Michael Parkhurst at Nordsjaelland (Denmark) discussion thread [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Hedbal, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Re: Michael Parkhurst to Denmark?

As written (in post 46), then lots of centre backs from the Danish league get to move abroad.. and they are also known to get instant success, like Brede Hangeland and the very young Simon Kjær... When was the last time a centre back from MLS got instant success in the Italian serie A or the English PL ?...

2. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ryan Nelson >>> Blackburn January 2005
    Instant starter, Fan Favorite and eventual Team Captain

So a little while ago. We are due for another.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like it, good move. And Denmark.....the women, WOW. from my experience, hottest in all Europe. I know he's married but still theres this thing called eye candy :p. He'll have himself a good time there.

the SAS is realizing they can get quality players in MLS for cheap, itll be a good stepping stone for him. If Parkhurst is good enough to advance to one of the top 4, he'll be there soon enough. If he impresses here you can count on it, and i think Parkhurst is good enough to do that.

Youll be getting a very smart, cerebral defender for your league Ceres. Despite a slight lack in size, he is a fantastic field marshall. I think youll be impressed, enjoy him while he lasts :p

4. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A move to the Danish Superliga wouldn't be bad for Parkhurst, but I'll admit that I too had hoped for a bit better. And as a person who follows English soccer more closely than any other European league, I selfishly hoped he'd take advantage of his Irish passport and play in the UK. :) But Ceres has pointed out on numerous occasions that the Danish Superliga can be a good stepping stone for promising younger players, and as Clint Eastwood mentioned, I think Parkhurst's size became prohibitive for prospective suitors. Once Parkhurst shows that he can do the job in the SAS (and he will, because he's a good player), I think we'll see him move up.

With regards to the national team issue, Danny Califf gets plenty of looks with the Nats as a Superliga player (granted his team is at or near the top of the division), but at the same time, Parkhurst may miss out on getting a few caps in friendlies and qualifiers where Bob Bradley calls primarily on domestic players (such as the recent Guatemala match). At least he'll be available in our January friendlies as a result of the Danish league's winter break.

I would actually say that Clint Dempsey and Jimmy Conrad were the most impressive US players in the 2006 World Cup, and both were playing in MLS at the time. And when you give Europe credit for Donovan in 2002, remember that he had spent 2 and a half seasons in MLS prior to the 2002 World Cup, so I'm not sure that argument flies either.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HA HA HA that's funny because it's true!!!

6. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

.....and utterly crazy to boot. I only mean it in the very best possible sense of the word!! :p I recently had a Danish/German girlfriend for about 6 weeks. Most torridly exciting month and a half of my life with easily the hottest woman I've dated in my 31 years.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I can't imagine a single man trying to make a career in football surrounded every day by Danish women. He'd better be bringing her over too!

Anyways, FC Nordsjælland could use some help in the back. They just got smacked 3-0 by Midtjylland, and are one of the worst defensive teams in the Superliga this year. Assuming he can already start training with them, Parkhurst will have the full 3-month break to gel with the team before they are back for the 2nd half of the season.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I'm always a bit sceptical about foriegn defenders (from outside Scandinavia) trying their luck in the Superliga... especially centre backs, since some of the absolute biggest foreign flops in the Danish league have been centre backs... The last one being the Austalian international Michael Beauchamp... though it should be said that some manage to adapt tactically after 6-12 month, but the first 6 month in the Superliga most foreign defenders usually look like "Bambi on ice" as it also was the case with Danny Califf..

8. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006

And ... if I recall, your club was none too pleased with Wade Barret for the same reason, no?

The again, our best "products" in the SAS in recent years have been Califf and Pearce - both defenders. White has seemed to be good, though in and out of the lineup. And the other Yanks in SAS have seemed to have left very little impression. Funny how Pearce and Califf adjusted.

9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These are great points. Gooch, as we all know, struggled to make it at Newcastle. On a more personal note, I coach an Anglo team in a almost entirely Hispanic men's league. Last spring, we added a new player, a sweeper who had played Division 1 soccer. Although, the ability was obviously there, he seemed out of sync, he would commit too early sometimes, overcommit on others. 6 months later he has found the rhythm of play and rarely makes a mental error or commits a foul.

The key in this situation is for the player to be willing to adjust his game to the situation. Willingness is crucial. I think Parkhurst will do very well in Denmark. I believe you have a very good one, there.

In 2005, he committed just 5 fouls the entire MLS season. That is very impressive. One of the ways defenders typically compensate for making a mistake is to foul. He is very cerebral.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Califf may not be your best example here in comparison to Parkhurst, given many USA fans' belief, prior to his move abroad, that Califf = Orange Traffic Cone. I'm not saying whether I think Parkhurst would instantly adapt to Denmark or not. Just that Califf is to Parkhurst as apples are to oranges.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Does mean you won't sign black players?:eek:

For the record, I'm kidding.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Beasley got hurt. Mathis was used intermittently. Hejduk got a yellow card suspension.

McBride did play well, as did Pablo.

And, yes, McBride had spent time in Europe before.

Yes, he does.

But Parkie is going to the A-League, apparently (isn't that where North Zeeland is?).

Dempsey did well vs. Italy and OK vs. Ghana (he did score, which bumps his grade).

I didn't think much of Conrad (or Pope, for that matter).

And, yes, some MLS players did well but the backbone of the team from 1994 onward has been and will be increasingly based in Europe.

He spent about two years with Leverkusen II and a year and a half with the Earhquakes prior to the Cup.

I would say that Leverkusen played a better quality football then.

As well as now.

And all the time in between.

Anyhow, getting back to Parkhurst - if the money is good and the play is suitable, then that's as much as one can ask for.

Michael is smart by MLS standards but he was schooled at the Olympics by the much more talented Nigerian forwards. Those guys had moves that he hadn't seen up until then.

He'll have a chance to see a higher quality competition and earn his stripes in an improving league.

IMO, in two years, he'll be with a Colaship promotion contender but only if it has a bigger back to protect him.

I could also see him end up somewhere like Italy, which is more ground-based league that any in England.

When you have the passport, this sort of traveling is a lot easier.

13. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Califf is more like an apple tree. Large and immobile.

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Wade Barrett never managed to adapt, but I guess the biggest flop ever in Denmark was a Dutch centre back, who was actually quite experienced and highly regarded in the Dutch top-flight club he came from..

Pearce was a young talent when he came to Denmark to more or less start his career, which made it easier for him to adapt...

15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Califf is slow, but got some qualities that makes him the perfect captain in defense... Perhaps Parkhurst is going to adapt well or just be a new "Wade Barrett"...

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One of Parkhurst's strength's (like Califf) is to put himself in the situation where he doesn't have to be fast.:D

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Parkhurst's problem is his size - or lack thereof - and, conceivably, strength.

His speed is good enough for that position.

Had he had better foot skills, he could even play in defensive midfield and I would hope that he works on that part of his game to give himself more career options.

Wade Barrett just never had the wheels to be a quality left back.

The disastrous 2008 playoffs for his club - the two-time defending champion Houston Dynamo - was largely on his head, as Wade failed to contain a speedy Jamaican international Dane Richards, who plays on the right wing for the New York Red Bulls.

Getting back to Parkie - he had a lot of problems with the Nigerian duo of Chinedu Ogbuke and Victor Obinha at the Olympics ... which, considering what Edu has done since the Olympics, should not have been a surprise.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You also need to keep in mind that Parkhurst struggled in a match when our defense was incredibly stretched in the worst possible situation - playing a man down against an athletic and speedy team. I'm not sure you can pin too much blame or accurately gauge Parkhurst's liabilities just from that match.

Plus, as I remember, Parkhurst & Edu did a pretty decent job against Ryan Babel in the previous match.

19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These are very good points. It takes away a bit of Michael's game to have to play down a man. He is a field marshall type sweeper who likes to sort out the variables in front of him. When the variables are reduced, he is not as effective.
    To Victor Obinna's credit, he certainly made a sweet move and took his shot well. Of course, he had to beat Parkhurst to do it.

20. revving

revving New Member

Oct 23, 2007

lest we forget.....out of the 4 players playing defense, how many were true defenders? Mental fatigue from the heat and number of games had alot to do with the outcome of that last game.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can we please never mention that game. Ugh.

22. stenerline

stenerline New Member

Dec 5, 2008

I think that the danish league is perfect for a player like him, its a bit small but still scouted by the bigger leagues. Though most players from MLS tends to be "lottory tickets" - they tend to suck. The best north american player in the danish league is Atiba Hutchinson and he is Canadian.

23. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000

Wow, that's going to really disappoint Danny Califf, Jerry White and a few others.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hutchinson is clearly, clearly better than Jerry White. Silly comparison.

Califf is a closer call, though most neutrals would probalby favor Hutchinson, though we probably ought to ask a neutral. Ceres?

25. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006

Atiba Hutchinson is a stud. I'm a Yank fan, but the guy can ball.