Mets want MLS at citi

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by QueensNick, Jan 4, 2013.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh yea - take nothing for granted - and honestly - given the performance they have put on already between the town hall the and marketing around Queens- they are going at this HARD

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    At this stage of the process for Barclay's Center, there was already a unified opposition including many community leaders and politicians. There were already many lawsuits winding through the courts. The NIMBYs in Queens (who I assume are mostly blue-collar and/or immigrant) seem nowhere near as high-profile as the whinerbaby Park Slope yuppies with money, influence, and gigantic sticks up their asses.

But I would expect some politicians to make a play against the stadium at some point soon, not out of any genuine opposition but rather to grab concessions. They'll also be at the ribbon-cutting ceremony wearing big smiles.

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right - i felt that Barclays had a much more unified opposition but also this is a stadium for Soccer in a soccer loving community -i just think opposition is truly outnumbered by support.

4. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When there will be the deal with City Hall ( maybe in February ), this does mean that the stadium will be 100% built and that it will be only necessary to wait about 6 / 9 months ( ULURP process ) to begin the construction ?

5. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No - reaching a deal with City Hall does not mean that the stadium is 100 percent getting built - although its a Great step forward.

The deal with city hall means that the league and the city have an agreement on the stadium but it all depends that ULURP process. IT can still fall apart during that process.

6. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But IN THEORY is it possible for the MLS to put a NYC team soccer in MLS for March 2014 at Citi Field having only the deal with City Hall ( February 2013 ) ? If the MLS will announce the 20th team for 2014 ( in the temporary venue, of course ), I think that this decision there will be not after April or May 2013 ( 10 months before of the begin the 2014 MLS season ) ; therefore when the ULURP process will have away by the end. What could be the solution ?

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory - yes - likely - NO - the more i think about it and now that I see politicians saying use Citi Field for soccer...the more I think MLS will want shovels in the ground before they decide to play at Citi Field on a temp basis.

Unak78 and Inca Roads repped this.
  8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Have to agree 100% here. There is no way MLS agrees to play in a temp venue until they have started building a stadium of their own. I hope that is the lesson learned from the Metros and Giants Stadium.

9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Very much agreed on this. This is part of what I was saying before. The politicians have changed the calculus on how that arrangement would have worked. If MLS starts making plans for using Citi Field as a temp venue before they have their own venue, they'll be crippling themselves, especially now. I'm not even sure I want to see that at all, but even if I did, they definitely cannot do it until they have construction workers on the ground in Queens and are actually well on the way to building a stadium. If they start playing in Citi now, then they better get used to it bc they'll still be playing there ten years from now.

10. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But if FOR EXAMPLE there will be the shovels on the ground by next October, IN THEORY Garber could to put this NYC team as 20th team in March / April 2014 at Citi Field ? Could be sufficient 5 or 6 months to choose the players ?

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If there's one takeaway from today, it is that the Mets, as always, got a great big unlubricated ********ing.

DemmahoM repped this.
  12. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe "New York Mets" comes from the Latin term for taking it up the rear with a rusty railroad spike.