Michael Bradley - AS Roma v Torino 11/19/12

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by HouseHead78, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very funny. Or, maybe schadenfreude on your part? Twinkies may be gone, but never, ever forgotten!!

2. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ream would struggle a lot in Serie A I think. While it is not as physical as England, you've got to be a tough defender.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might not be a ho, but he does have them in different area codes.

4. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think he would get destroyed.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    When I was growing up, this was the gold standard for lunch box treasure - twinkie snd hoho's were cooper and silver.
    [​IMG]

Mikey is a treasure ... there back on topic.

GRUNT repped this.
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is already starting to happen. He is starting to show he can be world class (IMO) at the '6' position. He has all the qualities. He can score from outside the box, he is a neat, tidy, passer of the ball. He has great long pass accuracy. He is a tenacious tackler, is decently quick, and knows how to support his backline always going to pick up the ball to distribute from the back.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So when are you going to tell the rest of the guys that they have to catch up?

9. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I dont think any of them have the potential to get to his level right now.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed.

11. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Yep. I'm really not much of an Ives fan, myself, but the original tweet was:

@worldfootballcm: Stat of the Day courtesy of Michael Bradley of Roma after 80': 63 passes w/ a 95 percent completion rate. Stay calm and pass it to Bradley.

Amoia is well worth following, btw. Often translates press conferences.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MB rated 6.5 and both Totti and Lamela get 6 according to the Gazzetta.

Whether "the opponent was pressing enough for Bradley to have been important" is a truly bizarre comment and anyways wouldn't that have influenced both Lamela and Totti's rating as well.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what is interesting abut Michael is that, while he is not running fast, he is soccer fast. I think of him as our Zidane. That guy was slow as hell, BUT he was damn quick in a soccer match.

14. Celo's Bicycle

Feb 16, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch the game? Torino sat back and allowed Bradley space to collect the ball from defense and play it safely forward to the other midfielders or forwards. He almost always played the safe pass. He did his job well, but he was not pressured that often.

Totti and Lamela created the lion's share of Roma's chances.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is a true observation. But I also saw where he was a third CB (at times), and when Torino would jumble the ball in the box, he'd tidly (is this a word?) pass the ball out of the back, first time when the torino players would do a loose pass. He'd ping it out of trouble to a midfielder for a quick counter attack.

He's sharp in that area. Sure, there wasn't much pressure on that game, once second half, Torino hit a mental wall... but Totti, Lamela, Osvaldo, all were having issues communicating and missing passes, going left instead of right, just not understanding... and playing pretty sloppy! Mike had the cleanest passes of all the players, direct, on point, and always accurate. There is only one time where Totti did a back heel/flip where mikey didn't understand/see it coming and he was kind of bitched at by Totti for staying back instead of making the run for his back heel into space.

He's your classic 6 that game. Great performance by him.

Bees Knees repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing Bradley to Zidane may be your most asinine comment yet. And I love Bradley.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  17. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I understood what you were getting at. Mo Edu is a serviceable 6 until he gets pressed. That is when you notice his lack of quality.

chalaron repped this.
  18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totti and Lamela played different positions then MB and thus had different responsibilities. Your "they didn't press him enough" argument still rings hollow. Reminds me of Mexicans complaining that Tim Howard stopped too many shots.

Again Gazzeta rated MB higher than both Totti and Lamela, as did I and possibly Zeman since Totti came off. So did they get it wrong or are you just smarter than the Italian sportswriters?

19. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing you and Bruce have some history that compells your crankiness, but saying Bradley is "our Zidane" does not necessarily express or imply that Bradley is of the same quality as Zidane; just that he's the closest thing we have to it. That doesn't seem too outrageous a view.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not outrageous, but it is a good illustration of one of the many funny phenomena regularly seen on BS. Whenever one poster compares two players of different stature (or era, or country, or position, or ...) to illustrate a point, you can almost be certain another poster will jump in to complain that the two players don't belong in the same sentence together (or some variant of that thought).

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that his style is nowhere similar to Zidane, even taking into account their difference in quality. Zidane was a classic number 10 and the most creative player in the world. He was valued for his skill and vision. He was not known for his defensive qualities.

Mikey, on the other hand, is known first and foremost as a defensive player who is also tidy with the ball. He's not an especially skilled player with the ball at his feet. No one has ever confused him with a number 10, however. His game is nothing like Zidane's. The only similarity is that they play in the middle of the midfield. The closest thing we have to Zidane would be Fredua, of all people.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and HartwickFan repped this.
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Comparing Bradley Adu to Zidane may be your most asinine comment yet. And I love Bradley Adu.

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never make the comparison. I did for the sake of example. And you completely failed to respond to the substance of my post.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "The closest thing we have" is a comparison, and you made it.

The substance of your post was not really relevant to my original point, but if you compare your 'asinine' post (#91) to your clarifying post (#95), perhaps the light will begin to dawn. The former is pure BS reflex; the latter defends a point of view.

Okay, I'm done ...

25. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Since he didn't I will. Bruce said nothing about skill on the ball, but rather observed mikey ain't quick in the traditional sense, but he gets by in soccer games, kinda like Zidane aint all that quick, but he did all right. You saw the two names in the same sentence, and then WHOOSH the baby was out the window.

Dave216J repped this.