Mexico sub-23 vs NADS Feb 29th

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Saldgotti1991, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RJD22

RJD22 Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Both will be live.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go. Our defense should be a little better.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-23-M...layers-to-U23-MNT-Training-Camp-in-Texas.aspx

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (7): Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Ike Opara (San Jose Earthquakes), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact), Jorge Villafaña (Chivas USA)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Gent), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Michael Stephens (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS (8): Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Tony Taylor (Estoril Praia)

3. VashTheStampede

Feb 13, 2012
    Austin,Texas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    damn that's a very solid squad, i look forward to the game.

4. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL @ Adu

that guy is like 40

1 person likes this.
  5. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

subs to the Mex league based scrubs whipping the Break Shea, Adu & Agudelo trident of bush league water boys.

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd and Gyau are pretty good. Some think Boyd is better than Agudelo. No idea on that to be honest since Boyd hasn't played with the US senior team. He's been on Dortmund's bench a few times but has yet to make an appearance.

Gyau is very fast and loves to take people on the dribble. Hoffenheim isn't on the same level of a Dortmund but he's made a few sub appearances with their first team.

The US weakness is in the defense. Opara is injury prone and probably rusty and not match fit. Kitchen was good for DC United last yr but his main position is D-mid. Valentin and Sarkodie are relatively inexperienced. Villafaña isn't that good and Garza is pretty slow on the ball. Morales however has been playing RB for Hertha Berlin. Morales is also eligible for Germany and Peru.

One omission is Josh Gatt who plays for Norwegian league champions Molde.

7. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I smell a bet, Nads you interested?

8. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    lol

lo que hay que leer por aca

What makes you think we're going to mop the floor with the US U23s?

Given Tena's formation, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a high scoring game.

The three CBs in the back are going to be isolated on 1v1 battles all game long due to the supposed 4-3-3 the US U23s will be trotting out. The US is bound to get some chances.

9. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damn I'm so glad I'm going to this game, looks like its gonna be a treat, and the stadium is so small that ANY seat is good, I just happen to have a 6th row one :D

10. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your rosters strengths/weaknesses for this game? Judging by the US lineup we're weak at the back (not including goalie) but have a pretty strong midfield/forward group.

11. VashTheStampede

Feb 13, 2012
    Austin,Texas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    IMHO our attack is lacking, i wish our midfield was a little stronger, but our D seems solid

12. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

If they are so irrelevant to their Euro squads that they'd be willing to release them for this sh1t tournament... than I don't see much to worry about :D

13. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

If they can play as a unit I think an offense with Othoniel Arce, Amione & Javier Cortes could do some damage at the CONCACAF U-23 level.

14. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks. so it's a good defense vs a good offense, and bad offense vs a bad defense. should be entertaining at least lol.

15. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I think we are under selling Mexico's offensive threat... most Mexicans are disillusioned with coach Fernando Tena... his teams don't attack in constant waves the way we like, and don't run up high scores (even against weaker teams)... but some of the players will be a handful if your players aren't consolidated 1st division professionals... in particular this guy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZ4N7CJ9q0"]Pumas 2 - 1 Morelia Final 2011 / Gol de Javier Cortes - The Best Goal In The Mexican League - YouTube[/ame] (Championship Winning Goal)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20K81qlmppU"]Pumas 2 - 0 Chivas / Gol de Javier Cortes / Semifinal Clausura 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LsHBdENsw"]Gol Like Rooney (Javier Cortez )Pumas - YouTube[/ame]

We are talking about a guy, who as a 21 year old kid was the mean creative threat on a trophey winning Pumas side.

16. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Watch out for Jeronimo's shot from outside the box...?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzasWSAvMjA&feature=related"]Gol Jerónimo Amione vs. Tigres ·17/09/11· - YouTube[/ame]

He's scored several goals (for club and country) like that...

17. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well of course, your offense probably isn't as bad as people think and our defense probably isn't as bad as people think. but that's part of the fun i guess. can only speculate until they play.

18. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

He also scored the Gold Medal winning goal in the Panamericans with U-23 squad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4qOdrP5RI"]México 1 Argentina 0, gol de Amione Panamericanos - YouTube[/ame]

We don't have a bad team... as long as these guys keep building from the match against Argentina... I think we all hate Tena and would like to see him sacked but the reality is that the team was starting to look decent by the end of the Panamericans, should be able to win the Olympic Qualifying tournament... after that I have no huge expectations other than 2011 proved the current generation of Mexican youth players are very strong mentally & have a massive will to win at all costs... 2011 created a certain mystique for the Black & Green jersey... the kind of mystique that makes the Germany, Italy's & Brazil's of the world perpetual contenders even when they aren't that inspiring etc.,

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Hertha Berlin's captain and right back has been out injured and Morales is greatly needed there. Gyau is starting to crack the Hoffenheim bench and Boyd is Dortmund's 3-4th forward option.

Caleb Porter the US head coach has been trying to work out deals with clubs to get some of the euro players for qualifying. Mikkel Diskerud has an agreement with his club to be released, even though he is on loan in Belgium. Part of the loan deal was allowing him to be with the US U-23s. Now Josh Gatt wasn't released.

Marco Fabian is on this roster correct? I've heard he's had a poor season so far? I don't know much about this Mexico group.

20. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's going to be an interesting player to watch in the next couple of years.

I'm curious to see whether Tena will start Aquino or sub him in later in the game when in my opinion he'd do more damage.

21. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Fabian wasn't called up to the U-23 but it could possibly be due to Chivas' Libertadores match that week. The pecking order for 23 & under players in Fabian's position goes:

1) Gio Dos Santos
    2) Marco Fabian
    3) Hobbit Bermudez
    4) Javier Aquino
    5) Javier Cortes

With that said the performances of #2 through #5 are so similar to each other in the last 2 years that any of those guys can get the call.

22. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Bermudez is not u23 dude is 24/25 years old.

23. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

That's all right Adu is in his 30's :D

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Seriously.

He played in the U20 WC in 2007....do the math.

Not sure people have realized that the lists that have come out so far are merely training lists..........Tena hasn't released any sort of game rosters since they just started training last week.

25. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Gio and Vela also played in the 2007 u-20 world cup, I suppose that's the reason for that mistake, but Gio and Vela were 18 back then while the core of the team was 19 plus a few 20 year olds like barrera, hobbit, catita dominguez and a couple others.