Mid-East News II

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well let's get them to remove some settlements and then we can talk...

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    It's a Middle Eastern tragedy :(

8. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
  9. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully nobody drew a picture of their prophet or the death threats would be flying and rioting would be taking place....

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Mosul is Sunni. Can't imagine the Kurds & Shiites allowing this to happen in their areas..

11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, I read more about ISIL and they don't have the strength to take non Sunni areas. Could be back to a de facto partition if the Iraqi army cannot retake the ISIL areas.

JBigjake repped this.
  12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where we are today, after this insane Iraqi intervention, costing 4500 American lives, ten of thousands of Iraqis and a couple of trillion dollars later...Nice work & mission accomplished..Way to go, neocons!

The extent of the Iraqi army's defeat at the hands of militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis) became clear on Wednesday when officials in Baghdad conceded that insurgents had stripped the main army base in the northern city of Mosul of weapons, released hundreds of prisoners from the city's jails and may have seized up to $480m in banknotes from the city's banks.
    Iraqi officials told the Guardian that two divisions of Iraqi soldiers - roughly 30,000 men - simply turned and ran in the face of the assault by an insurgent force of just 800 fighters."
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/mosul-isis-gunmen-middle-east-states

13. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Then ISIL jumped back in their pick-up trucks, drove down the highway and now Tikrit has fallen.

14. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Iran has reportedly sent Quds battalions to Iraq, so that will give the govt/shia some effective forces to counter ISIS.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's quite embarrassing how weak the Iraqi army is (the US training obviously didn't work) ... it seems that without US & Iranian support for the Maliki government, the Sunni extremists from ISI would have an easy game.

I fear the same scenario for Aghanistan (replace ISIS with Taliban) after all foreign forces had left the country.

16. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
  17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let's see how Iraq Kurdistan will do about this.

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is what happens when you invade a country occupy it, kill hundreds of thousands of people ,create a power vacuum ,install a puppet sectarian government just to suck the resources dry just it benefit yourself and your cronies in the military-industrial complex. All based on lies of course. Iraq and the aftermath is probably geopolitically worse then Vietnam at least there you had a stable united government. What's funny is all the neocons kristol, McCain, heritage foundation, pearl, feith, wolfowitz, Cheney have the nerve to say we need to go In There and do something and that it's Obama fault for pulling out! We truly live in the world of the matrix.

Transparent_Human repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So from the graphic, we can conclude that the closer your government are as an ally to the USA the less liberal you are in your views.

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the US-Palestinian alliance is well known. Meanwhile, the US and Turkey have been to the brink of war dozens of times. And remember that time we bombed Kosovo to protect Serbians?

Sarcasm might not work with you, given your proclivity to pursue the narrative to any degree, but for the time being it's the strategy I'll work with.

Anthony, yasik19, ceezmad and 2 others repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2522 ceezmad, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    As Brummie said, plus yes the only reason Afghanistan and Pakistan are so high on the list is because they are allies with the USA.

I am sure if the Taliban where in control of both countries the people would feel way more liberal.

Moishe and American Brummie repped this.
  23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Turkey's a rather massive exception to that, no? I mean, relations have cooled, but they're still a NATO partner and the US has helped Turkey deal with the Syrian problem.

24. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The jump in opinions comes from Iraq and above. Of those countries, the US has taken the side of those oppressing the people (whether it is their elites as in Egypt, Pakistan or Afghanistan) or their enemies (such as israel).

Is it really a surprise that in countries with a religious population where the people are disenfranchised through the propping up of people of another religion, their religious views are less cosmopolitan?

I find the figures about execution of apostates to be disappointing but not surprising. The conquest of the Middle East outside the Jezira would not have occurred if apostates would have to be killed. Killing of apostates is only mandated where they actively commit treason against the state and do not repent. The treatment of the tribes who apostatised in the Ridda Wars bear this out.

On a related tangent, I would actually be interested to see what the views are in Iran, where US influence is minimal. A comparison of Iran and Iraq, for instance, would be interesting. I doubt there's a big difference tbh.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Iran, no Saudi Arabia (Gulf states), no India (one of the largest muslim populations), no Bangladesh.

Now they I look at it, it is not an all encompassing sample.

I guess than in Iraq we could see a difference between Shia and Sunni, one used to oppress the other and not this has reversed. I wonder if the views regarding sharia law and killing people that convert changed.