Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT

Mikkel Diskerud signed a new contract with Stabæk today: http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article133297.ece

The headline is a little misleading: it states "Diskerud probably chooses Norway" but there is no statement from the player or his agent to that effect, merely an opinion from the Stabæk coach Jan Jönsson.

2. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006

Considering we have contact with Mikkel on here, I am going to trust that more.

Mikkel, our U-20's need help in back. CALL RONGEN.

3. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He really is right Mikkel, or better yet, you should call Bradley. A player approaching him would have a profound effect on him, I'm sure he has heard of your new contract and goals scored. Just make sure they know you're avaliable.

Congrats on the new contract.

4. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I think Mikkel's been pretty clear that he's torn between the two countries, and has therefore decided he will play for whichever one cap-ties him first. I don't like it, but I can respect it and think others here should too. If he were to call anyone in the US system that would be making an active choice for the US over Norway and not in keeping with letting the first call-up being the deciding factor.

5. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree with that completely. It would be natural for the American staff to think that he picked Norway over the US by the fact that he played for Norway, against the US. A call would only serve to say that he hasn't committed to Norway, not necessarily that he has committed to the US.

6. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF

Thank you, thats exactly how I am thinking. Appreciate it

7. Aquaman

Aquaman New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

If I knew some way to get in contact with Rongen or Bradley, I'd get them to contact Mikkel. I hope he's not seriously considering taking a team made of mostly collegiate players. If he was a smart coach he'd see the advantage of taking professional players like Mikkel, Vincenzo, Arguez, Davies, Garza, Jeffrey, McLoughlin, Nazzani and Morales with a mix of the best choice MLS and college players. Guys like Mikkel and the other pros have access to top trainers and coaches year round. I mean, their job is to be good at playing soccer right now. College players are limited by NCAA sanctions and are only playing for a small portion of the year. Of course I believe taking the best players is the best idea but I don't think a team of mostly college players (like the qualifying roster) is taking the best players. So, here's to hoping I have a Norwegian-American to support in the future.

8. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006

He makes a good point, can someone on here get in contact with Rongen/Bradley, or knows someone who can do that for them. I am sick of losing quality players

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Maybe Rongen thinks you would be better off for the next u20 cycle. I believe you are eligible to play in U20 WC in 2011...

10. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guys come on... How about letting Mikkel make the decisions that affect Mikkel. Hope Rongen calls you up ASAP, Mix. We wish you the best either way!

11. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It certainly complicates our usual tactic of living vicariously through prospects, and making their decisions in a hypothetical world where we are them, when they are actually talking with us. :eek:

12. spunk

spunk Member

May 23, 2008

When are the next U20 games scheduled for either the US or Norway, and games which at the same time would have the effect of having him cap-tied?

13. Start fan in exile

Jan 5, 2006
    Lillehammer, Norway
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Norway's U19 team plays Euro qualifying matches on May 18, 20 and 23 vs. Romania, France and Latvia. Given that Mikkel played the second half in the last friendly vs. Italy and it seems like he'll get some minutes in Tippeligaen I would bet he'll be called up for it.

14. spunk

spunk Member

May 23, 2008

Thx!

Anybody out there that knows where and when the next cap-tie event on the US side is likely to take place?

:confused:

15. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The U20 WC is the next official event for Mix's age group from a U.S. perspective, I believe.

If he chooses to represent Norway in the U19 qualifiers, I believe that he would then be provisionally cap-tied to them and could no longer represent the US without petitioning Fifa to make his one time change of nationality (I forget the official terminology). That would have to happen before his 21st birthday of course. I believe I got that right.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

This is incorrect. He's a 1990, so this cycle and then the 2012 Olympics are his last two chances for U.S. youth appearances.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Further, if he played for Norway in U20 qualifying, he could play for the US in the U20 WC even if he switched his allegiance formally with FIFA before the event.

One of FIFA's caveats about switching national team affiliations is you can't play in qualifiers for the same event for more than one country and you can't play for one team in qualifers and another team in the event for which you helped the first qualify.

So, if Mikkel plays for Norway in those qualifiers, he ain't playing for the US at the U20 WC. And, the US has no official games Mikkel would be eligible for between now and the U20 WC save for senior team games.

18. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rongen is gonna blow it. :(

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

blow what? Seriously, do you know how good Mikkel is? Should Rongen cap people based on their other options? Were he to do that, how do you think guys from the USA would feel? It would also be incredibly unethical to cap him just to stop Norway if Rongen does not have a genuine interest. Give them both a freakin break!

20. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are there any videos on this kidd? Im sure Rogen is aware of this kid, so if he doesn't call him then he must have a good reason.

21. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's definitely aware. He was called in for a tourney in Portugal last year. Had 3 assists in one of the games.

22. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

was this before or after he played against the US?

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Before

24. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See what I did there? :D

25. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007

The Yanks Abroad forums are becoming more and more unbearable.