Michael Bradley- Deadspin/Howler Magazine Profile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dwsmith1972, Aug 13, 2013.

1. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a great fit for N and A to me. Thanks for posting it.

3. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, appreciated the small details in this, particularly the Italian descriptions of Michael's game. And his favorite pasta dish sounds worth a Saturday evening of experimentation in my kitchen (albeit, likely failed).

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. His summary

was particularly good, I thought.

5. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    One reason I love him playing in Italy. They understand and appreciate the subtle quality of his game that would get overlooked in other leagues.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This really annoys me.

Bradley>Jones going forward.

Jones or someone else (Cameron, etc.) should sit back.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    How cool is this picture?
    [​IMG]

(TxT), xbhaskarx, WrmBrnr and 4 others repped this.
  8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other side of that coin is: Unpredictability > Predictability

Assuming they can make it work, I like them switching it up. The fact that either one of them can show up in goal-creating positions at any time has to be a nightmare to game plan for. I think it's worth continuing to refine the system.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This is a good point.

10. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great read, thanks for posting.

This team is going as far as Bradley takes it in 2014.

11. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

This is a really great point, and as long as JJ and Bradley communicate well (and get used to playing together), this could lead to some really dangerous offensive play from central midfield.

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good piece.

"Have eyes. Watch."

Great advice.

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "On BigSoccer.com, you can find over 40 pages of comments in just one thread on the subject. Michael claims the chatter never bothered him. But I wondered if his father felt the same way, and if he'd be willing to speak to me about raising and coaching his son." Started from the bottom, now we here!

TheRightPants and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Loved this feature on him. The guy is so driven. I go back and forth between who our best player is, between him and Donovan. You can't go wrong with either pick. And the word I'd use to describe him, and something the author touched on, is efficient. He is incredibly efficient. He knows exactly what his team needs, and he gives exactly that much - no more, no less. That filters all the way down to his touches, passes, and tackles.

Finally, you can feel the anger from both Bradleys when it comes to the idea of nepotism. Punks like Wynalda...they wish they were as good as Bradley.

But the author was definitely not wrong about the controversy surrounding the idea of nepotism. As the Mod around here during some of the Bradley years, that was always the toughest part of the job in the USA forums. .

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got in some huge wars with people on here about the n-word in re Bradley.

The one point I would always concede to the Jose Torres/Stuart Holden/Kyle Beckerman brigade (can we all just laugh about some of this now, lads?) is that yes, Mike Bradley's coming from an athletic family and being raised around college and pro soccer was a huge advantage in his development. It opened doors.

But there were other doors that were still closed-doors of respect both inside and outside this country. Mike Bradley-and only Mike Bradley-knocked those doors down, stomped on them till they were splinters, and then picked Italian pasta out of his teeth with them.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  16. Ms_Spiritus

Ms_Spiritus Member

Aug 27, 2002
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know he's a daddy to an infant son. Oh where have the days gone?

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the BigSoccer nepotism shout out in the article.:D

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

What's the Italian translation for "cap him now!"?

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice article, but the references to the nepotism debate are a little bit cheap. Nepotism means that Michael received more playing time and/or sooner than he would have had Bob not been the coach. That debate arose when he was initially integrated into the team. Of course, it's immaterial now and was more or less after 2007 or so.

My point is that Michael could become the next Roy Keane and win 3 Champions League titles -- I certainly hope he does -- but it wouldn't change the truth or falsehood of that counterfactual claim, so it's not really pertinent to the story of his achievements in Italy.

Also, Bruce's capping of Michael was a courtesy and it was acknowledged as so by Bruce at the time. He was just brought into the pre-World Cup camp as a warm body because he wasn't playing in MLS and played briefly in a warm up friendly is my recollection.

Deep Wilcox and nbarbour repped this.
  20. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I don't think you could do a decent story on Bradley without bringing up that there were charges of nepotism when he started getting playing time. They were clearly wrong, as he's one of our best players now, but that doesn't change that it's an important part of the story.

21. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My whole post was really to point out that the bolded is a logical fallacy and one that the writer also indulges.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to do this but God help me I have to..

Name the player that Mike Bradley took NT minutes from who would have improved the USMNT beyond what they have achieved with MB on the pitch.

WrmBrnr and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't understand what you're saying. Are you disagreeing that Bradley is one of the best USMNT players? Are you saying that his playing time was the result of nepotism?

24. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Absolutely agree. I think when Jones sits back and keeps it simple, he can be outstanding as a 6.

25. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but how often have they actually clicked where they seemed a cohesive unit knowing where the other player was? They've played plenty of times together and it still seems like they're not clicking, to my eyes.