I like that"

14. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The more I watch Pjanic play up front the more he looks like Totti's proper heir.

His first touch is magical, and the goal he scored against Atalanta has Totti written all over it.

Andreas and Barilla repped this.
  16. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Well, it looks a lot like one Totti scored vs Fiorentina. :D