Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the Norwegian season so technically it's up tomorrow?

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how will he open a Taco Bell there?

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Take-out?
    [​IMG]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix, any hints on what country(ies) your agent thinks your next contract could take you?

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to answer for Mix, but last I read Rosenborg were planning to pick up their option on his contract. At that time it sounded pretty certain that Mix would be staying in Norway.

6. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any idea if it's a one-way (club's decision) or a two-way (mutual decision) option?

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Rosenborg do not hold an option. They will, though, soon offer him a new deal.

SeaOtter and CDM76 repped this.
  8. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosenborg is a good option but since their interest is known hopefully they are like "the safety school"... there have got to be some teams in Netherlands/Belgium/Portugal/etc. that are looking for midseason reinforcements....

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Rosenborg has a turnover in excess of €21M ( ~ $27M), which is, at least, midtable in the Netherlands and upper third in Belgium. Mix has no reasons to leave just for anyone.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Financially no, there may not be as big of a reason to leave. Competitively there may be quite a few good reasons.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proving himself at a lower third to midtable club in one of those leagues would be a good way to attract attention from a bigger club (eg Bradley at Chievo Verona). I think Mix has proven to everyone that he can be one of the better players in Norway already. When he went to Gent and didn't get to play much, that didn't keep Rosenborg from signing him and playing him heavily even though it was a short term deal. There is now way to move up in Norway (sure Molde has won the last two years but what if OGS leaves), which is why given his current situation, I would compare Rosenborg to a safety school.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Not in the league, mostly because of injuries and US U-23 duty, but he did play seven of the 10 games in the postseason placement hex. Gent made one offer for him to Stabaek, who rejected it.

14. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
  15. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I am playing for a great club. Rosenborg. Absolutely super.

But earlier this year - I was on a loan deal from Stabæk to KAA Gent, from February to August. Also a good club. Fantastic fans and an awesome historic city that all US travelers should visit. I loved it there. However, I see that several people point out that it did not work out for me there. But that is not true at all, at least not the way I see it. I cut a deal with Gent stating that I would be allowed to prioritize all US Olympic campaign call ups, if I got call ups and hence was deemed good enough for Caleb Porter and his staff. I went to all camps. I made the US Olympic team, and I do not regret that one bit. If the rest of the US pro players had had the same provisions in their contracts, I think the USA would have been in London with a FOOTBALL TEAM, and with a good result. Remember, the ones of us that did prioritize the Olympic team ended up being the last team, and the only team, that outplayed the Mexican team that ended up as Olympic Champs. We were just not consistent enough. (Porter had 6wins 2draws and 1loss with the U-23's altogether I believe - not sure) That I, in between, got to play in as many games as I did for Gent, was to the credit of their head coach Mr. Sollied, and their great manager Mr. Lougawie, who stood by the deal we made, and myself. If their team had gotten serious injuries in the central midfield during my contract period - the deal was that I would have traveled less with the US U23, and played more with the Buffalos. The whole arrangement came about because I didn't want to let my mother club Stabæk, who was in a severe financial difficulty, have me -their central mid - be gone for half the matches and half the season - while they had to pay me. So I asked for a deal with a club that needed and could afford an able back-up who was willing to "work" for a reduced salary, as long as I was able to pursue my dream and goal. When the loan period was up, Gent wanted me to sign a long contract, however, somewhat reduced in economic terms from what they first had signaled, but only due to the fact that their economic situation had changed while they were building their new stadium. Fair. But that made me reject the offer. Gent of course thought that they either would have me during the entire spring season or get an olympic semifinalist come back - in return. Now they got neither.

But I want fans and players to know that ........................Stabæk was fair, I was fair, K.A.A. GENT was fair - and I think everything worked out for all parties, even though we all believed in and had different hopes for different outcomes when we entered into the agreements. Stabæk and Gent proved to be clubs to be trusted - because they were both managed by trustworthy managers and dealmakers.

panicfc, Zamphyr, BarcaLover and 54 others repped this.
  16. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mix. Great insight. So many factors in the professional game. Every now and then I liked to be reminded that us fans barely scratch the surface of club situations.

17. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo quiero Mix-ican food?

Pl@ymaker and m vann repped this.
  18. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Great post. Thanks.

19. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You ooze class my friend. You're so much older than what your date of birth says. If only many young players, or heck, playersi n general thought with your heart, soul, and give respect to this game like it deserves.

It's so funny what gets missed in headlines, and what REALLY is going on behind the scenes. Many times people speculate here, often times in negative ways... it's good to know a guy like you exists. I hope to one day see a classy, central US midfielder playing in a place like spain, where you'll excel and be like your idol, Xavi. :) I hope to see you reach the tip top with your dedication to this game... you deserve it.

Cheers!

GiallorossiYank and chalaron repped this.
  20. Celo's Bicycle

Feb 16, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight, and glad you are enjoying your current club, Mix.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Opening any business in Russia is a risky endeavor but there are Mexikanski restaurants there already.

22. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I love this guy Mix. What an amazing player and person to have on our team. We are supelucky as fans! Thanks dude, and here's to your future successes and endevours. In the realm of soccer and beyond it!

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised the article didn't mention the cap-tying nature of the Gold Cup, considering the writer discussed the recent pull of Norway.

25. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on now, Mix.

The USA did have a football team in London and they won a gold medal.

[​IMG]

Deeneaus and Testudo repped this.