Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    "MLSsoccer.com has learned from sources around Europe that the midfielder is also being wooed by several clubs on the continent, including one longtime Eredivisie admirer."

2. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I am a Eurosnob. I am the Eurosnob.

What about the rest of you?

LongDuckDong, mike4066 and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  3. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys just don't understand that some people love Taco Bell. We ALL know that it's not "real" mexican food but it is still cheap and enjoyable food.

mike4066 and (TxT) repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what they use to make the ground "beef?" Fortunately our friend Mr. Diskerud is a vegetarian.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been Europosing since the early 90's...

6. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do i worked there.

soccersubjectively and Real Corona repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix, if you are vegetarian AND you like Mexican food AND you're going to San Diego, you have to check out Pokez:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/pokez-mexican-restaurant-san-diego
    Tasty food, good location, open until 10, very popular with hipsters, punks, vegetarians, etc.

[​IMG]
    (but I know it's awesome)

Tom Collingsworth, deejay and mike4066 repped this.
  8. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Although the Timbers had a poor record last season, their player pool isn't as weak as it might seem. They underperformed this year, partly due to coaching issues (with the head coach being fired and then the general manager acting as a part-time interim head coach for half of the season). With Caleb Porter being hired, the coaching situation should be much better next year, and all indications are that the 2013 Timbers will have more talent then the 2012 Timbers did. There are plenty of reasons for optimism about the future of the team, and it is likely that they will show a big improvement in performance compared to last year.

Although there haven't been many young players coming to MLS from Europe, there have been significant numbers of young players who have joined MLS from other areas, especially South America. The average age of the Timbers is actually slightly younger than the average age of Rosenborg BK, so it isn't just a league for old men. There are many players who are close to the same age as Mix.

I hope Mix decides to come to Portland. It is a beautiful city and a great place to live (except during the winter when it rains almost every day... but during the summer it rains much less and the weather is very nice).

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds kinky.

Fifty Shades of Mix.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I alternate between Eurosnobbery and CONMEBOLbbery.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't forget, he has a european passport. Not the same. He can find a club A LOT easier than most MLS guys... just based on that.

I think he comes here in MLS as an adventure. Even if he doesn't find the success some think..he can still find someone interested in europe. The kid is talented!

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Surely the coaching played a role, but I'd argue that Portland's roster was pretty lousy. Based on how much dealing they've already done, I'm guessing the club would agree.

13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you know the answer to the million dollar question asked by furball?

14. Dopenose

Dopenose New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Coming from a norwegian football fan who has seen a bit of mls this season (six or seven games), i would say from that basic knowledge that an average mls team is about the same as an average norwegian league team, perhaps even a bit stronger. However in my opinion the top two norwegian teams, Rosenborg and Molde are stronger than just about any MLS team, the distance from average to top being larger in the norwegian league (Rosenborg having more than twice the budget of the nr. 3 team). I don't think galaxy would knock out a strong Dutch team like Heerenveen or beat Stuttgart and Rapid Wien home and away.

deuteronomy, Maitreya and panicfc repped this.
  15. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    In 2011, the Timbers came very close to making playoffs. The Timbers roster in 2012 was significantly more talented than it was in 2011, and at the start of the season they were widely expected to make the playoffs. They had the talent to get better results than they did but they underperformed.
    The Timbers have only lost 2 starters: left back Steven Smith, who was out of contract, and right back Kosuke Kimura, who did not play well for the Timbers anyways. All the other starters and most of the important substitutes are still with the team. It's not like they are blowing up the team, most of the moves that they are making are addition rather than subtraction.

One thing that I would like to point out when talking about whether on not MLS is an upgrade compared to Norway or Austria is that what is important is not how strong MLS has been the last few years, but rather how strong MLS will be over the next few years. MLS is growing steadily stronger, and now that we have academy graduates joining the league in large numbers and a few years without any expansion drafts to dilute the player pool, the rate at which MLS is improving is likely to increase.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he signed with Seattle, that would be okay with you?

==
    Having that EU passport makes the soccer world his oyster. With rumors of Dutch clubs looking at him, it would be difficult to pass up that opportunity.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, Dutch clubs are an excellent place for young players. After that though, Portland would be a great experience.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, I can't really dispute any of that but I still think it was a lousy roster.

Anyway, that's enough threadjacking on my part. Happy to discuss elsewhere.

19. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to nitpick, but he doesn't have an EU passport, since Norway is not a member of the EU. But Norway is part of numerous other European agreements, so I bet he can probably move in Europe just as freely as an EU citizen.

20. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Does Mix have an EU passport? Do Norwegians count as local players in EU countries, or are they foreign because Norway isn't part of the EU?

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Easier for them than Yanks that's for sure.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They're in under the Schengen Agreement (as are the Swiss, for example).

Kejsare and xbhaskarx repped this.
  23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Schengen Agreement relates to passport free travel.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Via Twitter from Portland owner Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson)

Paulson admitting defeat in the chase of Mix? He could be. Let the guessing begin of where Mix lands!!! The "next" option Paulson references is US Youth International Mobi Fehr who looks likely to fall to Portland via weighted lottery and coincidently trained with the Timbers most of Oct and Nov.

Deeneaus repped this.