Meet the Coaches - March 7

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by The Riptide, Feb 21, 2009.

1. The Riptide

The Riptide New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Riptide will be hosting an afternoon of Q&A with Breakers coaches Tony DiCicco and Lisa Cole on Saturday, March 7.

Where: Days Inn of Boston, 1234 Soldiers Field Road, Brighton, MA

When: Q&A starts at 2:00, so plan on arriving between 1:30 and 1:45

The event is free for Riptide members. Not a member? You can sign up at the event, and you can get more information at our website, here.

Can't make it, but still have questions for Tony and Lisa? Submit them as a comment here, and we will be sure to ask for you.

The conversation with Tony and Lisa will last from 2:00 until 3:00. After that, we will meet as a group to discuss our plans and goals for this season (scarves, road trips, merchandise, fundraising, charity, flags/banners, chants...).

Come with lots of questions for the coaches and ideas for the group. Hope to see you there!

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent!

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has alot of views and hardly any posts!!

I hope everyone comes out next Saturday to talk with Tony and Lisa, support Riptide and discuss all the things what we want to accomplish this season!!

http://riptide08.com/

:D

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MR brewing is 2 PM on Saturday.

:(

I love my Breakers.

I love my beer.

I am so torn.

5. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    What he said...

By Saturday, they'll be a week into preseason, and they'll have just five more days before having to pare the roster down to 24 (per this Globe article) - so there certainly will be plenty to talk about on Saturday. Tony and Lisa should be able to provide a lot of insight about our new team. I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Even more than that, I'm looking forward to planning our first year as a supporters group. I can't wait to see how this group is shaped by its members. To be a part of something from the very beginning, to help shape the group and to start traditions that will hopefully last for many years to come, is quite exciting.

So, come to the event on Saturday, get the inside scoop on the Breakers from Tony and Lisa, and get in on the ground floor with the Riptide!

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no idea how badly I wish I could go. If any votes need to be conducted, I'll have my phone with me at work.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure if you want any of your questions answered by Tony and Lisa to post them on Riptide08.com in the Meet The Coach article.

8. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh definitely.

9. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same problem so I am going with Miss Manners who says never reneg on a previous committment just because something better comes along. I already promised to help with the beer brewing before the MTC event date was set. Like Matt I'll have my phone if you need anything.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then again, more hands are needed for bottling than brewing. ;)

11. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to take care of any "oops" moments. :D

12. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Saturday
    2:00
    1234 Soldiers Field Road - Days Inn
    Be there.

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please!

and bring lotsa questions...:p

14. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did it go? I'm dying to know here.

15. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I would have liked a better turnout, but other than that the event was great. After hearing Tony and Lisa talk about this team, I cannot wait to see them play. They thoroughly and eagerly answered all of our questions - about potential starting lineups, the relationship with the Aztec, our strongest opponents, our style of play, opinions on the skorts, similarities/differences between WUSA and WPS, Fabiana's injury, how we'll be affected by the Euros... It was very informative and enjoyable. There are few people out there with more women's soccer knowlege than Tony, and to be able to pick his brain is always a pleasure.

After listening to them talk about this team, I have a feeling this is going to be a great season.

Thanks to everyone who made it out for this event - I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the answers to thise questions are ...?

Share, please.

17. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    That was YOUR job :D

Guess you had to be there - the coaches had so much to say, there's no way to report it all in a post here. But, you can always ask them again later..

http://www.breakersnet.com/

We might get something on there soon...

18. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    As Tony said, it's really tough to sum up over an hour of conversation in a post, but here are a few highlights:

*Looks like Luckenbill will be the starting GK, with Nancy A-G and LePeilbet in front of her. The coaches seem impressed with that pair anchoring the defense, with Mitts and Scott as outside backs. DiCicco mentioned the need to give someone else experience in the center of defense as well, because he anticipates a national team callup for LePeilbet (or possibly Goffi).

*Lilly and Smith will be running the offense. They're testing out a number of players in search of a holding midfielder.

*Fabiana is still overseas recovering, and they don't want to rush anything there.

*The skorts are unnecessary.

*The league recently decided to go with 3 subs per game, but Tony wants 4. (He wants to give players minutes because he anticipates losing players for international callups/injuries)

*He emphasized the importance of a player's character when making roster selections - players who are good people and who know how to win championships.

*They have a lot of tough decisions to make over the next couple weeks...

19. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Julie has joined us at BreakersNet.com, and her first report is now up online.

20. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    It was a great event. Thanks to everyone who put it together. I'm really excited for the season to start and our first away game viewing!

21. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say I am a little bit surprised to hear they are going to have both Lilly and Smith running the offense. With all the strikers and attacking midfielders they have on the team I would have thought Lilly would be put back into the holding midfielder position to provide veteran leadership from that position, with Hucles and Smith running the offense.

I guess that means that one or two of Hucles, Latham and Rodriguez is going to be coming off the bench to start the year.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He mentioned that A-Rod would be starting on the flank. Hucles could very well be our forward or holding mid. Tony plans on starting 4 in the back so I'm think they will go with a 4-5-1 (or a 4-3-3 depending on how you look at it).

23. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, Hucles could play holding mid as well. I do like the fact of having 4 in the back especially considering the talent on that backline. I don't see a 4-5-1 playing out too well. I don't think they need 2 holding mids with LePeibet and Goffi on the backline. A 4-3-3 I could see working effectively. I was thinking they might be better suited with a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-2-1-2. But they have so many dynamic players they could get away with a lot of different looks.