Mexico

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Nutmeg, Nov 12, 2009.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You utopian statists are a real hoot.

Is that really what you think you are going to do? Eliminate crime?

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Mexico & the USers

"Utopian statist"? (sputters) How dare you call me that!

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Deputy Drug Czar did an interview with the New Republic. I covered some of it in the Drug War Thread.

Anyone watch the show Dollhouse? If so, then you'll know what I mean when I suggest you get a mind wipe before reading his comments.

Anyway, he said some stuff about the chaos in Mexico.

Pollack (TNR): In fact the evidence we have, such as declining street drug prices since 1980, is not particularly encouraging. So how do we bring an evidence‑based perspective to thinking about that side of the ledger?

McLellan (Deputy Drug Czar): I've noted that as well; we all have. Yet let's take a look at contemporary Mexico. I've just been down there. I haven't been to the most severely‑affected places, but I've been to several other places that have been affected… The fabric of society is quite literally coming apart. There's widespread corruption. There's murder; most of the murders are not even reported. The violence is unprecedented and vicious. Now if you were a citizen there, what would you want? I always ask: “Do you want group therapy, or do you want helicopters and flame‑throwers?” “Give me the helicopters and flame‑throwers. I'll do the evaluation later.”

Emphasis is mine. And yes, the official policy of the Obama Administration is that the best solution to Mexico's problem is not more freedom and less death, it's less freedom and more death.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not if you're a large donor to both parties.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    According to the article, they are going after people.

I'm skeptical that Pemex is losing that much oil, 5 million barrels, simply due to people tapping the pipelines. And if it was, wouldn't it just upgrading the pipeline so volume could be better measured by sections to detect when oil is being diverted?

This is just a guess but I would imagine that a large portion of it is due to inside jobs given the sort of volumes we're talking about. Or it's just an overinflated claim senior execs are using to try to justify spending more on the infrastructure they badly need due to the decades of the government siphoning off money from Pemex instead of investing it back into operations.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Tijuana's drug war focuses on police

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091220/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_police_cleanup_abridged

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The solution is so easy.

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
  11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Everybody that posts on this board knows what drivel he's talking about.

12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Almost forgot. Regardless police corruption outside of the largest cities is virtually non-existent in America while it´s endemic in Mexico, and has very little to do with the drug war.

13. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    That's insane. Power only corrupts in urban areas?

14. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Unless you can show me a Rampart-style scandal outside of LA/Miami/Chicago/New Orleans.

15. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    There isn't a town of population over 15k in almost a two-hour drive yet I know of corrupt cops in towns all around me.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems more that the battles in Mexico are over long-existing smuggling routes than over the issues of narcotics itself.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  19. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Rampart-style where their departments are swamped with them (not just one or two bad apples,) with officers moving keys, pulling armed robberies, raping and killing regularly, I doubt it. This stuff only happens in the largest US cities while it´s common all over Mexico, and was around long before the drug war.

20. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You said "Almost forgot. Regardless police corruption outside of the largest cities is virtually non-existent in America while it´s endemic in Mexico, and has very little to do with the drug war."

And it's just totally wrong.

21. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Yes, having one or two wierdos on every small town´s force is ¨virtually non-existent.¨ I´m not talking about racial profiling or brutality, that exists everywhere. It´s about career criminals wearing blue, there aren´t very many of them unless you have some evidence to the contrary.

22. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You don't have YouTube?

23. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Yes and I´ve seen all of them. In Miami there used to be numerous scandals with dozens of police put in jail, but is it the norm? The only people who genuinely hate the police in America are people in the inner-city, while it´s pretty much universal in places like Mexico and Guatemala. Why do you think that is?

24. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You're talking loony.

25. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    If I am, then prove it. Should be pretty simple.