Michael Stephens - European Adventure

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 28, 2014.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    #26 iamalfred, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    It does sound strange for him to be totally gassed after 45 minutes, but there could of course be external factors too like he's coming down with a cold or something. Either way, from the managers comments after the game in this article from the local paper it sounds unlikely that they will sign the two americans. He says that for the club to sign another player he would have to be better and stand out compared to the players they already have and none of their three trialists have stood out according to him.

Testudo repped this.
  2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    True, they had one of the more unlikely seasons for a swedish team in a long time last year and ended up getting promoted. I can also add that Stephens might very well have a bigger chance of getting signed with Falkenberg compared to GAIS even though they play in a higher division because Falkenberg have lost three of their best players from last season while GAIS have strengthened their squad. Maybe I would be exaggerating a bit if I said that GAIS actually currently is stronger player for player, but it's at least not far off.

Chance, Tom Collingsworth and m vann repped this.
  4. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    It doesn't seem like Stephens has had his hart in these last two trials in sweden.

I do believe that Stabæk wants to sign Stephens. In the freindly games we have played this preseason, the team has looked much better with him in the lineup than without. Stabæks problem is that they only have opening for one more foreign player in the roster, and they also want to sign a Spanish striker. (And perhaps Pickens aswell)

They may however be looking to offload another foreign player currently on the roster to make room for both the spaniard and Stephens.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    BTW Stephens is back in Norway training with Stabæk.

6. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Through a joint effort from a small group of hard core supporters and sponsor Sparebank1 OsloAkershus Stabæk has received funds to help finance the signing of Michael Stephens. So even though it is not yet official, I do believe Stephens will be playing for Stabæk this comming season.

Hobo, Geneva, cpwilson80 and 7 others repped this.
  7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be really cool

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great except for the Sparebank neck tattoo you have to get...
    upload_2014-2-27_15-11-48.jpeg

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to get that tattoo, I'd go spare!

10. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Stabæks official fan club doubled the money from SpareBank1 and the small group of supporters, thus Stephens was signed, and will be playing in the blue striped jerzey for the next couple of seasons. Welcome to Stabæk Michael!

11. cappiello

cappiello Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    These last couple of games he has been tested in a 'nbr. 10'-role just behind the striker, and he has not been as good as he was when playing as a inside midfielder in the first couple of test games. He doesn't get that much involved when playing further upfield. So I think we are best served with giving him som sort of box-to-box duty in the central midfield. However, that probably does not fit well with Bradleys preferred setup with two holding midfielders...

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob had an interesting tactical evolution when coaching the Nats. At first, we played what bigsoccer derisively called an empty bucket. Basically, it was a 4-4-2 with both midfielders acting like #6s, both shielding the backline and rarely getting forward. It worked poorly in part because it didn't match our talent, and in part because if you think about how it looks on a field, the distance from the central mids to the strikers was too far; the distribution from back to front either had to go down the wings, or be a long ball into traffic. It was called the empty bucket because the midfield sort of made that kind of a shape.

Then he turned his son loose and it became more of a 4-1-3-2, and then eventually it was a full 4-4-2 with both central mids having many defensive AND offensive responsibilities. It made for many exciting comebacks, but it also made for many disheartening lost leads. As implemented, the tactic was too open IMO. Given our personnel, it was too common for both central mids to be caught upfield. I still think the US might well have made the semifinals in South Africa if Maurice Edu had been in central midfield and tasked with doing little more than shield the back four, rather than Ricardo Clark who got forward more because that's his skillset. (If that seems outlandish, remember that Ghana needed extra time to beat the US after Clark had a complete nightmare, and Uruguay needed PKs to beat Ghana.)

It's interesting that he has started his tenure at Staebek playing with neither central mid having much offensive responsibility. Same as with the US.

(If you ever get some horrible disease that causes you to be quarantined for a month, you can look at old threads on big soccer about Bob's tactics. A search for the word "nepotism" will be a good start.)

(God, I'm evil. :D)

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Stephens talks about becoming Stabaek's "Supporter's Player"

Interview here

Testudo and Dr.Phil repped this.
  15. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Stan Van Gundy just endorsed Bob as a great tactician and underrated coach during the UMass-GW basketball game on NBC Sports, so that should settle it.

16. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Actually, Bradley played a straight 4-4-2 with the USA. The "empty bucket" was just a figment of some BS posters' over-active imaginations.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you're wrong.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  18. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Either that, or you are one of the delusional ones.

19. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Fire up some heatmaps and prove it.

20. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Exactly, I challenge anyone to find a complete match heatmap showing the alleged empty bucket.

21. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Mods, I realize this isn't the forum for this and beg your forgiveness.

http://theshinguardian.com/2010/06/02/tactical-breakdowns-usa-v-turkey/
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/usa-world-cup-2010-tactics/
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/26/ghana-2-1-united-states-tactics/
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/13/england-1-1-usa-tactic/

Not exactly a bucket since the two advanced midfielders are narrow, but no question the 2 center mids play well behind the two advanced mids in a 4-2-2-2 system.

Attached Files:

22. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Bob is surely not a master tactician. Does not mean that he is a bad coach, but he is facing big trouble over here now and that is on a lagre part due to his choice of tactics.

Lots of players testet out of position. Amongst them Stephens in the nbr 10 role, were he is not able to impact the game.

23. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Hmm, I'm beginning to question Stephens qualities...