'Messi scores all his goals because of Xavi and Iniesta making sick assists...'

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by schwuppe, Jan 23, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [ame="http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12527454"]PELÉ ETERNO, PELÉ ETERNO teverc06 on USTREAM. Blog[/ame]

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The above film should put pele doubters to shame. Despite heavier shoes, heavier balls and worse pitches Pele could do things with the ball Messi could never dream about.

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a heavier ball actually makes control easier

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    But shooting more difficult.

One can say various things in favor or against Pelé. It is often mentioned that he played in a trigger happy league but it was also important that he was well-protected in Brazil.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    makes me wonder as YOU EVER play football?

1-The harder (real leather) and heavier old ball makes 20yrs old player feeling like 30's -

2- Better SHoes: the fact HI-TECH NIke or Adidas boots HELPS players feeling like playing with barefoot = FULL CONTROL and maneuveour of the ball

=================================================

IMAGINE a Garrincha, Pele or Rivelino wearing NIKE air shoes, playing with this WC10 ball ? Messi or CR7 will be PLEASED to stay on bench and enjoy the WATCHING

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Yes. It is mentioned in the Spanish newspaper “El Mundo” dated 8 May 1980. They cite that for the British, after Pele and Cruyff, comes Maradona!

7. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

Yes, I remember you mentioned those stories years back. It’s nice to hear them again.

Do you perhaps know about what that reporter stated in the return match against Red Star, when Barcelona won 2-1 ?

Maradona set up both goals and I have the Spanish report and it says that he was again the man of the match.

8. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    It’s nice to hear these stories because I was unaware of the European view of the events.

Thanks.

9. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    In fact, up until the early '90s, modern balls actually weighed an ounce more than pre-war balls, but seemed lighter due to the plastic coating and superior manufacturing techniques that meant virtually no water retention.

10. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    It wasn't me that mentioned those stories (perhaps that individual took the info from the same source as I did?). It's taken from a longer interview the reporter made to a Croatian newspaper a few years ago. I just copied what he stated. Among many other things, he talked about Maradona, what he thought about his potential at that time (early 80s) and what are the reasons behind calling Diego with the previously mentioned nickname.

No, I don't unfortunately. But what Maradona did in Belgrade was more than enough to be acknowledged by everyone as the MVP of the match. There is also an interesting story that happened a day before that night. Red Star's players led by their coach went to the stadium to study Barcelona's game, especially Maradona, and after seeing what was he able to do with the ball, some of them later on commented that they ''shitted into their paints''. They were under great pressure.

11. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    My mistake then.

Hmm… It seems they kneeled to him even before the match. It’s never a good sign.

Anyway, thanks for the anecdote.

12. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Proved later on during the match. Barca was clearly the better team, and Red Star initially didn't play well.

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    We're seeing this happen all over again. A coach mad at his players because they were fighting over his shirt. Various opponent players and coaches saying they think he is the best in history. The captain of the upcoming CL semifinal opponent saying he thinks this player is the best in history, his kid idolizes him, and it's a privilege to be able to say he played against him. All talking about a 24 year old.

14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    It’s ironic though, because after WC86, when asked by a reporter in Italy if he was better than Pele, Diego responded: “Pele is number one, I’m just a normal player”.

These types of comparisons made both become rivals, which I always felt was childless on their parts.

And the interesting thing is that Maradona from 1979-1982 liked Pele and Pele liked Diego. In fact, “the black pearl” invited Diego to his home in Rio in 1979 and both got along very well. In 1981, Pele went to Buenos Aires to see Diego and Diego gave him his Boca jersey as a gift, and Pele put it on and posed for the cameras of the magazine of El Grafico and stated: "This is from my friend, Maradona".

It’s funny how things turned sour later on.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think as a wise person, they should have said, let the audiences making choices. or better be humble and say, I don;t know

up until 90's Pele was always #1, the fire was beginning when Maradona retired, there many started put him as #1 which made Pele unhappy - in fact IF Pele was so confident, he should not be such a child ... and so was Maradona.

It's a bit indifferent to say Pele = Maradona, but if I have to say Pele is#1 above Maradona ... it was because Pele careeer was just so perfect and his great record in stats. Other than that I always said, Maradona was the BEST in skills = up to now - maybe forever

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I saw the Austria vs Argentina game in the morning.

Funnily, Maradona scored three goals but he wasn't particularly good in my view! He had some nice flicks though, which separated him from the rest.

Leopolde Luque had a remarkable game as well.

Kurt Jara scored indeed a wonder-goal.

17. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    People say a lot of things, like in 1992 when Joseph Blatter ranked his three best players and put Maradona at 1, Di Stefano at 2, and Pele at 3.

Of course things like this never did sit well with Pele. But the fallout between the two started in the middle of the '80s when Pele had enough with the comparisons, and prior to WC86 he even had the idea to play for Brazil at the WC – which Diego criticized by saying “how can an old man want to come out of retirement and compete at this level”.

So you can imagine the rest, and from then on, it was a constant war between the two.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    But Maradona did make that statement at the Mundialito isn't it?

To be precise: he used the future tense, not a present tense (not: "Maradona is better")

19. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Messi is Barca's best player. It is normal for the team to be set up through him. However, all other players are involved through the near-perfect ball circulation and possession. Messi himself sets up many of his teammates and he gets better and better at doing so with each season.

When did Villa complained he was unhappy? Last season Barca won La Liga and CL. Along the way they gave the World some truly magnificent displays, particularly against Real M and Man United. I do not think Villa was unhappy as you say. Messi set him up numerous times, sometimes Villa scored others he didn't. Who's fault is that? Same can be said about Pedro.

It is really nuts for people to try and discredit Messi by saying that he scores because of Xavi and Iniesta, when clearly the team depends on Messi's plays.

20. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know why are people discussing Pele and Maradona in this topic. The discussion has gone so off topic. If Messi sneezes, someone is going to come out and write that Pele sneezed better in the 60s, Maradona in 80s, etc. Pele's and Maradona's greatness doesn't need justification and is pretty much well known. Moreover, this is not a topic where Messi needs to be compared in greatness to Pele or Maradona. We had that topic before and it has been discussed to death.

I do not see the point of further discussing off topic.......but that is just me.

21. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not surprised by the OP's findings, although to be fair it does help having those players around you - even if it's just in terms of recycling possession!

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree since the topic is already OFF LINE ... wed liek to talk of Pele and Maradona which is more fun :) ;)

23. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry ... don't have one. I suggest you move on to option B, learn Portuguese ;)

25. laudrup_10

laudrup_10 Member

Jun 6, 2011
    haha!:D Thanks either way