'Messi scores all his goals because of Xavi and Iniesta making sick assists...'

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by schwuppe, Jan 23, 2012.

1. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    ...or the final proof that some people just don't watch games and talk whatever they want without any connection to reality.

This is a list of how all Messi goals this season were created
    source: youtube

vs Real
    #1 Solo

vs Real
    #1 Backheel by Pique
    #2 Cross by Adriano

vs Porto
    #1 Mistake by D

vs Villareal
    #1 Pass by Iniesta
    #2 one-two Thiago

vs Osasuna
    #1 Cross by Alves
    #2 Pass by Cesc
    #3 Pass by Cesc and solo

vs Athletic Madrid
    #1 Solo
    #2 Solo
    #3 one-two Villa

vs Bate Borisov
    #1 Cross by Pedro
    #2 Pass by Alves, Messi from Box

vs Racing Santader
    #1 Pass by Iniesta, followed by solo
    #2 Finished after Iniesta hit the post

vs Mallorca
    #1 Penalty
    #2 Pass by Adriano
    #3 Cross by Alves

vs Plzen
    #1 Penalty
    #2 one-two Adriano
    #3 Backheel by Pique

vs Bilbao
    #1 Shot after mistake from D

vs Zaragoza
    #1 Pass by Cesc

vs Milan
    #1 Penalty

vs Rayo Vallecano
    #1 Solo

vs Levante
    #1 Pass by Alves

vs Santos
    #1 Pass by Xavi
    #2 Pass by Alves

vs Osasuna
    #1 Cross by ??
    #2 Shot from Box

vs Betis
    #1 Cross by Sanchez
    #2 Penalty

vs Malaga
    #1 Cross by Adriano
    #2 Solo
    #3 Solo

2. xedeluxe

xedeluxe Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    last season messi has more assist than xavi iniesta assist to messi... hehehe

3. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :) Pique racking up assists with the back-heel haha :p

4. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    schwuppe,

That seems just about accurate. I see Iniesta's name only 3 times, while Xavi's name only once. But a lot more solo efforts from Messi than assists by either Iniesta or Xavi.

I can think of at least two assists from Messi to Xavi this season - vs Osasuna and vs Milan.

Also if I'm not mistaken, last season Alves and Pedro assisted to Messi more often than Iniesta or Xavi did.

Last game vs Malaga away, Messi scored a hat-trick without Xavi even on the field. How can he do that? LOL. It could've been even one more if his free-kick went over the line.

5. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think I've said this before, but Messi is right now one of the best passers in the world, and at the moment he's the guy who creates and sees the most opportunities at Barca. People still think he's just a great dribbler, but he's fast becoming a great playmaker as well.

6. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I completely agree with that. And I think he will continue to get better with his playmaking, passing and vision. He will reach the highest levels at those things, if he is not there or close enough already. When I say "highest levels" I mean Maradona's, Platini's and Zico's levels of playmaking, passing and vision.

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Good job, I've posted the same regarding past seasons. And it's always come back the same; Iniesta and Xavi contribute to way less than half of Messi's goals. In fact Alves contributes more assists to Messi than Iniesta.

It's just a stupid myth that gets repeated over and over by Messi detractors not based on reality.

8. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This thread is a really good repellent for the usual-suspect Messi haters.
    Stats aside, have some of you felt that maybe he has lost some of his fire as compared to last season? I feel like he hasnt given that same amount of "umph" this season. Maybe ive just come to expect too much from him at this point though.

9. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ive noticed this things compared to before:

- He drops deep much more often and for longer periods
    - He passes the ball more frequently usually one touch
    - He thinks before acting alot more and doesn't do something hasty much
    - He slows down more and thinks about his next move instead of going on mazing runs all the time

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  10. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes! I see him waiting for the game to come to him more often this season, as opposed to jumping right in it.

You could be right, maybe its him maturing as a player, but in the latter half of last season he was constantly running, full speed, and never stopped. Barcelona's game improved drastically from it. I haven't seen it as much this season thus far although maybe there hasn't been a situation that has called for it. He has without doubt came through for Barcelona when they needed him this season, in el classicos for example though.

11. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yet he has scored more goals at this time of the season compared to the last two at the same period. And if I'm not mistaken he has also assisted more at the same time. He has done that without spectacular plays or being in his highest gear yet. Or has he? Or are we so used to him and his great plays that we have to the point that we see them as routine for him and not as spectacular as before.

For example, if two or three years ago he made passes like he does to Abidal all season long (not just in the last Real M game) how impressed we would've been?

Those would be accurate observations IMO. His game is more mature, patient and calculated than ever. I would say his passing and playmaking are getting better and better.

I think he is pacing himself to deliver his best for the team at the business end of the season in the up coming months.

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol anyone who saw the match with malaga would see messi really does not relly on iniesta or xavi (didnt even play!)

he scores many goals, almost single handedly!

Contrast that to CR7, who relies on referees to call penalties so he can be ahead of messi in scoring races:rolleyes:

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Did you ignore what the OP wrote and the actual stats?

Well if the shoe fits. In La Liga: Cristiano Ronaldo 23 goals 9 PK's. Lionel Messi 22 goals 2 PK's.

14. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Are we finally seeing the light and realizing the truth?!:p

It is about time......

15. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe the argument relates not so much to assists, but to their importance to the overall play and build-up for Messi to get his breaks and scoring chances.

16. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But a lot of it is started or created by Messi himself. And he combines more with other teammates at Barca, not just Xavi or Iniesta and not necessarily to attack that lead to chances for him or him only.

Messi sets up his teammates as much as they set him up, plus solo plays. Just this last weekend he scored a hat-trick without Xavi on the field and without any involvement in any of the goals by Iniesta.

People say Messi is what he is because of Xavi and Iniesta as if these two assist him for most of his goals or half of his goals. Which in reality is very far from the truth. Messi had more assists to his teammates last season, than Xavi and Iniesta combined. And only 7 or 8 of his 53 goals last season were assisted by either one of them. This trend hasn't changed this season so far.

17. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I don't believe "It" is created by Messi, not exclusively.

"It" is a series of passes and movement completed by various players that wear down, tear up, and ultimately open space up for a player, namely Messi, to go through.

The only thing, I think, one can point to Messi, is he, supposedly, wouldn't fare in other "footballing circumstances", and his versatility is, therefore, doubted. But that is a rather moot point.

No sides are being taken by me, I'm just clarifying what the most reasonable argument may be.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If that were the case, then most of Messi's goals would occur late on in matches. I think someone showed earlier that isn't the case at all.

Yes, Iniesta and Xavi help maintain possession which probably leads to more touches of the ball by Messi. OTOH, I'm sure Messi would be amazing on a counter-attacking team that "only" gets 45-55% possession. Sure he wouldn't get quite as many touches, but he would have more space to run into and take advantage of his ability to dribble at speed.

More possession doesn't make it easier to score. Barca have been a lower-scoring team than Madrid for several years now despite having far more possession.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ Today's match was a good illustration of what I just wrote above. Despite Iniesta out injured and Xavi playing poorly, Messi had the same impact as usual. The absences of (real) Xavi and Iniesta just made Barca a lot more vulnerable defensively.

20. Danizaca

Danizaca New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok wait, you are saying Messi is a single and normal player?
    The way he controls the ball and makes goals is just fantastic !
    You can't say that Messi's goals are just because Xavi and Iniesta. Yes, they have responsability, but Messi could make a lot of goals without them.

21. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's all you need to say right there malaga lololol is not like he is scoring vs strong teams.

[]__[]

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Messi = top scorer in Champions League 4 straight years and averages about 1 goal per game against Real Madrid in his career.

Just stop. Football clearly isn't the sport for you. Try baseball.

23. sandipset

sandipset Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I agree Messi scoring against Manchester United, Ac Milan, Lyon, Bayern Munich, Shakhtar Donetsk,Arsenal, Real Madrid, and Valencia is nothing because all these teams are weak.

24. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Go back and look at all messis goals in champions league

werder bremen 1
    celtic 2
    lyon 3
    bayern munich 2
    manchester united 2
    BATE Borisov 2
    Viktoria Plzeň 3
    milan 1 pen
    dinamov kiev 2
    stuttgart 3
    Panathinaikos 2
    Copenhagen 4
    arsenal 4
    rangers 1
    shakstar donestk 4
    real madrid 2
    basel 2
    sporting cp 1
    leverkusen 6

bunch of goals vs weak ass teams only a few of all those goals were scored vs top teams i even included lyon as a top team but honestly they are far from it but i would give you them and still majority of his goals are vs weak teams

[]__[]

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    A lot would argue that Arsenal was a top team, but people tend to forget that it was an absolutely reserve side, where all the key players were out or injured.