MD34: Juventus - Roma (April 22, 2012) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by pdid10, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    litch did the "4 e via" at the end of the match...

2. DrinkGC

DrinkGC Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Lamela's spit didn't hit his eye. I have 0 respect for the player, ex Lazio current Juve... SMD.

I wasn't able to watch this match (thankfully) due to work but I saw our 4-0 win and Totti's gesture years back. Totti made the gesture in response to Juve players complaining to the ref and it came off as "look at the scoreline, it's over, shhh" than just a taunt... were our players swarming the ref when Stephan (dumb name, right back, non goal scorer) did it?

IDK what was more upsetting, watching the scoreline or reading about how the second and third goal were scored. :mad:

3. forza venti

forza venti Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MI
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I mostly agree with this. Keep the big picture in mind, as well as the context.

4. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good call about the differences there. Shows the lack of tact within the Juventus Club

5. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Pretty good post, imo, and it touches on what I've said all along.

We, as fans generally don't want to accept what this season's goal was: to lay the foundation for years to come. League expectations-wise this basically means not being relegated/not fighting for relegation and showing a few glimpses of promise. The main focus of this first year was to set a tone in how the club would be managed and run under the new owners. You can see our new transfer policy/idealogy. We can see the work being done for a new stadium. We can see the heirarchy of club rules and behavior>player (De Rossi's suspension, Osvaldo's suspension, obviously both pretty key players for our side). It's this new discipline, mindset, and order from the top down that is the goal for this season, and it's been mostly accomplished as I can see. Along with those suspensions, the week-in-week-out drama of Totti being bigger than the club has subsided; hopefully this is because Totti has accepted his position at the club of that as a legend, but also as a human who can no longer play 90 every game and will not play 90 every game.

Echoing what Roma_NY said here, and what I've said before, we have a team full of young "potential" and "hype". We have a lot of "in a few years" kind of players. Take a real look at our squad, who do we have that is a real champion quality player? De Rossi? Surely, but now he's having to cover at CB. Totti? He has his days. Stek? Was touted as world class when brought in, but has been left with basically no chance countless times this season. I'd say we're unable to fairly judge him. Beyond those players, we have nothing at that level. Osvaldo, while good, is certainly not at that level right now. Pjanic looks like a real star in the making and is already the best player for Enrique's system, I believe. But again, he's young and not consistent in controlling the game with his distribution. Lamela? Very young, very raw, loads of talent. Angel? Who the hell knows what happened to the player from the first few games, but unless he magically recaptures that form, he clearly is not the answer at LB for us right now. Gago? He's ok. I could do this for all our players, but I think I've made my point.

The fact we're even somewhat seriously challenging for CL this year is a big achievement and, I think, would have been taken by us ahead of the season.

"This season, the club will re-introduce discipline. Players behavior will have consequences and they will understand that they are players and management is management, and management trumps. The club will bring in many "talents" with longer term, lower salary contracts. The club will also attempt to rid itself of a few terrible contracts from the exiting regime. This will lower Roma's wage bill, and allow more flexibility in the coming transfer markets. Management will also be working on finalizing details of the construction of new, club owned and operated stadium while also working on/against other policies a la league revenue sharing, tessera del tifoso, etc. Despite all this change, some of the young players either not cutting it (ex: Angel) or taking a while to settle in (ex: Kjaer), despite having to rely on a defence with De Rossi as CB alongside a young Kjaer and flanked by two totally underwhelming fullbacks...despite all this, Roma will challenge for CL."

We would all take this before the season, as most of us preached patience and acknowledged that this year's performances would be a bit bumpy.

I'm not here saying I know Enrique is the man to lead us for 5-6 years and have us challenge for CL titles/win a few scudettos, but I do know that this year is not really about him, and thus is not really anything we can really judge him on. Give him some wingbacks that are at least decent, one more good CB, and one more good MF, and we'll see where he's at after next year.

Many of us have lost perspective. We've essentially overachieved this year, and now people are calling for heads because we're inconsistent. Duh we're inconsistent. Look at our squad and all the club's changes objectively. We're in a pretty good position, all being considered. Sometimes, you're too close to the forest to see the trees.

6. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Now about this game specifically, we got thrashed, plain and simple.

Juve is better than we are at the moment. That's the long and short of it. This has little to do with Enrique, they're just a better side. A more fair result would have been along the lines of 2-1 today, but it was always going to be considered a huge win and an upset for us to beat them, and would have been considered a good point if we had drawn.

First goal, not much to say. Horrible give away in midfield and Vidal finished well. Second goal probably should have been a foul and free kick for us, but it wasn't given; Vidal's finish was nigh unstoppable. PK? I guess? Realistically, the attacker will just about always get that call even if they initiate the contact while the keeper pulls their legs back. It's shit, but the way it is. Red? Terrible decision. To give a red when Juve is already 2-0 up, is receiving a pk, and the keeper tried to avoid contact only to have the attacker create contact? BS. Fourth goal? 10 men against Juve, do we really expect them not to score again? Pretty decent finish by Marchisio.

I was disappointed by the way the game went today, but I'm not disappointed in how the team played; this wasn't a Lecce performance. Even down to ten men, the guys played decently and kept their heads up, which is all we can ask them to do, as it shows a sense of pride, both in their own play and for Enrique as coach.

Juve was better anyway, it was unfortunate the ref helped them when they didn't even need it.

7. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well said shiboboo. I have been saying the same thing for a while now. The human race has never been good at looking at the long term.

8. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Carlo Zampa on last night:

"Another four goals conceded. A team in pieces, that isn't capable of reacting. A team that doesn't give the sensation of wanting to fight, and this is preoccupying. Roma needs to consider changing coach ahead of next season. Juventus is stronger, but the same thing happened against Lecce. Roma isn't playing in any cups, you can't continue to make the same mistakes. I don't understand selecting Simone Perrotta, the last time he started was in Florence. We don't shoot on goal, we don't give any signs of life, this situation needs to be resolved. Plus you have situations like Lamela, who will likely be suspended for four days. You can't react like that, you need to accept it. Totti did the same thing to Tudor. Another sending off, most of them on the last man. I see Luis Enrique in difficulty. I would go forward until the end of the season. It's unacceptable that after 7/8 months of work you see these type of performances."

Sums up my feelings exactly, and to all of the "project" people I say this. A project is not something you outline and then set in stone. Maybe you haven't worked on my projects. It's something you launch and them carefully monitor. You track the project. You asses your project. And we something is clearly going off course, you CORRECT your project.

I've given Luis Enrique an entire season, and I don't feel like I've seen any improvement. The attack and the forward movements are weak. Even if we keep the clean sheet and maintain possession I don't see anything in most cases that is very threatening. I would call it "sterile." Defensively I don't think anyone could argue there have been improvements. We the teams in relegation zone stick 4 goals in you there is not much to say.

So for all the "project" people, let me ask you this. If we go forward how many more people get to humiliate us next season before you wake up? Do we go through the entire season, or just half?

And for the record I would be willing to give LE another go if I could just point to one thing and say "here we've improved." Because all things considered I really do like the man. However I just can't do that. I think back to the start of the season and I don't see any improvement what so ever.

The way I see it, the "project" is not a failure if we fire Luis Enrique come the end of the season. It doesn't mean we are throwing everything away and starting over. The "project" is long term, it's greater than one coach. If we move on the "project" will continue and hopefully we don't throw away another season.

9. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I said on day one, if LE to fail here...you blame the guy who hired him in first place.
    The day I heard Luis Enrique will be our coach, I thought it was just a joke.
    If you wanted to change the philosophy of the team, its style...at least hire a foreigner with experience.here you got a foreigner with zero experience, and zero knowledge of the league.

it was bad choice to begin with..and a WTF move...

10. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to see Enrique get fullbacks worth a damn, and another midfielder to combine with Pjanic. I want to see Enrique get a full off season with a few players that are good.

Should he get something that resembles a talented defense, and an entire pre-season where some of these young players will be going into year 2 of his coaching, then I can start to judge him. As of now, I just don't feel I can judge him on this season.

Same as I said over the summer, before Enrique was hired, Bielsa was my number 1 choice. I hope a new defense and a pre-season makes all the difference because the inconsistency frustrates me as well, but if it doesn't I'd still put Bielsa and Spalletti as my top choices.

11. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IMO you can never seperate yourself from the enivorment your in.Hence why, you get a manager who is performing in the league, knows Roma and knows serie a.I believe Falvo was one who pointed this out before too.
    Like Spalletti who made the jump to us due to similar success Mazzarri Guidolin & likes are enjoying now

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sure people are products of their environment that is true 100% but the rest is a load of crap. And it's only true circumstantially, and or until someone comes along and proves you wrong. Which most will then shun in order to clutch on to their stupid argument. A quality manager will thrive regardless of the environment. He will adapt and merge his ideas to the reality on the ground.

13. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not everything is Enrique's fault, but many things are. Like frozing out Henze, and putting De Rossi as a CB - it did not made our defense more secure, but finishe off our midfield.

First of all, as it seems the team has the same problems as the last two years, minus goalkeeper: defense and midfield. The defense is weak and mainly instabile, the midfield is unable to help the defense and the attack.

It was clear in january, we need a CB, but Roma did not brought one? Why? we have problems of CBs, and full-backs, still.

Secondly Gago and Pjanic...Gago is a way too soft player to do de Rossi's job when he's playing CB or off. And even when De Rossi is there, he tends to overtake the passing in the midfield and slows the game down with backward and horizontal balls. Pjanic had some great games at first, but was overplayed a bit, and also, he doesn't have the character to drag the attack alone (aka without Totti or de Rossi on the field). And I don't think he can be a very effective treq in the Serie A, as contrary to the French championship.

The young players lack character, it is amizing to see how much Totti's presence adds to the mentality. And also find it's a bit sad, that the kind of committed players seems to disappear from the football fields, and there is a flow of young, talented, but committed only to themselves (in the best case) type of players. this fore placed individuality (in everything, not only in sports) goes against the spirit of this game based on a group's mentality.

Bojan, I don't know what to say, and Lamela needs a lot of time yet to grow up.

So I think, as much of some decisions are clearly Enrique's fault, I think not everything. He cannot certainly change the character of players during even one season - on the other hand, I also think tactically he is still no learn enough for the Serie A.

14. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree to some extent, this is why I said you hire one with experience 2 posts above if you want someone from a different enviroment .Mourinho is the prime example, he adapts to wherever he goes.

15. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This is a really becoming a lame excuse. Sure some players are poor, but are they that poor? Let's be honest here? Statistically our defense is on par with the relegation teams.

Now are you telling me that these players are that bad? Keep in mind I don't think Kjaer, Angel, Rosi, and anyone in the defense should stay after this season. But be honest are they that bad?

Would they let in the same amount of goals regardless of the coach?

I have a tough time believing that.

But let's examine another scenario, I'll grant you that our defense is bad. Explain to me why Luis Enrique did not field the same formation that worked so well against Udinese?

What was the grand plan that led him to bench Totti and introduce Perrotta of all people in one of the most important matches of the season?

Perrotta sure as heck was not there to man mark Pirlo, for the 3 third time in a row we left Pirlo all the room he could desire. So we can scratch that one off.

Maybe he wanted to cover himself a bit more?

That's an interesting proposition, but what happened to his uncompromised vision of football? This is the guy who week out keeps on telling people he's only going to play his type of football. And he chickens out? Is that how we plan on revolutionizing Italian football?

Or maybe he just figured it was a lot cause, and he might as well save Totti for the next game?

Another interesting theory. It certainly explains his demeanor during a lot of matches. He's got a "let's get this over with look." The team also half the time looks like they aren't on the pitch. There could be something there. Now if that's the case, is this the guy you want to go forward with? A quitter? What happens if next season he decides the players you bought him still aren't good enough? We continue enduring trashings all season long?

So let's put the cards on the table, sure we have some mediocre players. However Luis Enrique has been here for 9 months now and he should have some common sense. If every other week we concede a goal because the defense line is too high for a player of Heinze's age. Then the answer is to lower the defense line. And you sure as hell can't talk about compromising his vision because there is no damn vision to see. We don't play beautiful football, so why not lose by 1 instead of 4?

16. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, ya'll want another manager, fine. Just for bantz lets hear some names.

I love Zampa so I won't speak ill of him but who realistically are we going to get to come in now?

I haven't heard any suggestions I'd feel confident of coming in and taking up the project Enrique started, building on the squad we've started to build.

17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    First off all I think we need to wait until the summer, there is no sense in switching coaches now. Then when the summer arrives we can make a decision and we can see what is actually realistic.

One thing is for sure, it won't take much to do what LE has done. Give me Zeman back, our defense won't improve but at least we'll score more goals.

18. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At this point I think even myself can manage this roma better.At least I would play people in there normal positions.

seriously, henchag > LE..

19. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    DDR's grandmother > inanimate carbon rod > Luis Enrique :)

[​IMG]

20. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Considering AVB was our first-choice manager but we could not afford his buy-out, why not give him a chance to prove the critics wrong? I mean, at least the guy is well educated in terms of tactics and our management is not Abramovich and except for Totti we do not have any more old senators in our team

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Read a few posts, but not all yet. All I can say is, after initially wanting him gone almost straight away, I was told to have patience and you guys were correct. Now, most want him gone. I honestly think he should get one more season with a defence, at least one more midfielder and an experienced player to play in totti's role.

He has not got the players to really play what he wants. Unless Spalletti is coming back he can say in my eyes. If he fails next season, with a complete squad then he has to go. But everyone knows this Roma squad is about 55% 65% complete.

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's an option and he's out of work. However we have plenty of old senators, who are not going to go away so easily.

Perrotta, Juan (says he wants to stay), Cicinho, Cassetti, Pizarro, and Taddei

Granted it should be easier to control them than it was to control Chelsea.

23. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm not really going to question what Enrique's reasoning for team selection is every week. There are a myriad of reasons that go into every decision each week. It's easy for all us armchair managers to say "such and such was a terrible selection, even I knew that!" Hindsight is 20/20.

We play Rosi and he sucks and everybody cries out that Taddei should have played because at least he can somewhat defend. Next week Taddei is picked and makes a mistake/gets beat for pace and everybody bitches that at least Rosi is physical and has some pace.

I don't know why Totti wasn't picked, be it a knock, rest, tactical, etc. Overall though, I didn't have a huge problem with the team selection. I don't think I'd pick Perotta to start, but I can understand where the selection came from. Obviously it didn't work out, but then nothing in the game worked out, team selection didn't have much to do with it.

I understand having Rosi, Kjaer, De Rossi, and Angel as the back line because it provides the most pace in defense. I personally like Pjanic in midfield better than at treq, but I can understand moving him up, resting Totti, and trying to clog up the midfield with another worker in Perotta. Borini starting right away? No issues with it. Really, I don't see the big fuss in the team selection, just another thing to bitch about after the fact because people are frustrated by a few results this year. Had the second and third goals/ref decisions not been so Juve favorable, and we squeak out a 1-1 draw or a competitive 2-1 loss, Enrique's selection of Perotta would have been a "great example of his adapting to Serie A. Enrique now understands going on the road and seeking out a hard earned point." But instead, because it didn't work out for whatever reasons (beyond the potential reason that Perotta probably wouldn't have added much) it's now some big deal.

And for the style we're "trying" to play, yes our defense really is that bad, which is the fault of management.

My personal opinion is that Enrique has somewhat departed from his strict vision of football in order to try to garner some short term points and secure EL, and perhaps just eek out the final CL spot because he doesn't feel the current squad would be able to do so playing how he really wants to. My guess/interpretation of this is that management and he are on the same page about this. They want him to play as close to his style of football in order to keep things uniform with the new players who will be going into year 2 next season and to keep the vision of the project going. However, they'd also like to secure some sort of European football for extra revenue/player development in big time atmosphere, not to mention it's a positive when trying to bring in quality new players.

My guess is they've told him try to finish as high as possible and get European football, and they'll re-evaluate the squad in the summer. He'll get a full pre-season with the players and work on fully implementing his strict ideology, instead of what we're seeing right now. I too have noticed a lot more aerial long passes the past few games, as opposed to the strict short ground passing when he was trying to ingrain that into the side.

That's my take at least.

24. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I'm not so sure about AVB anymore. Yes, he tried to revitalize Chelsea by not playing some older players and that's what Chelsea needs to do if they want to fight for trophies in years to come, but in doing so he made enemies all around the place which ultimately proved to be his undoing. Also, he didn't show much tactical maturity. The guy tried to play a high defensive line with the likes of Terry and David Luiz. Of course it failed miserably.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just tell me one that, that without any doubt, have improved since he started? If anyone can tell me one thing LE has improved I will concede.