Milosevic Found Dead in his Cell (R)

Discussion in 'International News' started by Chris M., Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
  2. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    You wonder how he was given the opportunity to do this. I'd like to think he was under constant watch.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    try to remember he was an old, stressed out man with health problems

4. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Washington Post is being told - and then telling its readers - that a tribunal pres officer told the Post that Milosevic "apparently died of natural causes."

Now that may well be the case, but I'm not sure anything can be "apparent" just yet.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is this supposed to imply?

6. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely this; that some press officer telling some intermediary to the Washington Post anything at this point other than "the man is dead" is pure speculation. "Apparent" assumes at least some assessment, otherwise you say "don't know"; if there was at least some assessment, it wasn't done by the ********ing press officer; give us the words, or the quote, of that qualified person.

This is just indicative of the slop journalism we get daily. I'm being probably picky in some respects, I know, but I'm teaching a Sport and the Media class, and we're all - students and myself - really focused in on the language chosen in various "stenography for power," and how it differs from the minimum investigative journalism, and what that means for the reader in a 24/7/365 media turnover environment...

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milosevic did have a history of heart trouble. Hopefully he's rotting in hell right now.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I've been doing some reading on the Noam Chomsky/Diana Johnstone/Jared Israel school of Srebrenica-denial/pro-Milosevic school of 'thought,' so I'm little trigger happy right now. Sorry to jump the gun on you.

9. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No that would do it; it's all good. You might want to also read this with regard to such claims of Chomsky...

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read that already. I've read the other parts of the exchange itself. I've also read interviews with Johnstone, Chomsky, and the other parties involved. I'm sorry, but ZNEt is a very unreliable and biased source on this particular issue.

Bottom line--Johnstone wrote a ridiculous book claiming that the massacre at Srebrenica was not what it clearly was. Chomsky defeneded her right to say this, but he also said--in no uncertain terms--that her work was good reporting.

That Chomsky can consider a book that ignores well-documented facts, and clearly sides with the ridiculous propadanda churned out by racist ultra-nationalists to be 'well researched' should disgust you at least as much as the misquote in The Guardian. ******** him.

He has written about the NATO war in Kosovo and other issues in Bosnia as well, so it's not as if Chomsky didn't already have a history of countering what HE considers to be reflexively anti-Serb Western media coverage. So this Johnstone/Srebrenica spat was NOT out of character for him.

Sometimes the truth IS simple. Sometimes the things ARE the way they seem. And, amazingly enough, sometimes the mainstream media are NOT involved in a plot to further Western hegemony. Media coverage in Bosnia was often over-simplified and sensationalist, but it was very rarely dishonest. I would suggest the Chomsky and Johnstone and company should talk to David Rohde if they are really interested in the truth.

Sorry for the rant--this isn't directed at you, Mel. Give me half an excuse to lecture on Bosnia, and I'm going to take it! :eek:

11. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you...I went offline with a PM, but it was too big, so I went and e-mailed you.

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I was sorta hoping that he would live a long painful life. Oh well, I'm not really broken up about it.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the World has become that much of a better place with his departure.

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should all do a happy dance.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He apparently died of old age waiting for his trial to end.

R.I.H. Slabo.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it, and wrote you back. Thanks for taking the time.

17. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I just fired you back, while also getting caught up my own disgust that PSG could only draw with Nancy... ;)

To those posting here celebrating death/damnation, etc., I'm not sure about that.

That is, I'm not sure we should ever be happy that the rule of law, and legit proceedings, don't get a chance to fully expose discredited, murderous ways of thinking. The man died, but I'd rather he lived and was fully discredited among his adherents, through a process they could witness, then to die and still not be convicted. I wanted conviction; free, world-opinion-ed, refutation of his way of being in the world...codified and institutionalized alongside Nuremberg as precedent.

Now, we won't get that, and that way of being in the world, not FULLY refuted, retains some - albeit marginal - currency, alongside potential martyrism. We've seen that dynamic before. I know we'd like to say "Well, whoever is looking at this man's acts and decisions and backing them is less than human anyway, and wouldn't be swayed by legal proceedings," we ought to remember that in terms of humanity this reflects US in best practice, and holds out hope for others to come to the table, imv.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly the way I feel. Now we won't be able to carve "CONVICTED WAR CRIMINAL" on his tombstone for eternity. Dammit.

19. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
  20. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I think we should let these guys off themselves the day after they are captured. Save a lot of money.

We can take sworn statements from the victims to create a historical record.

21. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I'm with Mel up to the point where he likes other reporters because they infer different things that the washington post infers. Sometime read a news article you like then re-read it again without reading "what the reporter said". Just read the quotes. I think you'll soon see that just about every journalist is a creative writer trying to get out.

Then think about how they all cooperate in the "storification" of the news. Each reporter has heros and vilians and a plot that hasn't quite yet reached its climax.

"Milosevic Found Dead in his Cell" is all that is known to be true right now but that's a news headline. Not a news story.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He couldn't make it another ten years for the verdict?

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You presume that his supporters would accept both the legitimacy of the court/trial & a guilty verdict?

24. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Sissy chose the easy way out. :p

[​IMG]

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm wondering how this is going to affect the whole Genocide trial with the main guy dead.