MD34: Juventus - Roma (April 22, 2012) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by pdid10, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rather then making 5 - 6 passes before losing the ball.Now we make 15 passes before losing it :D

And we have improved possession .But we still cant shoot on goal.:p

2. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Team morale. The last few seasons have had the team quitting on the manager. Just about everybody speaks highly of Enrique. DDR was suspended by him and management, yet was mentioned as a big reason for signing a new long term contract. That's one thing, and probably the biggest thing in my mind. As long as the players want him around and respect his training, we're miles ahead of where we've been in the past.

Before we moved back to a few more long balls, I did think our midfield was looking better in how they passed and moved with DDR, Pjanic, and Gago. I think Marquinho doing well and Gago being consistently ok has kind of upset the midfield setup.

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What a load of crap. For starters as outsides we are in absolutely no position to know what the morale actually is. We can only speculate. Personally I'm sure Stekelenburg is through the roof in morale. He was considered a world class keeper last summer and now he ship 4 goals a game. Give me a break.

4. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I can only go on what comes out of the players' mouths, or at least is reported as coming out of the players' mouths. I'm sure Stek isn't too happy about being stranded with no chance as often as he is now, however, just about everything I can recall from the players has been positive in regards to Enrique as coach. So I'll stick with the team morale being higher. As far as I can tell, they all still believe in Enrique.

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well wow some quotes from De Rossi from 3 months ago. That's a lot to go on. The reality is tactically and on the pitch there has been no improvement what so ever. Unfortunately some people don't want to admit to that.

6. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I could make up some stuff if you'd prefer?

I'm not going to argue any longer about this. You watch all the games. You know what the reality is. Everybody else is just in denial. There are no alternatives.

7. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you prefer to sum it up like that fine. However you guys that are still favorable to LE are living on a promise, and nothing more. Get him better players and things will work out. Idle speculation.

Maybe that's true maybe it's not. Well have to wait and see.

However all I know is that after 8 months I have not seen improvements in any one department. Not in attack, midfield, or defense. Maybe I got it all wrong, but there should be some improvement.

8. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's your issue. I'm not favorable to LE. As I've stated, I'd rather have gotten Bielsa last summer.

However, I'm a rational person who can see the big picture. The big picture for this season had little to do with on field performance. This year was all about implementing the new management, the discipline, the transfer ideology, etc. The goal of this year's on field performance was to be competitive. I'd say we're competitive.

Next year, Enrique will have been given a full pre-season and management will have been able to conduct affairs throughout the entire market period. I'm entirely neutral on whether or not LE is the right man for the job, I just recognize that this first year was essentially a throw away for the club; throw some shit at the wall and see what sticks, sort out the mess next summer when they actually have some time. That's what this season is/was.

Next year though, I expect to see some noticeable strides, both in how we play, and our overall quality of the squad.

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We have improved at home greatly in general. We can be confident of winning well against the smaller sides when before we would just get the job done or struggle.

We dont have a complete squad, would you agree? So why not give him the chance if we can go someway to completing a squad in the summer.

Last night was sh it, horrible, it made me sick. He took a risk with his team selection and tried to rest players, it didnt work, it was a risk that backfired. Everything they hit went in in the first few minutes and then that ref finnished the game as a contest

10. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The first point I just plain disagree, we are okay against weak opponents when everything goes our way. And it's few and far between.

We don't have a complete squad, but that can't be forever used as an excuse. There is always going to be a piece that is missing. Does Napoli have a complete squad? Does Udinese or Lazio? If the excuse is the lack of a squad would another coach not do better under those circumstances as well?

See this 3rd bit if the most fascinating of them all. Last night should be excused because we tried something and it backfired. What exactly was that something? To not go for the result. I thought Luis Enrique always went out and played to win? That's what he's been telling us for the last 8 months. Go into every match with the intent of winning. But now we are resting players in preparation for the next match. We'll it looks like we've gone full circle back to an old fashioned Italian minestrone, but to me that seems like something a Ranieri type would do. And really to even entertain the idea that we should be resting players when it's been 10 days since our last match is beyond ridiculous.

Why aren't more people asking why Perrotta started? Perrotta has been the last choice midfielder. Even Viviani, who is just a kid, has been favored over him. So why Perrotta all of sudden. His last start was when Fiorentina trashed us. Why bring him back now. Why not Simplicio, who has been favored up until now and put in a solid performance in his last game.

There is just no logic in these choices. To justify one thing you need turn a blind eye to one another. Here we are leading the revolution playing attacking minded football. Not playing for the result. Except against Juve then we dust off Perrotta and rest players in anticipation for the next match.

11. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My disappointment in LE stems from the fact he's abandoned his ideology. The football has disappeared - all that happens now is the two wingbacks run up the pitch and leave the the CBs and most particularly Stek stranded. There is no fluidity in the team just senseless running up the pitch and passing the ball back to each other - against strong teams like Juve this is exposed.

If LE is just playing for the results then we might as well bring Ranieri back because he actually churned out results.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I am really busy at work today :( so dont have time to made a long point. We have had some execellent performances at home. How many times int he last few years have we won 4-1, 5-1, 5-2 at home? That has improved.

I was probably the first on here to question many things about him, including his tactical approach and looking back now, I actually believe I was foolish to question it so early. I think you are living in dream land if you think we can always play the beautiful football. It is a building process and playing for a result is the coachs number 1 target, end of story. Of course thinking about the next game and trying to conserve the players is first choice at this stage, look at Barca against Madrid at the weekend, different scales but still relevent.

He came with a game plan, it was to sit tight, like the Milan tactics, playing Perrotta seemed a logical choice because he fitted the system. He will work hard, tactically experienced, and fresh. It didnt work.

It is naive to think we should always play beautiful football. Rinus Michels, the man who created total football said, at the end of the day the result is number 1 on the coachs mind. LE had to think of future games given the league table. Somehow, until last night it was still possible to make CL

13. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Wins against Cesena, Novara, and the worst Inter in a decade. Ranieri in his first year had two home match where we scored at least 4 goals and he then 4 matches where we scored at least 3 goals. The majority of the remaining home matches he won with at least two goals.

It would be one thing if there was a positive pattern behind those 3 results, so at least one could say "hey we are growing" but there isn't and for each of those 3 glorious victories we've endured another humiliation at the next corner.

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    One last thing and then I'm done with this thread, because I promise no one hurts from this as much as I do.

It's not so much the results and our position as it is the manner of the results. I was prepared to lose last night, but for the game to be over in 8 minutes is just too much. I can't take it, it's like a woman you love betraying you. This despair and emptiness. And then I sit there watching, knowing there is nothing that is going to turn things around.

If Ranieri's Roma risked turning me into a golf fan out of boredom. Then Luis Enrique's Roma is risking turning me into a monk out of ongoing betrayal.

That's it, I'm done with this match. Let's hope Luis Enrique can figure out Fiorentina.

15. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I want to give Montella another chance. From the beginning I wanted Montella to lead this team instead of LE.

The excuse of Montella will favor his teammates was an excuse by the management of why they let him go.

He is doing pretty well with Catania, let's get our boy back

16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I say let him stay at Catania for one more season it will do him some good to hammer out his tactics some more and see what works and what doesn't work.

17. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He played Doni for christ's sake!

He's doing well with Catania no point disturbing his work

18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the Doni thing was prob done to keep peace in the team didnt him and JS have a go at one another ?

19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just like Spalletti, Montella can not come back to Roma until the majority of the old-guard are gone.

20. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where have you been? The majority is gone. They are not naive people, when they coached they were fielding the strongest team Roma had, so that they could get the best results and keep their job. They cared less about integrating new players and what not

21. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fielding Doni was the strongest goalkeeper we had?

If you think LE didnt have the experience to coach Roma, how is Montella any different in his coaching experience? This is a general question for all the poeple who want him back.

22. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    its a weak excuse, to keep saying "majority be gone".very weak excuse.

think something better.

23. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Luis Enrique is more qualified to coach Roma than Montella. How about that?

24. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Montella is a crap coach and it is only the character of the Catania team that gives the results...

25. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Say that to the management, if they can't get a better coach why change him in the first place?

Plus Montella didn't have the players that LE had, I am sure if he had Stek and Doni he would field Stek