Milosevic Found Dead in his Cell (R)

Discussion in 'International News' started by Chris M., Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, and all too true. However, all of the above is true because Serbian society is still psychologically shielding itself from the outside world--the entire country has decided to deal with the guilt by lying to themselves. I still think that if reality comes crashing down on them, they can begin to reconnect with the rest of the world, and create a more open and honest society.

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There was an interview with a former Canadian diplomat who basically summed up Slobo like this:

Yugoslavia before Slobo: Financial stabiliy, progressive, and it's people were free to travel the world.

With Slobo in power: $^&^@*&($**()$*()$

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Again, I don't get what your point is. Are you implying that the war tribunal was put in place to provide employment in the Netherlands? The UN decided to establish the war tribunal, it was approved by the majority of its member states. The Netherlands (unlike some other countries we won't mention) dutifully pays its UN contribution every year in full. In short, we pay for what the tribunal spends ourselves.

The court case was a hugely complex issue. Proving Milosevic's responsibility in the slaughter at Srebrenica, for example, is highly complicated as you have to prove that all lines of communication and power can be traced back to him. It is a responsible thing to do take time to get to the bottom of this. You also seem to ignore other complicating factors, such as the fact that the process was delayed on several occassions because of Milosevic's illness.

You oversimplify things. Is it easy living in a world that that's black and white?

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What is your annual contribution? Is it earmarked for the tribunal? OTOH, if the tribunal costs more than your contribution, then you're not really contributing anything, just recirculating money within your own country.
    Complexity & simplicity are matters of analysis & preparation. No one seems in any hurry to collect & analyze evidence, then present it in a direct & cogent manner. Let Slobo watch the proceedings on television from his cell or hospital bed - appoint an advocate & don't allow him to represent himself, which created farcial scenes over the last several years.
    The Dutch were once known for practical analysis & solution. A nation that could push back the North Sea can streamline a war crimes trial.

5. Bure9

Bure9 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    If it were that easy. Unfortunately everything can't be a tidy little sound bite like that. Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Kosovo wanting to sucede created just as many problems as Milosevic's "Greater Serbia" conquest.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slovenia created no problems whatsoever--Milosevic had no real aims to hold on to it, as it has no Serb population of any size.

Bosnia and Macedonia might have been willing to stay in a REAL Yugoslavia...not the Serb-dominated 'Serboslavia' that Milosevica and the ultra-nationalists were pushing for.

Kosovo? Force 90% of the population to live under martial law and house arrest for the 'crime' of being the wrong ethnic group, you pretty much have to expect they're going to want out.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.optonline.net/News/Article/Feeds?CID=type=xml&channel=32&article=17669964
    opposing viewpoints:
    Ramsey Clark, a former U.S. attorney general and longtime Milosevic supporter who is now on Saddam Hussein's defense team, drew cheers by telling the crowd: "History will prove that Slobodan Milosevic was right."
    But some drivers passing by the square honked car horns and made obscene gestures at the Milosevic supporters, underscoring the disgust many Serbs feel toward the late autocratic leader.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems Clark has a thing for Genocidal Killers.

9. Bure9

Bure9 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I don't doubt your expertise on the subject but I would like to read an article or something about Croatia and Bosnia willing to stay together with Serbia as a real Yugoslavia.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You would have a point if the Tribunal was actually led by the Dutch. Which it isn't. We're hosts to the tribunal and supply support staff like police, security, and medical facilities. We have no say in proceedings otherwise, not more than any other UN member that doesn't have a veto in the council anyway.

Overall I find it hilarious that you think a country with the mickey mouse-like political stature of the Netherlands has that much influence over the UN. Your 'just recirculating money' comment also is pretty funny. How do you feel about the UN's operations in New York? Would you like me to compare how much employment they provide over there to that at the Hague?

11. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I was between puking and laughing out loud when that guy was giving the speech.

“Slobadan Milosevic is a man for all ages and for all of humanity. He spent his final years heroically fighting for justice from a nazi prison.”

That’s what I heard from him . I thought that those pro-milosević people in the west were only making gestures with different reasoning behind it, but it seems this guy really managed to delude himself that he was defending a noble person.

I know nothing about his career in America, what’s this guy about? Or was it all just a case of too much slivovitz?

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia probably wasn't, once the nationalists (in Croatia as well as Serbia--Croatian ultra-nationalists bear some responsibility for polarizing the country) began dominating the debate.

As for Bosnia, the Muslim population were generally in favor of keeping the country together, as were a lot of urban Bosnian Serbs and Croats. They didn't favor independence until after the country began breaking up, and they realized that staying in Yugoslavia meant staying in a nationalistic pan-Serbia in practice. Bosnian Muslims and Croats DID ultimately vote for separation, but that was in 1991, after the breakup of Yugoslavia was underway, and events in Vukovar and Dubrovnik demonstrated what Milosevic's pseudo-Yugoslavia was all about.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Feel free! :D

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    A simple google search would have told you that they employ 6,100 people in New York. Meanwhile a total of three UN organisations: the international court of justice (ICJ), the International Criminal Court, and the War Tribunal together employ 1,200 people at the Hague itself.

Glad to have been of help.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Somehow, I knew you would be! :D

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Life's tough for accused war criminals:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11974958/
    "A tryst in the Hague tribunal’s “love room” for conjugal visits produced a daughter this week for former Yugoslav Army Chief of Staff Nebojsa Pavkovic and partner Maja ... Pavkovic is on temporary release from the U.N. tribunal pending his trial for war crimes"