Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    In my eyes, Mix is more box to box rather than a true creative mid. I picture him more in the mold of a Bradley with some of the skills of a true attacking mid, which is what makes him such a neat prospect.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Sure he doesn't, but Porter is still absolutely unproven. Let's put it this way: it was much harder not to qualify to London than to qualify, and Porter managed to do that.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every major coach in just about every sport has not proven something before they've proven it. Obviously Porter hasn't proven he's a successful MLS coach since he's never coached in MLS. I think he will do well.

juniorLA repped this.
  4. jhw1

jhw1 Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Porter's definitely unproven at the professional level, and he's had some failures in other settings. But I'd also say that Diskerud, with his pro experience and his time with the U-23s, is as well positioned to take stock of Porter's qualities as anyone. Don't you think he'd have said "thanks but no thanks" if he didn't think this has a good chance to work?

5. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Absolutely, but he might be right or wrong. IMHO it would be a mistake.

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You understand that "rug" exists in greater numbers in Tippeligan, right? Even FIFA is okay with Portland's being used in a WC Final.

Low exposure? Like Bright Dike getting his first call up by Nigeria. Frank Songo'o getting a call up by Cameroon after a few years. MLS and Portland for that matter isn't as obscure as you think.

I've ventured too far into BS's wilderness and should return to more sane pastures.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's because it rains there along the coast all the time.

Ah, now I see his reasons for coming to the Timbers - it's like Norway but with more Taco Bells.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Porter praising Mix at the start of the U23 qualifying campaign, basically he had suspected Mix was far more of a luxury/soft midfielder and was pleasantly surprised by his effort/defense.

But what about fjords won't he be pining for the fjords...

prowazekii repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drive a few hours north.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? This confuses you? The poster is saying that Mix is similar in terms of style, and maybe level, to Adu and Feilhaber. Seems like a fair opinion to me based on very limited viewing of Mix, though time will tell.

deuteronomy and keller4president repped this.
  11. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    So, where exactly Mix intends to move? Nigeria or Cameroon?

12. bullit82

bullit82 Member

Forest Green Rovers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew not having a Taco Bell would have that kind of an effect. If he does go to Portland, I expect him to be in all the Taco Bell commercials in the US.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you intentionally being obtuse?

14. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland would be great in terms of me being able to watch more of his games, but imho for his career I think Italy or Ned would be better, MLS is like the opposite of those two styles. Also it's not as good exposure, seems tougher to negotiate moves and a lower level of play than europa.

But it would be pretty awsome for us MLS fans.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Or, you know, the next Bradley, Arena, Sigi or Hyndman. Seriously, is your memory that short?! Great college coaches have a great track record in MLS.

JG, Kejsare and xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should remember that during the Olympic Q process Porter really sang the praises of Mix as a high work rate box-to-box #8 instead of the #10 that most had previously been projecting.

Mix playing in front of a ball winning #6 with range and good ball skills would be a terrific combination in the center of the pitch for Portland. Maybe Porter should also rescue Morales from Herta. Mix and Morales had a fantastic partnership and totally dominated the midfield in the U23 friendly v Mexico!

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's significantly more mobile than either one of those two and you've never heard one iota of commentary about his attitude, which can't be said about either of the two you mentioned (admittedly, the comments about Feilhaber have been few, but there have been some).* In any case, greater mobility allows players to adapt to a wider range of styles of play, rather than forcing teams to come to them (as does an attitude, for that matter). Count me as someone who sees your initial comparison as being a little off the wall, being apparently based solely on the Europe to the US trajectory.

And oh yeah, I'm also with FA on this one, too: This thread is a permanent YA fixture.

*And I say this as someone who's wished nothing but success for either Benny or Freddy, over the years. They both have an element to their passing games that makes me want to watch them. On the other hand, that passing game--which could be transformative (maybe it must be if it's going to be of value to the team?)--has tended not to be due to other limiting factors.

Tom Collingsworth and sXeWesley repped this.
  18. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was as disappointed as anyone with Olympic qualifying. I think Porter is also as responsible as anyone for that failure. However, I don't think the failure to qualify had as much to do with tactics or a grasp of where to play players (though certain moves/non-moves are fair to question) as it did with how to manage a squad over the course of 3 games in a four day period (of a ten day tournament). I don't think that sample size is sufficient to draw hard and fast conclusions about his tactical acumen or player evaluation abilities and obviously managing an MLS team over the course of a 10 month season is an entirely different animal.

I think it is clear in hindsight that he made a bad decision in making a line up card on Saturday following the Thursday game.

Kejsare repped this.
  19. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogan.

20. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly did have a great partnership in that one.

Morales was basically bullying the Mexican midfield in that game. Absolutely loved what I saw out of him.

21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I didn't see that game. However, maybe bullying a Mexican U23 midfield doesn't make you a Bundesliga player.

deuteronomy repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not saying it ain't true but you do realize they are the Olympic champions. Right?

Kejsare, stonejh127, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  23. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Right; however, it's quite different against a team like that than against seasoned top-level vets; even if all Mexican players are up to that level individually.

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dutch League would be nice. Are you a GM for a team in the Dutch League and offering a contract? I haven't heard of Mix turning down a Dutch team in order to move to MLS, so there may be a problem with a lack of offers. It's not like he tore it up for Gent in the Belgian League.

MLS should be fine. A small step up from Norway, keeps him in the shop window for a future Euro move, and lets him live in the US for a few years. Plus, as a fan I'll get to watch him more in MLS broadcasts. Seems like a pretty solid option for a 22 year old.

Best of luck to Mix.

25. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me where I said he was a Bundesliga player?