Mexico

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Nutmeg, Nov 12, 2009.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Pretty simple to launch independent investigations of every small-town police force in the US?

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I don´t see how it´s any different in major cities where up until recently the cops were investigating themselves. But to the extent that it goes on south of the border, no way.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Outrage at Mexico drug gang reprisal killings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8428151.stm

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    AFAIK, the average Mexican family receives remittances from relatives in the USA via money orders, not cash, and is not using that pittance to buy homes & businesses.
    Requiring deposits or large purchases to be non-cash does not restrict freedom. It simply creates a record of the transfer. Cash transfers >$10K within the USA require documents, why shouldn't Mexico do the same?

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USA had a policy of imprisoning black people, would you advocate Mexico do the same.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, but that's a bleeping stupid argument.

Why do we need to force people to have records of transfers. You're familiar with the Garden State Parkway. They have cash lanes (as well as EZ-Pass). You pay with cash, and you continue on. If you want a record of the transfer, you can get one.

If I want a record of a cash transaction I make, I'll get one. If the other party won't give me one, then I'll take that into consideration in my decision making process.

I don't know how the "average Mexican family" (as if that has to be the standard) gets their money, but that's not my concern.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course there is police corruption in the US, even in small towns. But the systematic corruption we see in police departments in most of Latin America is much more prevalent and widespread, there is really no comparison.

There are a number of reasons. The police officers are trained more poorly, they are payed much less, but most significantly there is a culture of corruption which means it is condoned and even expected to a much greater extent than it is in the US, and not nearly as likely to be investigated and punished.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    FYP, to make the comparison sensible.
    Taxes. Money laundering.
    Of course not. Your concern is whining here about the inequities of all drug laws.
    We get it.
    Are there any other windmills on your horizon?

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I'll take that comparison too. Just because the USA has a friggin' stupidly insane policy that no one in their right mind can defend doesn't mean Mexico should, even though they do.

Why should the USA care about people paying taxes or "money laundering" in Mexico? How does that affect us in any way?

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Most countries imprison drug dealers & defend that policy. Much to your chagrin, both Mexico & the USA are among that number. Take a chill pill. They are legal. Or, you can get a prescription for some.
    I didn't say that the US has to care about it. Mexico has as much a right to track money within its own country & make people pay taxes on their income, whatever the source.
    Still, the USA does have some say about the money it prints. If, for example, it declined to repatriate USDollars in cash, Mexico might be encouraged to ban their use within it.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I hate to interject myself into this battle, but in fact people buy homes and businesses in mexico and central america largely from remittances from relatives.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Most of those remittances are wired because anyone mailing USDollars shouldn't expect to see that letter ever arrive at their relatives house.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2009/dec/28/wall_street_journal_says_marijua

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but he was kidnapped and slain by the cartels.

Do you think that the Mexican gov't is essentially threatening to play by the cartels' rules by targeting those related to the trafficers that aren't even involved? I guess can see that being potentially effective (if morally reprehensible).

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 in one month is actual progress. Never thought we'd see that. Good work, Calderon...

20. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Progress towards what?

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weakening the cartels enough that those that remain spend their energy fighting amongst themselves internally for power rather than coordinating assassinations of police, military and politicians.

I know... long term, it doesn't change much. Only a change in US drug laws will do that.

But I'm sure those trying to raise families on the border would appreciate the break.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    In Mexico, 13 killed in Acapulco area, 11 others elsewhere in Guerrero

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-mexico-acapulco14-2010mar14,0,5589087.story

23. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three people linked to US consulate in Mexico killed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8567071.stm

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+