Mets want MLS at citi

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by QueensNick, Jan 4, 2013.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...or-league-soccer-citi-field-article-1.1232644

It was only a matter of time before you heard from them again - especially now that they are getting their finances a little back in order.

Also - this year is the All Star Game at citi after that they can play around with the venue.

This also opens up the possibilities of 2 things 1) Temp venue and team starting sooner than 2016 and the other thing is maybe the Mets being interested in moving the soccer stadium to the parking lot - where originally planned.

Opponents of the stadium have been quoted saying - why not just build it in the parking lot and squash the mall.

Looks like this is going to be a full year with news and info

2. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This can be the ideal solution to have the NYCFC in MLS in this temporary stadium for 2014 and 2015 seasons !!

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    kiro2317 repped this.
  4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The faster this can get done the better - i just knew the Mets would not do it before the 2013 season as they were always going to get this all star game for baseball.

Id love to see it

Honestly -i still can see the stadium plan being shifted to the parking lot.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    If anything, the current discussion makes this less likely to happen than more. MLS cannot maintain the stance of needing to build their own house if they're willing to share even temporarily. At this point, citing the reasons why this is unworkable going forward is going to make it look strange if they're suddenly willing to jump on board for two seasons.

Besides, this is a venue that's going to be used 80+ times for baseball during the same time period on a field that's not shaped correctly and partially covered with dirt. At least with football and baseball, when they actually built them like RFK, they could change the configuration on a yearly basis.

I'd love to see them in the league sooner, but with the Mets pulling this move now, it's not going to be the best conditions to negotiate a cohabitant arrangement. Bottom line, the Mets threw this out to kill MLS' deal and MLS isn't happy about it. Personally I think that an MLB field isn't a great option to launch a team in anyway.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Are the Mets smart enough to know that the best way to sabotage NY2 is for them to embrace it?

7. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    In a way, that's what they're doing right now.

8. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that the league and the Mets were in negotiations to sort out parkint etc - i find this hard to believe that they were throwing this out to squash the deal.

Wilpons and Garber have always played nice - yea maybe they are mad they are not an owner but that's their own issue - i doubt they are playing dirty with the league now after so many years of playing nice.

9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, and you don't forget that in 2014 there will be a new deal between MLS and TV and to have already a 20th team in NYC can be very important.....

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My firm belief is that Garber would like the NYC team in by 2014 because of the new TV deal - given NYC is the biggest market in the country. ESPECIALLY (sorry Napoli) if they sit back down with the Cosmos ownership group - that brand has a global appeal.

However, MLS has told me they want to start this team off the right way in its own stadium...however...its not like MLS has not lied in the past lol

11. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have good news about the soccer stadium for 2016 and in theory ( it is technically possible ) for a temporary stadium even by 2014 ( Citi Field ). But now my ask is this : in your opinion what is the front runner group to put this 20th team ?

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a completely different thread lol

Honestly - i am not sure who the "front runner" is. I do know that up until June - everything was going dandy between the league and the Cosmos and then the Cosmos apparently walked out and joined NASL.

Could have been negotiation tactics and it could have been part of a bigger plan - no one knows for sure.

I hear that this really upset Garber and he was shocked because he thought it was all going to plan.

Ive heard that yes, Man City is in the picture and are serious but I have also heard that if the Cosmos came back to MLS - i think they could pick off where they left off.

There is a very high stakes game of poker right now for ownership - i can not say that it is 100 percent going to be the Cosmos but I still feel in my gut that without MLS, the Cosmos will not survive. So if they go with another investment group, the Cosmos could sell their brand yet again.

There is going to be a lot about WHO THE TEAM IS over the next year but the reality is - still a long way to go to get this stadium done

Unak78 repped this.
  13. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    And you might add that it's almost a certainty that we won't know anything about the ownership until a stadium deal is finalized. MLS isn't going to do this thing out of order. Imo, the Cosmos don't need to do anything until then. People talk about how the Cosmos don't seem to be very focused on MLS,... well neither does anyone else in the picture. Man City's ownership has so far denied any involvement, and why shouldn't they? MLS isn't ready to award a franchise yet, so it makes little sense for them to distract their own fanbase or even the stadium process in Queens with their involvement.

Bottom line is that the Cosmos, Man City, Blazer and whoever else you can throw into the picture aren't tipping their hands at the moment bc there's simply nothing to tip their hands for. Until there's a stadium, there's no team. So while ppl might be negotiating, the real time for making deals is quite a ways off. Now if a time comes where it seems that the stadium might truly be a sure thing, then MLS might get serious about naming an owner and all the parties will then become apparent. At that point we'll know who the players are.

Smoke & Mirrors and QueensNick repped this.
  14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a fair point too - the time to name the team is still a ways off - although a few editorials has come out about the soccer stadium in the local paper and some people think that the BBG backed plan is getting close to being launched.

15. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that it will be the Man City, Blazer or even Wilpon group with NYCFC name !!!

16. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    NYCFC is the worst of all the proposed name. If it isn't the Cosmos, give me Metropolitan SC or NY Empire SC.

Unak78 and Whitecaps10 repped this.
  17. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is way too generic to work. Empire SC or Gotham SC would have a good ring as a name.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Calling your soccer club Gotham would be g*****n cheating.

19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would like also International NYC.

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wilpons do not want to own the club
    The Blazer group is very silent and I dont think pack the financial muscle

That leaves two groups right now - Man City and the Cosmos

Unak78 repped this.
  21. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I agree with this. Wilpons are likely out. The only way that Blazer is getting this is if he joins with either the Cosmos or City. I still think it's most likely that the Cosmos end up as part of a group or the main group. But as I said before, none of this will even become close to being apparent until the stadium deal is done.

22. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

right however- the lure of getting the team up and running in a temp venue like citi field could expedite the whole process.

23. TFC07CFC67

TFC07CFC67 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    MLS must have watched the recent mess the Mets and Wilpons went through and would want to avoid any connection with them..

24. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well the MLS was always working with the Wilpons but Bernie Madoff ruined any chances of a Wilpon owned team. In fact, im comfortable saying that if Madoff did not happen, there might have been a NYC team already.

Right now the Wilpons do not have the money to own a soccer team as they can barely afford to run their baseball team. Things are getting better for them but the door for them owning an MLS team as well is over.

What the Wilpons want is another tenant to help them pay off their debts. That is why they are interested in HOSTING an MLS team. They also might not be happy with MLS' plan to have a stadium so close as it could take some friendlies away from them and concerts.

There is a lot more to come from this story.

25. TFC07CFC67

TFC07CFC67 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    a New SSS in Queens could easily host less glamour friendlies like an Ajax,Spurs, but a bigger facility would be needed and used for a Celtic :} Barca,Man Utd type games.. i really want to see another team in NY..the Cosmos would bring back the rivalry with Toronto..we hate them they hated us..ahh the good old days