MD28: Sampdoria - AS Roma (March 15th 2009) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Forza_Totti, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    After a CL loss in penalties against Arsenal, Roma have one last objective this season...to finish in a top 4 position to gain entry to CL next season. Roma currently sit one point behind 4th place Fiorentina for that crucial 4th spot.

Roma will be without several key players for this clash as Totti, DDR and others are suffering from injuries and suspensions.

This match will also be important as Roma travel to take on Cassano. He will surely have some relationships with some players. Cassano/Pazzini have been a fantastic duo as of late and must be marked closely.

2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Re: MD28: Sampdoria - AS Roma (March 15, 2009) [R]

I'm quite worried about this match given the absences we have and the current form of Cassano, Pazzini, and Palombo. We are missing so many players that it becomes really hard to just put eleven players on the pitch.

Doni
    Panucci - Diamoutene - Riise - Tonetto
    Brighi
    Pizarro - Filipe
    Baptista
    Montella - Vucinic​

De Rossi's two match ban is a killer

3. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma

What's the status of Motta and Menez? Think they will miss out?

4. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

Motta is very doubtful. He underwent tests to see if he had any extensive muscular problems. They returned negative, but he's still experiencing problems and with his flexor muscle and likely won't feature.

Menez I understand is okay to play, however I don't see him starting with Mirko on the pitch. I think he will start from the bench.

My biggest fear is that Loria will be forced to play as Spalletti will want to place Tonetto on the midfield. I really hope not and pray he gives the space in the midfield to a young Filipe.

5. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma

I don't see Spalletti starting Filipe. I think he's only made one appearance this season as a sub. I don't mind Tonetto playing midfield, but the thought of Loria starting frightens me. But, i think he will. :(

6. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a hunch we see Marco D'Alessandro on the bench....maybe.

7. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma

ughhhh please lets not even think of that, Toto will look like Messi against us!!!!!

8. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I fear the worst from this match. I really do.

What the hell happened to Juan btw????

If Motta is fit and ready to go, then I expect to see a starting backline of Motta-Diamoutene-Panucci-Riise, which in all honesty wouldn't be too shabby. Motta being htere would allow Panucci to play the CB role, which he is obviously more experienced in than Riise. If not, then Panucci will have no choice but to play RB, and worst case scenario we'd have to see Riise start at CB or *gulp* Loria :(

Our midfield is my biggest concern. No Taddei or Perrotta for sure, meanwhile Pizarro and Aquilani will likely be matchday decisions.

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Every newspaper has Motta not playing, the player himself is quoted as saying he hopes to return soon.

There is apparently a flood of thousands of fans at Trigoria this morning. They say it's impossible to get there by car at the moment. The fans are all singing songs against Cassano.

I got some frightening news though, in this mornings training session Spalletti tried two different backlines. The first one of Panucci - Diamoutene - Loria - Riise and the second one of Diamoutene - Panucci - Riise - Tonetto.

Both Pizarro and Aquilani were missing from training this morning, so there might be a midfield emergency that forces Tonetto into the midfield and Loria on the pitch.

Romanews.eu is giving a probable formation of:

Doni
    Panucci - Diamoutene - Loria - Riise
    Felipe - Brighi - Tonetto
    Baptista - Menez
    Vucinic​

Pray for Aquilani and Pizarro to show up on the training ground this afternoon, otherwise I think you can put money on the curse of Loria.

** EDIT **

Here is the squad list, includes Motta, Pizarro. I wonder what kind of shape they are in? Motta was being reported as has a muscular strain, pretty surprised he is included on the list. Might just be out of desperation.

2 CHRISTIAN PANUCCI
    7 DAVID MARCELO CORTES PIZARRO
    9 MIRKO VUCINIC
    13 MARCO MOTTA
    14 FILIPE
    15 SIMONE LORIA
    17 JOHN ARNE RIISE
    19 JULIO CESAR BAPTISTA
    21 SOUYMANE DIAMOUTENE
    22 MAX TONETTO
    23 VINCENZO MONTELLA
    24 JEREMY MENEZ
    25 GUILHERME DE MORAIS GUSMAO ARTUR
    27 JULIO SERGIO BERTAGNOLI
    32 DONIEBER ALEXANDER MARANGON (DONI)
    33 MATTEO BRIGHI
    35 ANDREA BERTOLACCI
    36 RICCARDO BROSCO
    37 ALESSANDRO CRESCENZI
    38 MARCO D’ALESSANDRO

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I'm already anticipating a loss. I'll honestly be very happy if we are able to come away with this one with a draw.

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, thousands of fans invaded Trigoria yesterday morning to support the team after the elimination to Chelsea. Here are some links

Fans invade Trigoria (Video)

Fans invade Trigoria (Pics)

Let's hope this positive energy carries forward onto the game. If the team plays with the same determination as this past Wednesday than a victory is certainly possible.

12. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nice little celebration...Roma touched our hearts after players playing injured and coming so close to beating Arsenal. Nice gesture from fans to show their appreciation.

13. forzalupi

forzalupi Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What an injury disaster going into this game. I would much rather see Riise start in CB over Loria. He was amazing against Arsenal. Menez should get the start as well, because Baptista will play like crap again and we need someone up there with creativity to help out Vucinic. Montella will likely come on near the beginning of the second half as well, especially if we're down.

Has Aquilani even played in two back-to-back matches in 2009? Maybe for the national team.

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The formation hope we don't lose any players to injury. Brighi is the new captain today.

Doni
    Motta - Panucci - Diamoutene - Riise
    Brighi - Pizarro - Tonetto
    Baptista - Menez
    Vucinic​

15. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Any news if Motta is playing?

16. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ooh sorry didnt see your post :rolleyes:

17. forzalupi

forzalupi Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Brighi?? Panucci was given the armband with no problem against Udinese after De Rossi was sent off. Seems odd. I would have imagined Pizarro was ahead in line.

18. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ybody have a stream?

19. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Baptista goal!

20. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    how did he score?!!

21. forzalupi

forzalupi Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    AS Roma
  22. forzalupi

forzalupi Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    AS Roma
  23. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Pazzini goal, cross by Cassano off Pazzini's head

Diamoutene with a yellow, he misses the next match.

24. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Baptista has his shirt nearly ripped off, no foul given the referee seems to be leaning very much to one side.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Some incredible stuff going on, they had Baptista taping the hole in his shirt. Then they finally went and got him a new one.

Sampdoria is trying really hard to get one of our players sent off, we almost lost Motta when he made a second bad foul.