Milosevic Found Dead in his Cell (R)

Discussion in 'International News' started by Chris M., Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q.E.D....in a world that has expectations of lawful, democratic life and living, it's always better to have due process...always.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/03/13/milosovic/index.html

Well the situation gets a bit more interesting.

3. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet no matter what you do, it will always be derided as "victor's justice" or a "show trial". That has been the critique of many commentators of Neuremburg and Milo's trial.

Hussein is getting a fairer trial than he ever gave one of his political opponents (Hussein once on national t.v. had opponents within the Baath Party dragged out of a room, declared guilty after a 1 minute trial and executed). Yet his trial is called victors justice and a show trial.

So no matter what you do, it will be called a show trial.

Granted, I prefer Neuremburg to Stalin's trials or Hitler's trial of the participants in the General's plot. But Milosovich dragged this thing on for something like 5 years, with no end in sight.

And in any event, did any silly Euro supports unfurl an RIP banner this weekend (like the Lazio[?] supporters did for that Serbian leader killed by I-FOR?)

That's interesting considering that another Serb leader recently committed suicide in his cell.

4. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

Not really.

This will deny the victims the verdict, and will only strengthen ethno nationalism in Serbia. If that is still possible.

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

I think you mean arkan . He was killed in Belgrade, not by nato-forces.

The then Lazio player Mihajlović gave them the idea for the “tribute”

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11806794/
    an expensive proposition: "the proceedings ... cost an estimated $200 million" that won't convince Slobo's family & supporters of his guilt. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11792222/ "I am sure he will take his place in the history of the Serb people. A worthy place. He is one of the outstanding personalities of the nation. An outstanding statesman. His struggle was cut short by his death. Even if he wasn’t victorious in that struggle, he was not defeated either."

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UN has announced an autopsy to begin in about 1 week. It is expected to be complete by 2008.

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the same light, the trial itself will be completed shortly after that in 2080.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Has there been any articles about how the $200 million was spent? How much are the judges & lawyers getting paid? Investigators? Hotels? etc.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You don't believe in democracy and bringing people to justice and all that then? On that note, isn't the trial of one Sadam quite expensive as well?

I find it a shame that Slobo died before he was brought to justice. And I feel sorry for all his victims that they didn't get a chance to see him sentenced.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying, I also think that this was his fate anyway to die one way or the other. Perhaps he is now having to face those he had killed?

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The assumption here in Holland was that he was trying to make himself just that little bit sicker to get Dutch doctors to agree his transferral to a Moscow hospital. Which they had always denied him.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well hopefully. But it's a shame that his name won't end up in the Serbian history books as "Found guilty and sentenced for life by the international war tribunal". Now some idiot can always claim that he was never found guilty, and that therefore he must be innocent.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    That wasn’t going to happen anyway.

The Hague tribunal is a product of a Vatican-masonry-gay lobby conspiracy.

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Slobo's supporters would deny the legitimacy of the court & the verdict even had he been convicted.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, there's a (dwindling) core of supporters who will always consider the man a hero and now a martyr. But it would have been much harder for them to influence the historical record in Serbia had he been convicted. Future generations of Serbs will have to deal with his legacy. A clear conviction would have made it much easier for pro-democracy, anti-nationalist Serbs to discredit and defeat the Milosevic cult.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Unless he was found not guilty.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Johnnie Cochran predeceased him.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Who cares about what his supporters think?

Again I don't understand your problem with this case. What are you against, exactly? That a war criminal is taken to court?

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly.

22. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

Most Serbs don’t care and haven’t cared about Milosevic for a long time. The problem is they gave up on him because he failed to deliver a greater Serbia, not because they think the whole idea of ethno nationalism and expansionism was wrong.

That’s why the Radical party(more aggressively nationalist than Milošević was) gets 40% of the vote. Not to mention that the governing politicians like Koštunica and Drašković would be considered far right nationalists anywhere in western Europe as well.

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Others have posted that they felt the need for a trial & guilty verdict to convince his followers that Slobo was a war criminal. I don't care what his supporters think. IMO, it's been a waste of $200 million for this interminable trial. I would have prefered a speedy tribunal. I'm sure that this circus has provided lots of jobs in the Netherlands.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And how do you envisage a speedy tribunal in a democratic system then? I mean considering that a murderer spends at least 10 years on death row before he gets killed off in some states in the US, that interests me. I'm also pretty certain that the privatised, commercial prison system in the US provides far more jobs than a war tribunal can ever do, but that's a different subject I guess. Are you implying that the war tribunal was established to provide employment for the Dutch?

25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    A quick trial is 6 months for both sides to gather data, which is then exchanged, 3 months to review the other sides documents & reply, 100 hours for each side to present or cross-examine witnesses, 6 hours for summations, then the judges deliberate & decide at their own pace. The length of appeals after US verdicts has nothing to do with the length of trials. Where are the convicted war criminals housed? Who is paid to guard them? The tribunal certainly spends a lot of money in Holland.
    P.S. Perhaps Slobo has fewer supporters than we all thought: http://www.optonline.net/News/Article/Feeds?CID=type=xml&channel=32&article=17637916