Mid-East News II

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #2476 JBigjake, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hours earlier, the Israeli military had issued a statement denouncing Zeiter as a "terrorist", saying he was killed after attacking security personnel with a metal bar, trying to seize a gun and attempting to strangle a soldier.

That's presumably what you yanks call being an 'activist judge' :D

I'm guessing they only found out he was a judge after they shot him but, maybe not...

The incident comes at a particularly delicate moment, with the United States seeking Jordanian support for Israeli-Palestinian peace talks that have reached a critical point.

Looks like the US can pencil that in as a 'no' then which I assume was the point of the exercise.

3. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yeah it looks like they auto-issued the template press release before realising it was a judge. And a Jordanian one at that. The Jordanians are pretty much the best friends they have in the region.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Perhaps the only friends. I don't know how much training the staff at the border receive, but most videos I've seen tend to show a general demeaning of the population.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which, to be fair, is probably why they're uploaded onto t'intertubes by people trying to make a point but, yeah... some of it isn't good :(

But I think the blunt truth is that you can't put forward a negative message of a population and then expect military personnel, often young men and women who are conscripts, to act properly, almost REGARDLESS of the level of training. Frankly, it's bloody amazing there aren't more of these sorts of things :(

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Horrible analogy learn some history sir.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Spot on, IMO. Learn some reality.

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In no way is Albania a similar situation to Israel.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yasik19 repped this.
  10. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    TMfanjan, I don't agree wit you re: Israel, but I understand your sympathies. On the surface, I'm confused why this Jewish state conditions coming up now since it wasn't required with Sadat and the peace with Egypt has been upheld for roughly 40 years. The same thing with Jordan.

But if others aren't required to establish Israel as Jewish state, then can other countries simply say Iran rath than the ISLAMIC Republic of Iran. IOW, diplomatically, Iran would NOT be the IRI but simply Iran and Iran could th internally define itself. Some in Iran view this as a sign of "regime change". ..maybe some in Israel have similar feeling?

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Ed Husain is a knobhead who has no credibility amongst Muslims when it comes to determining who is a radical and who is a moderate.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Right, b/c majority of Muslim killings are done by Israelis and Americans. Spot on, as usual.

14. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #2490 teammellieIRANfan, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    It probably has something to do with Palestinian refugee question. Israel does not want to repatriate those refugees because it could potentially disturb the ethnic balance. So it wants the refugees to end their claims to right of return, but Israel is negotiating with the Palestinian Authority about it. Hmm... :rolleyes:
    PA hardly speaks for Palestinian expatriates, it doesnt even speak for its West Bank "constituents".

However, I honestly think this refugee question can be solved on mutually agreed terms.
    But that means negotiating with the real stake-holders, not a puppet security-apparatus regime like Fatah.
    If we uncover the mask and see the real face of Fatah/PA, it is a subcontractor for the Israeli occupation and its main job is to impose order in the West Bank bantustans, at Israel's behest.

Anyway I wonder how many of those refugees are dying to return to Israel/Palestine.
    They must realise that their villages does not really exist anymore. Besides majority of refugees are not the one's that were actually forced out form the land, but belong to the newer generation that were born outside of Israel/Palestine.
    It can theoretically be solved, its just a bit technical.

15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Truth hurts I guess.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So does math, hence I assume numbers and you don't get along. That's quite all right, it's hard for most people to eventually come to the conclusion that Muslims kill exponentially higher number of Muslims on a daily basis than US or Israel ever had. If you need me to send you a calculator, please PM me your address.

17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Numbers are involved here, I'm gonna side with the Jewish guys.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  18. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I thought Arabs invented numbers, at least Arabic numerals ;)

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you are including killing those who are puppets or collaborators with the US then I guess your math adds up. Radical extremism in any form is vile but don't ever try to paint America or Israel as the "good guys" and expect people to take you seriously on Mideast issues with all due respect.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    If by people you mean yourself, then I'm quite all right with that. Plus this is the internet, so if you expect anyone to take anyone seriously, I got a bridge to sell you.

21. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Plus this is the internet, so if you expect anyone to take anyone seriously, I got a bridge to sell you.[/quote]

Touché agreed

22. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #2498 teammellieIRANfan, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Norooz: Dates, Traditions, And History Of The Persian New Year

The Persian New Year is called Norooz (also Nowruz, Nawroz, among other spellings) and marks the first day of spring. It's also the Baha'i New Year, but the holiday is celebrated by Iranians of all religions.

History
    Norooz celebrates renewal and rebirth, symbolized by the coming of spring. It is partly rooted in the Zoroastrian tradition, but is an ancient holiday that was celebrated thousands of years ago. Now, it is also an important Iranian cultural holiday that spans many religious traditions. The word Nowruz is a compound word that blends together the Persian words "now" which means "new," and "roz" which means "day."

Dates
    In 2014, Norooz will begin on March 20 at 8:27 p.m. local time in Tehran, according to Farsinet. The exact moment of the new year is called Tahvil. Norooz lasts 12 days in Iran. It coincides with the vernal equinox, so its date in the Gregorian calendar changes every year.

Traditions
    On the last Wednesday of the old year, the night of Chahar Shanbe Suri is celebrated in order to symbolically get rid of all the misfortunes and bad luck of the past year. People light small bonfires and jump over the flames, shouting "Zardie man az to, sorkhie to az man," which means, "May my sickly pallor be yours and your red glow be mine." It is also acceptable to simply light a flame and shout the phrase.

A traditional ceremonial table display is set up called the sofreh-ye haft-sinn ("cloth of seven dishes"). Behrooz Far and his wife Nava explained to interfaith activist Rothwell Polk, "The haft-sinn table is set with the Kitab-i-Aqdas, our Holy Book, flowers, a bowl of goldfish, a mirror, candles and painted eggs and seven traditional foods each starting with the letter 's' in Persian." This table remains in the family home for thirteen days after the start of the holiday.

The seven traditional foods are:
    • sabzeh: lentil, barley or wheat sprouts growing in a dish, symbolizing renewal
    • samanu: a thick, sweet pudding made from wheat germ, symbolizing affluence
    • senjed: dried fruit of the lotus tree, symbolizing love
    • sir: garlic, symbolizing medicine
    • sib: apples, symbolizing health and beauty
    • somaq: sumac berries, symbolizing sunrise
    • serkeh: vinegar, symbolizing age and patience.
    A traditional dinner for Norooz is Sabzi Polo Mahi, a rice dish with whitefish and green herbs like parsley, coriander, chives, dill, and fenugreek, explains Polk.

After thirteen days, Sizdeh Bedar is celebrated, which literally means "getting rid of the thirteenth." Families throw green sprouts into rivers or lakes to symbolize the plant's return to nature and conclude the festivities until the next year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/norooz-2014-nowruz-_n_4995607.html#slide=3534178
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JBigjake repped this.
  23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    @ teammellieIRANfan

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999