Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC the reason he didn't get many minutes was because he went off the help our U23's qualify for the Olympics. Then when he got back Gent was in the thick of things and didn't really want to deviate from their normal 11.

Holla at ya boy repped this.
  2. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I don't think Pedersen will be moved to the wing, he has been possibly their best player in that central position apart from their (reserve) goalkeeper, who has saved them from defeat and humiliation in all three games so far. Pedersen is 32 now and near the end of his career, it's quite normal that attacking players are moved further back and/or into central positions when they reach that stage. I belive Rosenborg's coach said that this was their plan for him before they signed him. Riku Riski, the player they are using on the left wing, was their other big signing before this season, which clearly shows the plan is not to use Pedersen there.

Anyway, I agree Mix is a better player than Svensson and Selnæs. But those two are younger and come from Rosenborg's own youth team and will likely get their fair share of playing time and then some. The point was that Mix being sidelined can be explained in other ways than the conspiracy theory someone mentioned.

I believe Mix will move somewhere else shortly anyway, and I think that's necessary for his career. He has not improved during his stay in Rosenborg. Besides, they currenty have possibly the worst coach in Tippeligaen. I think it will be a wise move for Mix wherever he goes.

3. FC Wombat

FC Wombat New Member

Apr 2, 2014
    New England
    Club:
    Aalesunds FK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of thoughts here.

This had been briefly referenced earlier in the thread, but - given the comments from the Stabæk contingent combined with the reactions of club and press to some of his public statements (whether not being release for the Ukraine match or comments about the Salvation Army) - how much of this can be attributed to Mix bumping up against Jante's Law? It seemed to me that his public statement about his election to play for the USMNT over Norway suggested as much. One man's narcissism is another man's creativity.

Regarding Gent and Mix's move from Stabæk: please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the intent to help Stabæk's dire finances at the time part of both of those moves? Again, much much more to the Gent issue than that, but I think it's disingenuous to disregard the economics of that period for Stabæk. And one less-than-ideal loan in Belgium doesn't scuttle his progress or development any more than the first three weeks of a season mean the current situation is categorically a dead end.

I agree that it's Mix's technical ability combined with the wildcard of attempting the unexpected (the turns, the flicks, the through balls) that makes him an interesting and valuable contributor to the pool. And, quite frankly, I think American fans have been quite taken with the personality - you don't often get professional athletes chiming in on internet forums, selling season tickets on street corners, or espousing personal views and philosophies on the world around them.

He's an interesting cat. Even without the cat.

4. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And when we do get a personality like him we absolutely soak it in! Frankie Hedjuk is a legend for the NT and in Columbus for a similar personality.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can he come back to MLS if he never played in MLS?

And did you see the article with quotes which explains why Mix doesn't want to come to MLS? Those reasons haven't changed. For one, he doesn't want to be owned by a league rather than a club/team and when a good opportunity comes along, he wants it to be between he and the club/team to sell him, not a league office who owns his contract.

And, I don't blame him. Weighing options in Europe with his passport provides more opportunities.

Zak1FCK and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  6. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok first off, slow your roll. I used the wrong phrase since he has never played in the MLS. Secondly, I have not read the article, so you don't have to be condescending. Regardless, I still think coming to the MLS would be good for the league and whichever team gets him. I do see that being owned by a league rather than a team would be rough, but he would probably be able to become the personality of a team, a fan favorite, heck maybe even build a attack around him. Not saying that isn't possible for him to do at some clubs in Europe, but I would imagine it would be more meaningful if he were to do it in the country which he represents internationally.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has to make the next step sometime next cycle. He is Benny Feilhaber role this summer, off the bench.

8. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Jante's law is a myth, or at least extremely exaggerated. It's used to disarm critisism by people (typically glamour models, participants on reality shows or pop musicians) who struggle to understand that not everyone likes the same things and not everyone will be impressed with everything they do no matter how small the achievement. In reality Norwegians and Scandinavians love their stars and people who make it big just as much as anyone else. If someone makes a name for themselves on an international scale "we" love it maybe even more than people from big countries, because we're a tiny nation who rarely gets attention internationally.

Mix has been very popular both in media and with the supporters from day one. Not despite his personality but because of it. People are people. People like a bit of entertainment and showmanship. But there are those who get a bit fed up with special clauses in contracts, special demands, empty promises just for PR and how his father is behind all these things and controls his every move, makes all decisions for him, does all his interviews and public statements in his name and participates on supporter forums under aliases etc.

TL;DR: Mix is very popular, some believe his father is doing more harm than good.

9. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS'ers, you caught that, right? Will the real Mix please stand up.

10. FC Wombat

FC Wombat New Member

Apr 2, 2014
    New England
    Club:
    Aalesunds FK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!

11. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    That, sir, is a strong statement. And I'm quite skeptical this is the case. For instance, Mix sure as hell runs his social media presence. And I'm reasonably sure the mods and regulars in this thread have vetted this to be the real Mix.

12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread went dumb.

13. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you please elaborate on the influence his father has (allegedly) had on the things you mention? I'm not doubting you at all, just curious.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be something within Norwegian football we here in America don't know about. Or he's exaggerating.

comoesa repped this.
  15. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me that now we won't be hearing from our friend for a while.

ttrevett, Zak1FCK and comoesa repped this.
  16. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix regardless if whatever is being said on here, we trust your ability and thus far you have proved to us that you are extremely worthy of putting on the u.s. crest. Every player is going to go through rough patches. Heck it's only been what 3 games without starting and in one if those he came of the bench and scored a cracker of a goal. Let the negativity motivate you but not put you down. We're gonna need you in Brazil.

17. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Oooh, this thread went all Marco Vidal.

18. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close. This poster has done nothing to disprove anything.

19. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    In Norway, at least amongst Stabæk and Rosenborg supporters, it is quite common knowledge that his dad has quite active influence over Mix career especially PR related.

When Mix was playing in Stabæk his father was very active in the supporter forum. He had a distinct and recognicable way of expressing himself. I've seen the same at a Rosenborg Forum, and in several newspaper interviews over here, were Mix insists on replying via Email.

I'm not saying that it isn't Mix himself who are posting on this forum, but it is a possibility that it might be somone else, and the more weird and excentric the posts are the higher the probability of it beeing somone other than Mix.

Although I'm hoping that it is Mix himself.

20. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    #5245 @ringo, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    BTW as to rule out any possibly misunderstabdings.

I genuinly wish Mix the best of luck and hope he and the US do well in Brazil. Hoping that it will open some possibilities for him in a bigger league and that he has a long and prosperous career somewhere in europe, so that he does not return to Stabæk anytime soon. I think the Turkish Super Lig would fit him well. Good quality game that should fit his style of play and idolising supporters.

And on that note I conclude my part in the Mix discussion. Life is simply not long enough.

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, apparently it is JUST long enough for you to come in, cast aspersions, and then leave.

Where I'm from it's quite common knowledge that doing this means you're a jackass.

Deeneaus repped this.
  22. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next you're going to tell us that there aren't any trolls in Norway, and that the Norway ride at EPCOT has been lying to us for years.

Deeneaus and FirstStar repped this.
  23. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    #5248 Sevens7ar, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    This is common knowledge, at least it is in Norway. Mix made a deal with his father back when he had to make the decision whether to go to college or go all in for a career in professional soccer. If he chose soccer he would give his father full control of all decisions concerning his career. All good intentions of course, probably something along the lines of "If you're not getting an education at least I have to make sure you get all you can out of a short soccer career". Not everyone is too impressed with how this has affected some of Mix' decisions and some of the stunts they (ie the father) have pulled but I really don't think many blame Mix for it. In the big picture he is and always has been very popular.

Also, I was not trying to imply that the Mix posting on here was not the real Mix. I wouldn't know anything about that and have no reason to believe it's not him if he has been open about his identity. See @Ringo's comments on this.

By the way, the reason I said I believe it's necessary for his career to move somewhere else was not because I don't think he is good enough for the team or because he wasn't in the starting lineup for the first three games of the season. (Also I know he was very close to a move on the final day of the Norwegian transfer window so this is obviously something he is concidering.) The reason I think a change of scenery will do him good is because I honestly don't think he has improved as a player since joining Rosenborg and I don't think any player in the world has the best chances of improving their game playing under Rosenborg's current coach. I honestly hope he will become the player I thought he would when I first saw him for Stabæk (few Stabæk youngsters have impressed me more), I just don't think that will happen in Rosenborg.

24. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as the identity issue, this being the internet, we obviously can't know for sure who's posting. I don't believe it's up to the mods to verify his identity, I'm not sure how they would do that anyway. I personally do hope it's indeed Mix, as the poster is an intelligent, charming, and likeable fellow... but I am realistic.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need t calm down. He is just giving us the (one of them at least) view from Norway on Mix and his father.

Every opinion of Mix won't be positive, especially given his character(at leas the one we have seen on this forum and in some of the PR stunts he does).

I don't have a problem with it but it is understandable that others would.