Mesut Özil

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by hackespitze123, Sep 27, 2008.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw said today he will talk to Özil after the qualification matches. Sounded as if Özil might get an invitation soon ;)

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    But the thing is, Loew is really the one who messes things up. It is obviously tempting for Ozil to play for a Senior NT rather than U21. When we have players such as Fritz and Hitz and others in the squad, and he is still being left out. Playing for Turkey may not look too rediculous.

The story reminds me of Chihi.

After qualification matches, does that mean next year? Oh, Loew.........what a fool. Klinsi and Loew should work together

3. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's hope that's not too late. I don't think so, but find it quite possible.

Özil already was on Bild's blacklist...should he decide against Germany now, those guys would crack.

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I've just listened to two interviews with him on youtube, and his German doesn't strike me as particularily bad. He isn't, well, not exactly a good talker I suppose, but it's pretty much like the youth is talking these days.

5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's 19 (!). If he can't wait with 19, then he should leave!

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    what do u mean by after qualifications tho?

after all of them in October 2009? or just these two? Loew should've really picked him, at least for the Wales match

7. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Youtube

He doesn't have a real Turkish accent (he does have a bit of one, but I'm not sure any more these days what is a Turkish-German and what is a "chav" accent, like saying "sh" for "ch"; that seems to be Turkish-German originally but is now more widespread; anyways), but I refuse to believe his articulation is "normal" (or perhaps I've lived on the moon for too long...)...I found him "probably somewhat susceptible" to other people's talk about the honours of playing for Turkey.

In any case, I wouldn't blame him, but of course I want him for our team.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree...since when is it in Germany's interest to cap a player at such an age in fear of him walking out to comit allegiance to another NT?

When has Germany ever had that cap been the sole issue around using a player - ready or not, for an important WCQM?

:confused::confused::confused:

9. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wake up, it'll be a serious (not huge, but irresponsible) blow to the long-term quality of the national team if we lose him because we didn't act "politically smart" when another national team wanted him.

We could have needed Bastürk in 2002, Hamit Altintop - this past summer!

Özil will probably be better.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, that's one of the videos I saw. He's clearly fluent, but he doesn't seem to be comfortable in interview situations. As far as articulation goes: if you compare Özil to Podolski, well...

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The current squad is for two games: Russia on 11th n Wales on 15th

If Russia is too strong for an experiment, why not the Wales match?

12. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Özil is very needed for the U21 qualification matches vs France. Löw said, that this is the main reason why Özil, Marin etc. be there. He wants to talk with them and some more U21 players about their perspective in the MNT after this matches vs France. The players have to focus.

Right decision Mr. Löw.

13. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I assume Castro, Khedira, J.Boateng(tho pretty bad lately) and Dejagah are included as well.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The more reliable source: Kicker

15. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, after the 2 qualification matches. I say: Let's test our young boys against England in November so that we can see whether they're ready and whether they can compete against a "big team" (ok, that's debatable :D) - call up Marin, Özil and Co and see how they act.

16. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    And what does the kicker article say?
    It says, that Mesuts father adviced him to play for Germany.

Sure, they are. The match vs. France is very important for the U21.
    German U21 squad

I don´t think, the whole citizenship debate is a good preparation
    for him days before an important play-off matches. :mad:
    I hope Mesut can stand these circumstances and shows a good match.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    In what universe is Kicker more reliable than Süddeutsche?

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the Football Universe.

19. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I don't have a problem with Löw not taking Özil for these two matches but imo he or the DFB in general should have talked to Özil already about their plans for the future with him and I hope they have.

Explain to him why you can't call him up now but make it totally clear to him that he will be called up after these two games and that he will be a big part of the German NT in the not too distant future. If he wouldn't understand than just forget him. The German NT should not beg anyone to play for them.

Özil clearly doesn't like talking in front of the camera but he will get used to it. Just look at Podolski and Hamit Altıntop. While not the world's smoothest talkers they improved so much and got much more confident.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^yeah i mean i totally agree with this

they better have talked to him

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, I'll take your word for it. The high school quality writing and lack of insight made me stop reading kicker quite some time ago.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty much.

Theres no need to hound him or to make political call ups. If they explained the situation to him he should understand and be a bit more patient. If thats not the case, the DFB have screwed up by failing to explain the circumstances to him. Or Mesut is just an impatient brat.

23. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, schmoozing him could be or have been enough (Löw personally, though), but Terim's action is no surprise and "politically smart" would just be being prepared for that.

The whole thing is not about patience, it's about which long-term perspectives the two teams can offer him, and it's about identity which is obviously very volatile and suggestible at that age.

24. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. Germany has 3 World Cups and 3 Euro Cups without having to do these silly things, and they will keep winning without having to do it. If Ozil wants to be impatient, let him go with Turkey.

25. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussb...llofs/deutschland-muss-um-oezil-kaempfen.html

Allofs: "Mesut considers himself German. It's not as if it doesn't matter to us, for which country he will play. The German side needs to do everything to convince him to continue playing for Germany. It's a pity if such a talented player does not play for Germany. But I'm sure that Mesut prefers Germany."

Schaaf: "It would be better if he plays for our country. U21 coach Eilts will talk to Mesut. I'm sure he's soon part of the A-national team."