Mesut Özil

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by hackespitze123, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wasn't born and didn't grow up in Germany ... nevertheless, I'd have decided to play for Germany & not Romania if I became a good player and got a call from DFB. So I can also understand players like Bastürk, Nuri Sahin & the Altintop brothers who decided to play for Turkey despite being born & growing up in Germany!

It's Özil's own decision ... and thankfully, it seems that he wants to play for Germany.

Have a nice day.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats a pretty serious accusation that smells of a sterotype based judgement!

3. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should now Kirsten19's slurs by now...

4. Wastl

Wastl New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nah, it's actually pretty close to the truth, though maybe not an ideal choice of words. The Turkish federation has actively tried to get young Germans with dual-citizenship for their own team for years. Some of them never even spend a holiday in Turkey or speak Turkish.

They are the most aggressive country when it comes to this. Others do this as well, but not in that style. Not that there is anything wrong if a player feels he's more of a Turk than he is German. Tunay Torun is one example. He had the choice between Germany and Turkey, and decided to play for Turkey. But he made that choice on his own, and he made it before playing for either nations youth-teams.

To lure a player who has played for the other countries youth-teams his whole life through, is just wrong. It's not any better than the big teams throwing money at children to lure big talents to their team.
    That's true for every nation, of course. It's just that some are more involved in doing this than others.

5. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't see anything wrong with them talking to Özil (because, after all, a youth team commitment is exactly not a senior team commitment), though I agree there should be ethics in how aggressively and stealthily that's done, for example if it came to going by someone's parents or appealing to guilt or badmouthing the other national team /nation.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And at the end of the day, Turkey is a football nation trying to compete with the "big" teams. What better way to do that than to have young talent at their disposal? Its not like they're kidnapping these players and brainwashing them. Its up to these young guys to make the decision when all is said and done. And don't blame Turkey, blame the institutions that came up with the laws that allows a player with dual citizenship to play for another country even after he had played for the youth team of another.

7. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Ah, well... How many of you screamed murder back when Neuville was called up by the DFB despite having only spent a year in Rostock and not even speaking German? Turkey does that a lot because there are a lot of Turks in Germany, not because they are particularly evil.

And really, what should they do? They see Özil playing fantastic for Bremen, they know he is still eglible to play for Turkey, they ask him. That's the usual way, the player saying "hey, I'm good right now, I want to play for the Turkish (or German) nt" looks rather arrogant. I don't see why there should be a difference between players with dual nationality and the rest.

8. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I can´t understand, why some people are blaming the Turkish FA
    for asking for Özil.
    Mesut Özil has as much as or even far more relations to Turkey than
    Kevin Kuranyi, Miroslav Klose or Paulo Rink to Germany. :p

But Mesut also has many relations to Germany, born and stayed his whole life here, so i am sure, that Özil decides for the DFB,
    if Mr. Loew calls Mesut after the U21 returning leg.

Edit btw:
    @Kisten: If i were you i would edit the first sentence of your post
    on this page, because i don´t think you meant it the way you wrote it ...

9. Wastl

Wastl New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'll give you Paolo Rink, that's about it. I wasn't in favor of getting Neuville, though he does have some rather big connections to Germany actually.
    Klose is of German origin, it's not his fault that Germany lost part of its area because of WW2. Besides, Klose came to Germany as a child, he grew up here and learned to play football in Germany. Özil neither grew up in Turkey nor does he really speak the language. In fact, his family lives in Germany for three generations. This isn't comparable at all. If Klose had decided to play for Poland you may have had a case, but he didn't.

The problem isn't Turkey "asking" players. If they would only ask the players no one would really care, but they are going much further than that.
    Other countries try to get talents as well, but none of them is as aggressive as Turkey, that's the problem, not dual citizens deciding to play for them.

There is actually one very big reason why Özil can't play for Turkey. He has given up his Turkish passport, he would have to get a new one, which would automatically cost his German one.

10. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some worrying recent Turkish quotes by Fatih Terim and Halil Altintop on Özil's decision (which he has not yet made).

I now think I overestimated the chances that he'd play for Germany. Of course he couldn't announce a change of country right now before the U-21 playoffs, the only professional way of doing it is to keep 100% quiet on the matter, fulfil one's responsibility by playing well in these games and then announce a change of heart. Nothing would have been easier than to confirm his commitment to Germany before these matches.

I would rue this quite probable loss for 14 years and blame Löw big time for it.

11. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont know why you are so negative about this whole thing.

I dont worry a single bit, imo there is no indication that Özil wants to change teams and Löw's recent statements made it very clear that Özil has very good chances for an A-Team callup in the next months.
    If thats not enough for Özil then its hardly Löw's fault.

Seriously, i think some of you should read less media stuff.

12. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He clearly is uncertain, as I said, nothing would have been easier than to restate his commitment. The reason I'm worried is that his decision will ultimately be based mainly on sporting reasons. I personally don't see him as a likely long-term starter for Germany (but as a must-have asset nonetheless). Does he see himself as one?

Btw, I didn't pay attention to the media but to what people with direct access literally said. People should have ignored the stupid Kicker article claiming they know Özil will play for Germany.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if he really wants to play for Turkey then he should play for Turkey...end of!

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    So what kind of source do u have? Show us

I couldnt find a thing in the net regarding Terim still wanna pursuade him. Those Turks should have some sort of dignity too, they are a NT ffs! They shouldn't keep begging Mesut like a dog, after being rejected a few times.

And a week ago, Terim said that Ozil's decision would be made within a day. And Ozil clearly didn't join their team for the two WC qualifiers.
    ITs too late to pick OZil for the WC qualifiers anyway, coz the full squad should be announced in advance to the FIFA(before those games).

So the earliest time Ozil can join Turkey will be November, their next qualiying game. But at the same time, Loew could've chosen him as well. So, i'll say ur source is pretty much BS-ing

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why?

16. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know why you find it so difficult to understand that someone might be uncertain about such a life decision and open to outside persuasion. Such a decision is not a stroke of fate, it's a process.

It's from transfermarkt.de and fussballtalente.net. I wasn't going to translate it, because ultimately it's true that all those quotes don't matter much.

I still think Marin and Kroos are probably more talented, putting him into serious competition with Trochowski (not so much) and Schweinsteiger (probably a long-term fixture, now that he's improved again).

17. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ask Sammer ;). It's his body language, I'm missing that sort of "Biss" (what's the English word?). He can start on a world class level and then suddenly fall back to the standard of a youth player. It's hard to explain, it's what I always criticised about Özil. I remember that the U19 Euro perfectly underlined that feeling. He was very strong in the first 2 matches (except for the last 15 minutes usually), and then basically everything was gone. He played like he wasn't really on the field and his body language was indicative.

Somehow I also wonder why his fitness is still not on the normal level. He seems to be tired after 60 minutes in almost any game and as soon as he becomes tired, his awesome football technique isn't useful because he can't concentrate anymore.

what Projekt means was said on a press conference by Terim. And Halil Altintop said in a video interview that he's already chosen Turkey but wants to be "professional" and play the 2 matches for the U21. The real truth will be found out after the matches, I guess ;)

18. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He. Is. Friggin'. 19. Years. Old.

You simply can't expect consistency on the highest level at this age, and none of the other great talents, including Kroos and Marin, perform great over 90 and more minutes either, at least not on the top level. Actually, very few creative players do, if any, simply because it's almost impossible in modern football (tough marking, athleticism, high pace etc. etc.).

From all the talents of his age group, he has been performing the best, and actually was the most consistent so far this season. He is a starter for a champions league team, I really don't know what people expect.

19. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never said that he should be a perfect player at this age ;). The thing is: I have the feeling that he will be one of those great talents that won't work on this properly and will have to face the consequences later. Maybe I'm wrong, as I said: It's a feeling I have.

20. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Slomka voiced similar concerns in Kicker recently, and quite similar things can and have been said about Kroos. Among those youngsters, I have greatest confidence in Marin's professional mindset.

21. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    agreed, I have absolutely no doubt that Marin will be a great player. He already proved that he's able to learn. I'm too far away from the Kroos situation though, so I don't know in that case. I mean, we rarely see him playing these days. What I believe is a major part of Kroos' problem is the fact, that his best position does not fit to the modern play. Marin actually was a playmaker too, but Gladbach realised that this position is very rare and they made an offensive winger out of him.

22. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see what you mean. It is true, talent alone is never enough to become a great player, you need the right attitude also. But I am actually confident in Özil's case. He is in good hands with Schaaf (as down to earth as it gets), he gets a lot of match practice on the highest level, which is essential for his development, and most importantly, he is a humble guy. Unlike Kroos, who is starting to believe his own hype unfortunately, and confusing self confidence with over confidence, you won't hear a single remark from Özil going in the same direction. He is down to earth, always emphasising the team character of the sport, and he is willing to work on his game and constantly continue to improve.

He has already improved considerably ever since he joined from Schalke, he is learning to track back and help out defensively now that he often plays LM in our diamond midfield, which makes this necessary. His future in Bremen is Diego's position though, the #10, but his versatility actually speaks for him, and his chances to be called up for the national team soon.

23. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sorry but i still wonder how Terim n Altintop Brothers can influence Ozil.
    While Ozil is under Werder Bremen's payroll, Schaaf and Allofs want him to play for Germany so why the hell is Terim more important than senior management of his club, the club that are paying millions for him?

N he is said to have good relationship with some of the german youngsters such as Howedes n Aaron Hunt. So bugger off Terim

24. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't agree with this, neither do I think that Kroos' position is obsolete nor that he is fundamentally unable to play elsewhere (ut that's been discussed so often elsewhere). Unlike Marin, whose physique is a fundamental constraint (not necessarily a problem, but a constraint).

But I know you're quite a Marin fangirl, you mention any ridiculous Kroos dive you spot but never Marin's excellence in that art;)

Haven't ever seen Özil dive...good boy.

25. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Agreed too, Kroos' lack of pace n agility will be his main obstacle of becoming a winger, quite different to Marin's situation. His inability to take on defenders limits his versatility.

Unless its a 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 do not need a playmaker like Kroos. Kroos should be a striker like his younger brother. His finsihing, first touch and off the ball movement is decent at least. that may be his solution coz BM needs another striker anyway!