MD37: AS Roma - Catania (May 5th, 2012) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, May 3, 2012.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To be honest I think Totti missed it on purpose and the way he took the p.k even an idiot like me could tell where he was going to shot it..I think he thought the p.k was b.s as did I when I saw it...

2. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nah, it was just a shit penalty. It was the rebound that concerned me more, he didn't look interested in finishing it off...very lazy attempt

3. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He always goes to the left....

Andreas repped this.
  4. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Yes. His penalties are too predictable.

5. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Does putting Borini and Osvaldo toogether is looking good formation to you? Does subing osvaldo instead of borini who did nothing is looking good for you? The guy is an idiot!

6. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not even going to attempt a rational response because it's no use. You can't rationalize an irrational situation.

Carry on.

7. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

That is exactly what is meant to say.

8. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Catania is very good team this season and if the circumstances were different (we aren't fighting for Europe) I would be very pleased with the draw. We should win this, we were unlucky, we did make chances, but our defense buried us again. Heinze to be precise

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Certainly not Heinze's best moment, especially considering his pedigree. However there is only so much you can do, with the full backs moving so far up field the midfielders should be ready to fall back and defend that space. That clearly doesn't happen.

My biggest fear is that next season, new players and all, it will be the same story. Luis Enrique in his 3 years of coaching has conceded more or less 60 goals a season. The defensive phase clearly is not his strong suit.

10. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think that in all his coaching carrer he didn't have true defenders to dispose with.

I know what you are saying, and I can understand people who lose faith in him, but I just love the way that players belive in him, and the way they all get together. He doesn't have true experience and all that, but I sure give him a credit to have courage and bring that kind of football in Italy. Also, I love the way he gives a younger players more chances

To be honest no one can't tell how this all would look like next season. I really hope that next year we will bring adequate full backs who can transform from defense to middfield and who are cepable to get back in defense when ever is nedded. His style is based on quick and cepable full back. And that we sure don't have. Of course, I don't have to mention two quality CB's, and I am sure that things would be much better.

11. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    The thing is about his style against bigger teams we tend to get dominated. That's not the defense problem, it's the tactic we play with. If LE will stay he cannot force his ideology, he needs to adapt too.

12. Inie8ta

Inie8ta Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I think LE was hired FOR/BECAUSE of his ideology. That is the product this new management wants to sell.

13. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Well can the team be competitive with this style? It's hard to tell.

If they want to be competitive they need to spend alot to get the right players

14. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Even if LE goes, we need to spend alot of money even for the same positions that we would spend if he stays

15. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think that's a very bold assumption to make and I don't really feel you have much evidence to back it up. Sure when he was in the Serie C of Spain he had worse defenders than he those know, but he was also facing weaker strikers. The same applies for his time in the 2nd Spanish division. I think it's more logical and there is more evidence to support the fact that the defensive phase is a very weak part of his game.

16. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    With the players we have now and a more conservative tactic we could have done better. Look at Ranieri, he didn't have the players that are present now but he managed to grind points.

17. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He doesnt rely on marking, he isnt good at that.Even barcelona suffer at times in free kicks and marking.
    His way of defending is keeping ball with you 70 %...so that the other team doesnt carry attacks on u.
    For this philosophy to work you need top class players with the ball, who have accurate passing..

18. Inie8ta

Inie8ta Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I think that should be pretty obvious to Sabatini, Baldini and co. If you want champagne football, you need highly technical players that can actually keep possession and make good decisions/passes under pressure.

One thing that frustrated me over and over again this season was how many times we gave the ball away either in our half, or close to our half after our defense had pushed up and most of our players were in the attacking third.In this system that is just suicidal and I kept thinking LE would straighten this out. It kept happening over and over again. Totti, Taddei, Gago, and Rosi were especially guilty of this over the course of the season. Trying to make a slick dribble or no look back pass to our CB's when 85% of the team is ahead of the ball and there are miles between the CB's and the goalie is just plain dumb. Messi tried this at stamford bridge and it cost Barca the tie. He was positioned much deeper than where he usually plays, got the ball and tried to dribble his marker. Lost the ball and less that 5 seconds and 2 passes later Barca were picking the ball out of the net. That kinda stuff is what killed us against the smaller teams we lost to. We gifted them too much. Way too much.

Now, I would like to believe that something that seemed sooo obvious to me would have been just as obvious to the coaching staff and they would have addressed it, but it kept happening. We will keep conceding lots of goals if the players don't realize that giving the ball away in certain parts of the field is like a death sentence.

We need to be smarter in possession. I think bad decision making/execution in our midfield area (not necessarily by midfielders), and profligacy in front of goal cost us this season more than poor defending. Even Puyol, Pique, and Mascherano get their asses handed to them when Barca lose possession like that. It's elementary stuff.

19. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't have true evidence, I agree, but I just assume since only club he managed before us was Barca B.

I wouldn't support any evidence based on our defense. We don't have full back's our main CB's are injured, and our main midfield player was put in as CB. We played with slow and unpredictable Heinze, and hot - cold Kjaer, let's say more cold (I am talking about his form)

20. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no metter what we need new players

21. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    :thumbsup:

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Personally I doubt it, I think they missed the ball with the entire "copy Barcelona" ideology. The things we should have copied from Barcelona are very few and very simple. A single formation and tactical approach throughout the academies. Actually it's probably the only thing we should have copied.

Italian defenses are too organized and too patient for this system to work. Every week I see the same thing, Roma with a lot of sterile possession. The only time we actually turn it up and play the way we should is when we are already down a goal or too. Possession football is fine but it needs to be adapted to the realities of Italian football. Counter fast, then if the counter fails recover maintain possession and look to slow things down looking for an opening. Then once you lose the ball and recover it in the defensive phase you repeat. Luis Enrique's game is too slow, and expects space that is just not going to be there.

That's my two cents, and while I believe we should move forward I do think we can move forward from where we are without throwing everything away.

23. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Don't know if it was already brought up but Marquinho had a really good game IMO

24. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll be better when we improve our defense and midfield.

Yesterday was a good example. He makes a good run forward from the LB position, almost puts Osvaldo through (I think), but we surrender possession. Catania makes a run down the space he leaves, no midfielder knocks them off the ball, so their forward is 1v1 with Heinze and he surrenders a pen.

I don't think you can blame Marquinho for making the run, it was nearly brilliant and that's what an attacking fullback is supposed to do, but it highlights to me how we're still short a few players for these tactics to work.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Capitano :(