Miami Franchise news thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLS1FAN, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The corner is definitely covered in Florida, but there is still a gap of nothingness for most of the southeast (as south Florida is an unreasonably long drive for anyone not already in Florida.

I know the rest of the southeast is composed mostly of smaller markets, but it would help fill in MLS's pull to the region.

One of these markets really needs to get a team for MLS to have a better national pull, two would just be icing on the cake: Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Charlotte (Raleigh, Birmingham, Knoxville, and Memphis very very peripherally).

While not filling in the "soccer gap" in the southeastern US, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincy, & Austin could also be added to help fill the periphery of the region.

Either way, nothing will happen without the ownership and drive from the city.

2. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    So what is the end timeline? What if there is no stadium deal by 2016? 2018? Does the team start in a different stadium (giving MLS two potentially distraous expansion teams playing in rented stadiums)? Never happen? Continue as "TBD" in perpetuity?

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #128 tab5g, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Certainly. But if Beckham/MLS can make it seem like they are not seeking "public subsidies" then it very well could just be the city/county who is willing to provide that "room" and the associated and very real public subsidies because they (the mayor and commissioners) recognize (or hope for) the benefits to the overall re-development of the downtown area that would include a new stadium project.

It is all about controlling the message. Facts aren't always the most important thing.

JukeBox and edwardgr repped this.
  4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm guessing they're not focused on the potential "negative" outcomes (or setting a timeline for those).

They're fine with a TBD expansion/launch date -- as MLS is apparently comfortable playing with an odd number of teams as needed for however many seasons, it would seem.

Certainly there's no guarantee, at this point, that Miami will be the next team to start playing after Orlando and NYCFC being in 2015.

JukeBox repped this.
  5. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear if Arthur Blank doesn't get this Atlanta team I will flip my shit....but in good news we finally have a Nats team coming to Atlanta

6. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Which makes it odd to make an announcement. I guess you might think it puts on people standing in the way of a deal, but it really just concedes leverage.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not at all sure how it "just concedes leverage."

This type of press event could very astutely be a positive and worthwhile step in MLS's negotiations with Miami-Dade County for a stadium for the team. If the message is, "all this area needs is a stadium, and Beckham's team can start playing here" -- that seems like a fairly useful announcement for MLS's business needs.

8. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just formulating a response with the same sentiments. The illusion that no subsidies are sought because team Beckham is footing the stadium cost is really what matters. The city can spin the public improvement part of it anyway it likes.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #134 tab5g, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    And it may be a better or more-successful approach relative to what the league is (and teams are) seeing or attempting (or has attempted) for NYCFC or DC United, as the case may be with those stadium projects/needs.

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    They prefer "the sunshine state".

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm pretty sure it was the same lady that interpreted the Spanish language questions. She did a bad job. Sounded nervous. There's a lesson for you, kiddies. Live interpretation is not for amateurs.

sitruc repped this.
  12. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Miami.
    [​IMG]

AmericanKaka, redinthemorning and joelk repped this.
  13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because bright colors are working so well for the Marlins...

edwardgr repped this.
  14. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be the first to say Ray Hudson should be the first coach for the team.

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    You're not the first to say that.

(And, it's probably not a great idea anyway. At this point, Ray Hudson would likely make a better unofficial mascot or capo rather than a coach for this new team.)

16. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is the 9th largest TV market in the US.
    That's why it is on the radar, well that and Arthur Blank has some interest in it.
    http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_TVHH_DMA_Ranks_2013-2014.pdf

And speaking as someone in Austin, I have no idea how we made it onto your list. But if you think Austin is worthy you might pay attention to all the recent chatter about San Antonio as team 24.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, Atlanta certainly. Charlotte maybe. But few other places in the south are soccer hot spots.
    Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_American_soccer_players_by_US_state
    Georgia is a true soccer hot spot that has produced many important players. Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky and S. Carolina are not.

18. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    [quote="ArsenalMetro, post: 29506524, member: 131112"
    Miami is a garbage sports city[/quote]

Answer honestly: do you think other NBA team's wouldn't have fans leaving in that same situation? The comeback was nothing short of a miracle. Not saying it's fine some people left, but you're kidding yourself if you think that situation was unique to Miami.

The Miami HEAT have been above 90% capacity in the last DECADE, with the majority of those years above 99%. They averaged 99% capacity the year they went 15-67 and still above 93% the year after. The "garbage sports city" argument fails when you take the HEAT into account, who's only shortcomings are replayed over and over again until the average sports fan believes they actually are a terrible fanbase (which is simply not true when you actually look at the data).

chrayatl, (TxT) and redinthemorning repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    True, Miami is just an average sports city. They'll attend well when you have a decently run team.

20. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how you judge who should get a professional sports franchise, by what state people were born in?

tab5g repped this.
  21. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Well, Beckham's expansion fee discount is probably what is allowing them to so easily forgo any public subsidies for the stadium construction.

JukeBox repped this.
  22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Well, it might be in large part how Chivas USA selected LA/Carson.

And we see how well that seems to be going for that franchise.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sport aside, no, I don't think other fans would leave in that situation. I was at Game 4 of the 2001 World Series. No one left that game early.

Also, 3 out of 4 teams having horrible attendance makes a city a bad sports city. The Heat are the outlier. You mention that they've had great attendance for a decade - that's true: the attendance jumped significantly when they traded for Shaq, and they've made the playoffs all but one year since then. Before that, they were at roughly 79% capacity annually. What happens to their attendance when they lose their stars, LeBron leaves/gets old, and they're bad? Probably something along the lines of what happened in the years preceding the LeBron signing:

2007-08: 19,463
    2008-09: 18,268
    2009-10: 17,730
    LeBron signs
    2010-11: 19,778

Miami is a sports city that's in it for the glamour. If they don't have huge star power in front of them, they don't give a damn. It's likely that Beckham will be able to bring in big-name soccer players for his club, but will they be big-name players to the general public? Unless it's Messi or Ronaldo, probably not. That's concerning for a city with a bad tradition of supporting the majority of its professional sports teams and had a poorly-supported, even for the early days, MLS club.

24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can talk about the city of Miami and its fanbase all we want, but its not going to change that its where Beckham has decided.

Might as well hope for the best if your an MLS fan in general.

JukeBox, fuzzx, EvilTree and 1 other person repped this.
  25. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reason MLS and Chivas decided to be in LA had everything to do with the fact there are 8 million Latinos in the Los Angeles metropolitan area.

fuzzx repped this.