Mexican Elections -- Too Close to Call

Discussion in 'Elections' started by MattR, Jul 3, 2006.

1. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wanted to vote, but I couldn't because the electoral card required to vote expired and I can only get it in Mexico. So there. Those numbers might not reflect the reality. Many of the mexicans I know here in canada couldn't vote because of the same situation.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell would a parallel govermnet accomplish? No revenue no point.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Next he's going to create a parallel universe! :D

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Revenue would hardly be a problem. His followers would ensure that money will be coming in.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Calderon Named Mexico's President-Elect - Associated Press

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  9. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I find most amazing is Calderon is not right wing nut, he basically is a centerist, this to me makes Obrador and his cronies musch more dangerous and radical than Calderon.

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Goat Tees?

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Mexican Elections -- Dos Presidentes? :D

LOL! They may be crazy but they're not stupid.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2012 Mexican Elections!

6 Years later!

AMLO is back to run for President, he was elected by the PRD to represent them. (He is also the candidate for PT and MC)

For PRI (and PVEM, NA) will come down to 2 candidates.

Manlio Fabio Beltrones or Enrique Peña Nieto (Nieto has it, he is the Televisa Candidate and front runner over all).

For PAN
    Ernesto Cordero Arroyo
    Santiago Creel Miranda
    Josefina Vazquez Mota (Mota :p)

Here is wiki:

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2012 Mexican Elections!

Would any of them make any difference?

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Re: 2012 Mexican Elections!

Ruling Party in Mexico Picks Woman as Candidate - N.Y. Times

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josefina Vázquez Mota, she will be the next President of Mexico IMO.

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly has the PAN done to merit reelection? The north of the country is basically in civil war and the answer to the country's economic problems has been to (i) tell the poor to move to America and (ii) complian that we are not letting in more Mexican poor.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a fan of PAN for mainly religious reasons, I will not vote for PAN (dual citizen) but women voters outnumber men in Mexico, the middle class has improved economically, even if they have suffered when it comes to crime.

Sure the argument will be (by PRD and PRI) that is better to make peace with the Cartels and let them control parts of the country vs. civil war hurts now, but the State must not allow parts of the country to be controlled by cartels.

The people must decide.

I voted ALMO last time, not sure if I can do it again, then again anyone but Nieto is what I want so ALMO may be my default vote.

20. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Anyone saying 'bring it on' to the Cartels, or are they all either in their pockets or scared of them? Are they still such a big problem? And are the drugs actually made in Mexico, or is it just the best stop off to the USA?

I admit I know next to nothing about Mexican politics.

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, Latin American politics has really become a choice between AIDS and Cancer. Its down to how one feels which option is less painful.

22. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    To be honest I can't understand people asking what the PAN has done.

The question really is… what did the PRI did in 70 years straight in power?
    Theft, drugs, corruption, abuse of power, intimidation, etc…

Why not give another party the chance to do something? If the PRI got 70 years, why not PRD or PAN……

Oh… and don't know if you know about this but, the current candidate for the PRI (Peña Nieto) is a guy with absolutely no idea about what's happening in the middle class world or the poor. He Was asked on live tv what books influced him… and he had no answer… he was asked what the minimum wage was… he didn't know. Just a few weeks ago it was made public of his infidelity and that there where kids as a results of it.

And…… I am from Coahuila… We had a pig for a governor (PRI) who used Los Zetas' money to build bridges and infrastructure. Now Los Zetas rule the area. He made a mess of my state. He left early to go to Mexico City and be the head of the PRI… but then all the dirt came out… unbelievable corruption and theft. All his family are rich now… and he was a mediocre underpaid teacher with no money. He left the state in the biggest debt ever with like 700 million dollars in debt or more. His people fled to the US to hide and avoid being captured. He faked paperwork to obtain illegal money and it was made public. His party forced the authorities to seal all the proofs of corruption for 10 years… after that they will be made public. And so this guy went to the the head of the PRI to Mexico City and he was forced by his own party to step down so that we wouldn't hurt the PRI candidate's chances coz everybody knew what this dirty pig did. Now… there were elections again… and guess who ran for the PRI to take over this guy's seat? His brother. And guess he lost and the PAN won, but they cheated, faked votes and he ended up winning. Oh and this guy Ruben Moreira (the brother) who is now the governor, was almost killed in an assassination attempt by Los Zetas blocks away from my parents' house. And the next day he went and bought a 4.5 million (pesos) Mercedez equipped with all kinds of security crap with tax-payers' money. The day after that… the entire city was publicly saying that it sucked the Zetas couldn't get him and that the Zetas should practice a little more with their shooting so they don't miss him the next time.
    Now… people in the state who work for the government in not the best positions got their salaries reduced… people can't even go to a park with their children because since a couple of months you have to pay to set foot in a park because of all that theft and debt. Any kind of leal paperwork has gone up and they have even com up with new taxes to recover all the money these PRI dudes stole. Did you know that if a kid grabs his bike and has fun on the street and has no license plate (yes… a license plate) will get a ticket? It's so unreal.
    And these Moreira brothers had a plan… once they are done, the next governor will be a Moreria Cousin from the PRI. It's all set, but people hope and don't think the current brother will make it alive til the end of his term.

This is what the PRI is all about. This is what they do.
    I really do not want to give the PRI a chance. Not now, not in 50 years.

PAN or PRD is what we need.

And the States needs to actually do something about the drugs, but it is not beneficial for them to stop the drug problem, so they won't.

I would not blame the PAN for the drug problem the US has played a huge role in creating.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, putting the blame on others is always the best answer :rolleyes:

BTW Consumption of drugs in Mexico is up a lot the last decade, so even with out the USA market, Mexico is becoming a big enough market for cartels (margins are lower for sure)

I do agree, anyone but Nieto for President, and I also do not blame the violence on the PAN, they did what had to be done, I disagree on using the army instead of the Federal police, but those are details.

24. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No one denies that all countries use drugs, but the States does consume 10 times what Mexico consumes, so yeah some of the blame goes to the States since it is in their best interest ($$$) to not do to much about it. Drugs create a lot of money for the states and the Mexican cartels get their weaponry from the states.
    There is a reason why the northern or bordering states are the ones with the violence.

To be honest I personally think the PRI also deserves part of the blame. They need all this chaos in order to make it seem like the PAN is an incompetent party. They make dirty moves to give the cartels more power.

As for the army… I kinda think it is necessary. The Zetas are actually special forces. They have military training. Some came out of the same facilities where American specials forces train. They are clever and have unlimited resources that can not be matched by the police from the States or Mexico. The police carry a gun, but this guys carry ak-47s, bazookas, grenades, etc… have equipment to intercept police communication and even have submarines. Let's not forget that cartels like Los Zetas they drive around in convoys of 6-14 Trucks with 4-5 guys in each. I'd feel sorry for any American or Mexican policeman for crossing these guys' paths. They wouldn't even have time to get some back up and gather 30 officers in a matter of seconds and still not being able to match the firepower of the Zetas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know how many states have done what Nuevo Leon and Coahuila have. They have created a new team of truly well-trained police officers… if we can call it that. This guys are not the military and are very well equipped with weaponry and also drive around in convoys of 4 to 10 trucks. This is slightly better than the military imo. Finally there's none of that 5'8" chubby and slow members you can still find with the regular police. All these new guys actually have a decent physique.