Pre-match: Metroscum @ DCU (Playoff Edition) 11/3

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greekchampion04, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandy WAS a bad hurricane. I'm not sure what you're smoking.

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they paying the money I lose from taking off work? And people's non refundable travel expenses?

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Anyone who doesn't believe home field helped us in 2004 against the Revs wasn't there.

It's gonna be a tough Mom O Si on Sat.

Thx,

Jay!

BBBulldog and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By itself, this doesn't have any statistical meaning. It's like the oft-quoted-but-utterly-irrelevant saying that "the team that scores first usually wins" -- well, yeah. It's a fairly low scoring sport, in which 1-0 scorelines or shutouts aren't unusual. It's a bit of a tautology. What's important is how often the team wins the series, not how often they win the series if they win the first match.

In principle, what's needed is the answer to *these* questions: how often does the first-game-at-home team win the series? And how often does the second-game-at-home team win the series? Only then, there's a bias in the other direction, since normally the second-game-at-home team is the higher seed (which isn't the case for us now), so you'd naively *expect* that team to win the series most often.

The other factor to consider is that, to the extent that one believes in homefield advantage at all (and here I'm not talking about the advantage of having extra time + PKs at your venue, but rather having a crowd supporting you), this switch dramatically hurts our homefield advantage *and* dramatically hurts our ability to cut into theirs. Now, given just two days to market the match and correct the advertising of the last four days, we will have a lower turnout at our home match, while they'll have more fans down here than they'd have been able to send on Wednesday night. And on Wednesday, we'll have fewer fans up there than we would have on Saturday. That's yet another thing that sucks.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, and they shouldn't have to, either.

6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen.

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right -- the league should. They won't, but they should.

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's what I heard on tv too.
    Listening to news reports you'd think hurricane camille came back for round two.

9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People could always tweet Merrit Paulsen. Apparently that's worked before!

10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insensitivity, thy name is greatscott.

Pathetic.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol you are a dork. That storm was caused by a Romney super PAC run from Beijing

The Cold Sea and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Toms River is about 60 - 70 miles from Harrison. For god's sake it's a ********ing game. If Ben and the team are dealing with it, maybe we internet nuts should as well.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's too much to expect any level of class from MLS. We wouldn't want to inconvenience the Red Bulls by making them play in one of the myriad available venues, including RFK.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several other better options. 2 games at RFK, move the first game in NY to Wednesday and move the Eastern Conference finals back to start on a Wednesday. Move the game to a neutral site (Columbus). This is just lazy pandering to the NY market.

Oh and no this storm was not that bad. I don't take NBC News's word for it...again NYC bias.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is where we diverge. I've already given you that the higher seed more often than not wins. And since that team usually is the home team for the 2nd game, it fools people into the conclusion that being home in the 2nd leg is meaningful. I'd submit it's not. If it were so meaningful as you seem to think it is, the home team would do better than 4wins and 7losses after losing the first game away by only a single game. Yet and still, they don't. I don't see how we can claim that our chances our reduced when the numbers over a 7 year period show that it doesn't. Bottom line, if we win at home in game 1, we are heavy favorites by the numbers to win this series. If we had lost the first game in RBA, we'd be heavy underdogs by the numbers to win the series. So sure, it hurts us if we don't win our game at home. But that's a big "duh". The second big "duh"? We're more likely to win that first game at home than in RBA.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love both of you as DC brothers. But that is just completely intellectually dishonest. How are these 2 situations comparable? That was a one-off game. Not a home and away series. Of course being home in a one off game is an advantage! Unfortuntely for your arguments, this is not a one off game. Not even close in impact to what we are looking at here. And yes, I was at that game. It's silly to compare the two situations. Absurd, really.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They don't even know if they can host a 2nd leg!!!! Neutral site (Columbus!)

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  18. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    They probably should have played in front of an empty stadium.

Having said that, I'm not going to get too worked up about this. I deleted a post a couple of hours ago after thinking about what a lot of people in the NY/NJ are going through right now. Seems a bit self-centered.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is exactly what upsets me about the situation. I understand much of the area has been affected, but there should have been backup plans before they felt a breeze. Instead the public was stuck waiting to find out if the field was even playable. Eventually they release information that the field and the rest of the stadium are fine, but they still chose to be quiet about the rest of the situation. Now the problem is that it's currently not easy to get to the stadium and that the power has gone off since it was last restored. If the issue is ease of getting to the stadium, who are they serving by changing plans for both teams or even considering different venues?

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The only advantage gained by HFA is ET and PK's. One-off or two legs, that's where the advantage now lies in NYC RBA.

Thx,

Jay!

21. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I just want our boys to tear RBNY's lungs out and smash them like a two-bit Jersey boardwalk. I mean more than usual.

Too soon?

22. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's silly and classless to downplay the severity of the storms. It's fair game to debate the impact of the storms on that area and if that team did anything with the intent of hosting as scheduled.

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to refund the $60 I sent to the Screaming Eagles for a bus ride and a game ticket? Really?