Mexico sub-23 vs NADS Feb 29th

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Saldgotti1991, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    if Adu, who is like 40 years old, can somehow make it onto the Sub-23 team; then i am sure we can get someone like Cuauhtemoc on there. last i heard, he's 21 :D

1 person likes this.
  2. tinieblas01

tinieblas01 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Florida by way of Tx
    Club:
    Club América
    I'm guessing Adu is about 31. How many youth tournaments has he participated in anyway? It's got to be about 6 or 7 by now.

3. icii

icii Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Adu never gets old literally lol.

4. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    IIRC the first youth tournament I saw him at was the 2003 U-17 world cup in Finland.

5. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just checked it and he was supposedly 14 at the time.

6. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lol ya 14, my ass!hahaaaaaaa

7. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Has this list came out yet? Someone said something about Fabian not being called for this one.

8. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    The list that came out is for the game vs neza next week, no Chivas or Cruz Azul players on that list because of libertadores, the list for the nads game will come out after that game with Fabian more than likely on it.

9. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I see.

thanks.

10. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Being honest, this is a game where Mexico should run over the NADS.

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    How so?

12. ZmoreJH14

ZmoreJH14 Member

May 12, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    More depth and better team chemistry. I guess someone forgot that this group won gold medal at the Pan am Games.

Once Marco Fabian and other key players get back from there duties this team will be beasting!

3-0 Mexico

13. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I should just post IMD's post since it applies here more.

I'll just add that I went to the Pan american games and I was at the stadium for the Trinidad and Tobago game as well as the Uruguay game to know that the team can do either and play great or suck like most teams.. The squad the US has is pretty good which makes out that it will be a tough game. Mexico may be better but that doesn't mean it's an easy win either.

14. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    More experienced, better team chemistry, and better individual players.

15. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    That all points toward winning the game but not running over someone.

16. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    A veces pecan de triunfalismo estos cuates.

I'm convinced it will be a tight game with chances for both teams and wouldn't be surprised if we won by one or two goals just like I wouldn't be surprised if we lost by one or two goals.

The key for Mexico will be to keep the ball as much as possible but I'm familiar with Porter and what he's done at Akron and he's similar to Chepo in many respects, most notably he asks his forwards to pressure the opposing team every single time they have the ball. Inevitably this will lead to turn overs and we all know Tena's team can lose its shape rather easily. A missed pass here or a turnover there and the US will be 1v1 against our three man backline and make no mistake, they have guys who can do damage to our defense.

For this game, I think Amione would be perfect. He's the kind of player that troubles the US. A guy who is physical and knows how to use his body but is also very smart with the ball at his feet and can shoot from distance. I don't think he's in great shape since he's been injured for a while so I'm sure Othoniel Arce will get the nod instead.

With one or two exceptions, our starting XI will be guys who are starters for their clubs and even have CCL and Copa Libertadores experience so based on that alone, one could conclude that we are the better team. Unfortunately that's not the way this works.

Let's remember that if we slip up in qualifying, we could be facing the US U23s in the semis in a do or die game. I'd rather win that game, if it comes down to that, than a meaningless friendly a month before qualifying.

We have no reason to be arrogant, especially given what happened four years ago. The FMF and the coaching staff knows this so I think they will be adequately prepared but I will reserve my optimism until the moment we book our ticket to London.

17. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I might be underrating their team but there isn't really anyone that WOWs me. They have pretty solid players. They are a decent side and should do pretty well in the qualifying stage imo but I think Mexico will beat them (something like 3-1) if we handle our business on the field.

We have players that's already capped for the NT, already played in youth competitions and done well against other young teams in the world in those competitions and played big minutes in their clubs in the Primiera Division. I mean, I'm not degrading the u-23 usa team but given every thing going for Mexico, it's hard to see Mexico losing this game.

Tena is a horrid manager but I don't think it will affect the team that much. The team's talent will always make him a better coach than he really is. Even with his screw-ups in the summer, he managed 3rd place in the u-20 world cup.

18. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Chavez was the coach for the U20 team this past summer, not Tena.

19. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Tena didn't manage that team. Juan Carlos Chavez did. And if you mean the sub 20 and sub 17 teams, they did well against sub 20 and sub 17 teams but it's only a year removed and they will face sub 23 players so I would be careful on reading much into that. And like I said there is a difference between expecting to win and expecting to roll.

20. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bob Marley said If you are a big tree than I am a small axe waiting to cut you down. Its having this type of mentality that really makes US teams dangerous if the other team comes in overconfident...

I've heard good things about his Akron's teams but have yet to see them in action. Unless I am misinformed, Porter hasn't been throughout the whole process with this team. And his assistants have handled many aspects of getting the team ready. That would be another variable to consider.

21. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Good points.

I want to see Mexico handle their business and get the job done. I hope they don't underestimate them. Like you said, they are a solid side.

22. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

En pocas palabras... I expect Mexico to steam roll

23. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So when do we play the qualifiers to the Olympics? Also, does it make me a bad compatriot if I secretly want us out, so that Tena could get the hell out? Conflicting feelings, man!

24. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In the same manner Pumas has been steamrolling the competition?:confused:

25. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nope... never thought Pumas would be steam rolling this season.... well unless they play Chivas that is :D