Michael Bradley - AS Roma v Torino 11/19/12

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by HouseHead78, Nov 19, 2012.

1. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    He made a couple of runs with the ball during the Russia game, where he pulled away from defenders. I think his wheels are better than people think, just doesn't show em off as much.

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    mike is plenty fast.

I sometimes wonder if people around here actually watch games.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I watch a lot and I think he is a fantastic player. But he is not fast. But as I said below, he is SOCCER fast, which is far more important.

4. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he has tremendous ball control. He is faster than you'd think just by looking at him though.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikes top end speed is fine (not great, but decent enough), its his quickness, particularly his lateral quickness, that causes him problems. Hes got a lot of wonderful qualities though. So you either have to be a little careful how you use him, or just realize that to play him your giving up some things defensively to get some offensive things and try to make sure the trade is worth it. Again, hes developed wonderfully, so it usually is, but its a mistake not to think the tradeoff is there.

Against a weaker opponent he is fine as a 6, defense is less important then keeping possession and moving the ball around well. I think it gets a lot dicier when the opponent can attack him in space effectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see him used at this position against teams that don't look to really push out against Roma but sit back and try to pack it in.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think Mike's full out sprint speed is more than fine, if you look at world cup top speed data he's in the top quarter of players. I'd think that his relative lack of quickness is an issue when he has to turn and run over 5-10 yards, if he's being attacked in space he likely has time to anticipate or the time to recover.