Mexican stadiums Vol II

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by sidspaceman, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dont be so sure on LA

Link

2. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No futbol in California???? That would be absolutely retarded.

3. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    After going into the footie Random Thoughts thread and looking at the pics rdl put up of estadio leon I googled it and look what I found:

http://gborregof.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/estadio-leon/

[​IMG]

I have no idea how this can be financed, not to mention the fact that the original stadium appears to have been renovated, although it could simply be the exterior.

Regardless, this is quite intriguing.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    tax rebates, private funds, municipal bonds, not to mention sponsorships. I am sure they could have some corporation pay millions of dollars over an extended period of time for the name of the stadium....

after digging a bit further....

BH Capital are the new owners of the team. They are also owner of Zapateria B Hermanos. I am not sure if its the same as 3Hermanos http://www.3hermanos.com.mx/

3 Hermanos are based out of Leon.

Another note that I found (from March 2009) was that BH Capital still had not signed the lease for the stadium. BH Capital is (or was) holding out because they are still in the process of taking over the club rights (logo, name, colors).

http://www.correo-gto.com.mx/notas.asp?id=106819

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Guait a minute.

You're telling me Leon wants to build a completely new stadium? I assumed those pics were just upgrades to the existing stadium.

6. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hmmm nou camp is such a badass stadium i wouldnt want it to be gone...major remodeling and modernization like most fmf stadiums would be the answer!

7. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    True, I just meant that the previous owners, I believe it was Grupo Pegaso did not seem to be investing much into the club making it unbelievable that they would finance a new stadium. Not to mention the fact that their other football club, Atlante was promised a new stadium and was never given one. Making it unlikely that their bastard child, Leon would get one.

Interesting, I hope they put money into the team and bring it back to the first division.

It appears that B Hermanos is based out of Sonora

http://www.grupoalianzaempresarial.com/hermanosbattasadecvzapateriabhermanos_e_494270.html

Lets hope this transition goes over smoothly.

8. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

It's time to move on. Out with the old and in with the new. Mexico needs it.

9. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Germany didn't.

8 out of the 12 stadiums used in Germany were refurbished.

Of the 3 new stadiums used, 1 was built specifically to attract the World Cup (Gelsinkirchen). The German OC would have the public believe that the stadiums in Leipzig, Munich, and Gelsinkirchen were built to attract the World Cup, but I have to question that considering that Germany was close to not hosting the WC because of sponsorship battles. Allianz Arena did not want to hide or cover their name on the stadium. Liepzig was an interesting stadium. They built a new stadium within the confines of the old stadium. The stadium was smaller and designed specifically for footie.

they used stadiums that were built the in the 1920s and 30s....

10. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Germany and Mexico are two completely different animals. Mexican stadiums go back decades (and look it), nothing pretty about them. It's time to move on, no refurbishing/remodeling. We need to push for new facilities, and stadiums.

The hell with remodeling and slapping some new coats of paint on our stadiums. Let's aim a little higher.

11. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Are you sure about that? Are they older than Mexico's stadiums?

Olympic Stadium in Berlin. Built in 1934, refurbished in 1976.

stadium in Dortmund. Built in 1971, refurbished in 2003.

stadium in Stuttgart. built in 1933, refurbished in the 80s and 2005

stadium in Frankfurt. built in 1925, refurbished a couple times, but a major renovation for 2006.

stadium in Cologne. built in 1925, refurbished in early 2000s.

stadium in Hanover. built in 1954, refurbished for 2006 WC.

stadium in Kaiserslautern. built in 1920. reburbished in 2002 to expand its capacity from 38K to 45+K.

stadium in Nuremburg. built in 1928, refurbished in 1960s and 2006.

I PROMISE YOU, Mexico does not have one stadium that is currently being used by a first division team that was built in the 1920s, 1930s.

refurbishing is not just a fresh coat of paint.

"Aiming a littler higher" does not mean having an open checkbook policy and spending money like idiots.

Aside from a social responsibility to preserve a community, there is no need to demolish a stadium (complex) if it still is functional. Certain amenities may become obsolete, but if it can be updated, why spend more?

Toluca probably wont ever see another world cup in their current stadium. It would be too expensive for them to acquire property around the stadium and to expand. So, if they wanted to, a new stadium in a new location would be the best thing for them.

12. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the costs of having an empty stadium just sitting there could be devastating for some cities dude

13. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Speaking of refurbishing, has anyone been in the 3 de marzo since it was "refurbished"? I'm curious to see what they actually did. They were still working when I was down there last month.

14. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    I read in your first post that Germany's dated from many more decades, I got that. The point I was making is that our stadiums look like they're from many many decades ago, in an unflattering third world kind of way. Is that a good thing? In my opinion, no.

I'm not entirely against remodeling beautiful historic stadiums (Azteca), but most of our decade old stadiums look like absolute crap (Santos Corona Stadium) and simply need to be demolished.

Vergara could have remodeled Estadio Jalisco and all of you would have been perfectly happy, fair enough. Thankfully however, he decided to go the right way and build something completely new and exciting.

Who says we're going to leave these stadiums empty and abandoned? We demolish them. Just like they do here in the states, and every where else in the world.

Build a new stadium in the same piece of land, or in a different piece of land.

15. mrfutbol

mrfutbol Member+

Apr 6, 2008

Looks great. :) Since Merida is near Cancun, once the stadium is complete, Can Atlante play in it?

16. mrfutbol

mrfutbol Member+

Apr 6, 2008
    Estadio Victoria of Aguascalientes is a new stadium. So that can be remodeled by adding a couple of more decks to it and it would have an appearance like the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium of Real Madrid.

Also the benefit would be that with an increase in seating capacity, it could host World Cup Qualifying games for Mexican National Team.

Check them out side by side:

[​IMG]

17. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're right, it would be impossible for Toluca to acquire surrounding property and expand the stadium in downtown Toluca. Toluca trains in the municipality of Metepec, which would be a great option for them to build a new stadium. Lots of redevelopment going on in Metepec and lots available land.

18. mrfutbol

mrfutbol Member+

Apr 6, 2008
    If you were too look at stadium designs around the world, which one would you like for Toluca?

Manchester United Stadium?

19. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    If your basis for not refurbishing a stadium because they are too old and perceive Mexico as third world, why is Germany able to refurbish stadiums that outdated ours?

Why is the German considered innovative, bold & resourceful and why is the Mexican considered challenged and obsolete?

I am not making a case for Corona to be used as a World Cup venue.

If I were to make a case, I would be defending the following stadiums

Pirate Fuente. It already exceeds the capacity requirements (40K). It has parking. There is a sporting complex adjacent to the stadium which could serve as a stadium media center.

[​IMG]

Estadio Corregidora. It already exceeds the capacity requirements. It already has a roof. It has ample parking. It is very accessible by major highway.

[​IMG]

Estadio Cuauhtemoc. It has ample parking. It meets the capacity requirements. There is ample space around the stadium that could be used to enclose the entire stadium.

[​IMG]

Estadio Morelos (41,000), Leon (35,000) also have ample parking.

Germany used 12 cities. South Africa is only using 9 cities.

Fifa allows one city to use 2 venues.

Mexico City - Estadio Azteca (1966), Cuidad Universitaria (1952)
    Guadalajara - Estadio JVC (2010)
    Monterrey - Estadio Monterrey (2011)
    Morelia - Estadio Morelos (1989)
    Puebla - Estadio Cuauhtemoc (1968)
    Veracruz - Estadio Pirata Fuentes (1967)
    Quretaro - Estadio Corregidora (1985)

You have 7 cities that can meet the capacity requirements. 2 of them will be new. Some of the other stadiums need more work than others, but considering they were built in the last 20-40 years, to refurbish them would not be as expensive.

It is more probable that Leon and San Luis get the 8th and 9th venue spot.

I am sure that if Mexico was pushing for a WC, Leon and San Luis would take the initiative to expand their stadium. San Luis is in the process of expanding their stadium. Unfortunately for them, they have fought relegation a couple times that they have not had the funds to complete the their project.

We have 9 cities that can do it.

However, I am sure that other cities would not want to be left out. I am sure Tampico (Coca Cola bottling) would make a case. I am sure that Cancun (Pegaso) would make a case.

I am sure that Merida, Nayarit, Tuxtla would make a case.

I am even sure that Pachuca, would somehow, grease up Batter and allow Pachuca's stadium to be used (despite not having the required capacity). Pachuca seems to invite Blatter just about ever year to inaugurate something after him (Blatter)

20. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    keep it old school and make it look like borussia dortmund's stadium

looks badass..obviously with the renovation for the 06 WC it looks a lot more modern
    [​IMG]

Also Anfield...it just amazing even though its old it has great charm

[​IMG]

21. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Do you or anyone know which stadiums are in the WC bid??

I have yet to see an article on it...

22. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    NOTE:

These designs are from a thesis that the designer made for his friend, this project has never been presented to the owners of Leon.

23. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One thing I don't like about some of the Mexican stadiums is how far the stands are from the field. The same can be said about Italy. In England and Germany it seems like most of the stands are right on top of the field which makes for a more intense climate. Just think how much more piss and vomit we can throw on the nads when they come to play because the stands are that much closer to the field.:D

24. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dortmun's looks like a damn army is descending on you.

I have heard players say El Mestalla is the most intimidating stadium to play in. The stands are so steep they say it feels like people are on top of you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Simple, our stadiums, most of which were built 50 to 60 years ago are at a point in which refurbishing wouldn't even be worth it. Sure, if you're down on funds it's one thing, if that's your only option, but to push refurbishing ahead of building something new, this is the one and only thing i'm against.

If leon wants to refurbish, fine, but don't encourage it as a priority option ahead of looking to create new projects. I get the feeling this is where you're coming from and I don't agree with it.

The Germans can do whatever they like, their stadiums are different then ours, as in designed and built differently. Their funds, resources are different, they have no place in this conversation.

And about the last part, I applaud Pachuca for the modernization they're going through. They can kiss Blatters ass all they want, but in my eyes they are the model club to follow. Sure, they refurbished their stadium, they were a small club when purchased by Martinez, money was an issue, but they also built a good amount of new facilities that blow the rest of the FMF away.

My point is priority number one needs to be looking to build and sweep the FMF with new stadiums and facilities.