MD20: Catania - AS Roma (13 Jan, 2013) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I thought Tachtsidis had a great game, especially in the 1st half. Bradley....he just isn't Roma material.

Bye bye Europa League too.

Barilla repped this.
  2. cherney

cherney Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Every week we play the same way and under the same scheme. We are the most predictable team in Serie A and are therefore easy opponent. If 4-3-3 does not work, Zeman never change anything during the game. Zeman is very weak in terms of coaching tactics. It's just not a coach for a team like Roma. I do not know how long it takes for Baldini and Sabatini to understand this

3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florenzi was horrible today. He hasn't been good since the first month of the season and nobody has mentioned that because we want him to be our golden boy. Bradley was poor but he played well in the second half. Tach was also better in the second half. Lamela was missing. Destro was wasteful as usual. If Destro is able to do what strikers are supposed to do - we wouldn't be having this conversation nitpicking all of the other field players.

4. cherney

cherney Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ten points behind Lazio is a great shame. If Baldini and Sabatini continue to fail to act, it is time for action by the President. Zeman out!

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Will you give it a rest, who the heck is even available mid-season? You are being an annoying broken record.

6. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even mad at this point. We don't have good enough players and belong in the 6th/7th place spot.

Need players like Dzagoev and Rolando if we want to even compete for Europa League next season. Fiorentina, Napoli, and Lazio are only going to get better.

RomaWolf repped this.
  7. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Bradley can't control the ball or carry it for more than 10 seconds.. 2 qualities that midfielders need in Zeman's game

whill4 and DDR repped this.
  8. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Tachtsidis was decent out there today. Some lovely sweeping passes and he was strong with his tackling. By no means a great match for anyone but out of our midfield three I would give him the highest rating for this match.

9. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Tachtsidis was much better than Florenzi and Bradley.

10. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Zeman

11. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't think tach was poor but I'd need to watch again

13. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I thought Marquinho was good today. Like i've said many times before, i rate the lad and i think letting him go would be a big mistake, especially with an out of form De Rossi and a poor Bradley on show.

14. PDeGennaro

PDeGennaro Member+

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Quite frankly after seeing today's game I really have to ask myself what's the reason behind Zeman having such an overwhelming amount of supporters in this forum. Most people seem to think he is a master of fun fast attacking football and should retain the head coach position for at least a few more seasons. But that to me is a position that grows substantially weaker as the season progresses because of what we have accomplished so far.

We currently sit sixth on the table eight points away from Champions League qualification. During the 2011-2012 season we were also sixth after 20 matches played. That was under Luis Enrique who most would agree would give us one of the worst seasons with his high possession style. Today Zeman has a lot of talented players Luis Enrique did not have at his disposal yet the results are not that far apart.

One could argue that Zeman's style, when it does work, is amazing and quite a sight for any fan. That's not up for discussion and I agree with it entirely but the reality is we have been unable to achieve consistency with it. All the matches in which Roma had the opportunity to show everyone it was ready for European competition and get near the top three were failures ( of the top of my head Juventus and Napoli most recently.). Thus Zemanlandia is not really working for us long term.

I am a big fan of balance football not 100% possession and horizontal passes but also not of a system where we go all out attack and make our defenders have to fight twice as hard to keep a positive balance. Specially when we don't have Puyol, Chiellini, Pique, Pepe, Marcelo, Thiago Silva holding the fort. It's stupid to use the same 4-3-3 tactic week in week out when we have little defensive depth (if Marquinhos is not there, we are basically ********ed.God forbid we lose Piris and him at the same time) so we need to have more than one tactic and adapt to the situation.

I don't think if Zeman keeps being stubborn and use the same tactic regardless of the rival and the available players we will leave the 5-6th range. I hope I am wrong, and nothing will make me happier than seeing us make even Europa League this season but I have grown increasingly less enchanted with our coach.

Andreas and Capitano_10 repped this.
  15. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ^^ Excellent post, everything you have said has echoed my comments when we hired Zeman (again) in the first place.

16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I dont understand what you guys see....Your club has wayyyyyyyy to many young players and did not invest properly at all during the summer. The way I see it you can find anyone else to coach Roma and the same things that are occurring under Zeman would happen under their management.

17. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    cherney, you can't blame Zeman for the 4-3-3 system, management insisted before the takeover of the club they wanted to play attractive attacking football with the idea of a 4-3-3. Luis Enrique used a 4-3-3 and Zeman has used the same system for the past 20 years, if the players aren't suited to the 4-3-3 the failure lays on the shoulders of Baldini and Sabatini.

18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've invested very well for the future, but the for the present it has been mediocre. And the one "experienced" player Roma brought in over the summer has been a complete dud.

Still though, I wouldn't really say our youth is what's holding us back. Lamela, Marcos, Pjanic, Piris, and Florenzi(earlier in the seaeson) have all performed very very well. It's some of the more experienced players like DDR and Balza that have been disappointing along with our midfield and of course Destro has looked like fodder.

19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes for the future so I dont know why everyone is acting like the sky is falling.....

shiboboo and wm72 repped this.
  20. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Good job I missed the match because the laptop would probaly be smashed right now.Caught the highlights and no surprise to see Destro miss chance after chance again,this lad wouldn't score in a brothel.He should've at least put 2 of those chances away yesterday.God I really hope Osvaldo is back for the Inter game.

21. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My problem is that I don't know what to say about Destro, positive or negative...The fact that he gets so many 100% goal scoring opportunities every single game he plays only talks of the fact that he executes his movements and understands the overall game plan very well (I don't see Osvaldo getting into so many scoring chances, but you all know, I don't mean that Osvaldo is worse)...On the other hand, his finishing skills have been terribly terrible...Only if he can improve his accuracy and precision skills, he will be a top class player - maybe one of the best...

I think, he needs to be loaned out to another club that plays attacking football, I would not even mind sending him to Holland to learn scoring goals....Meanwhile, we can handle with Osvaldo and the current attacking roster - don't start talking about a new striker, please...

Yesterday, everyone who blames Zeman is totally blind...I just wonder what would have you said if Destro could finish at least 30% of his chances, Bradley couldn't miss all the sitters, and Florenzi did not miss the header from Taxi pass....It could have easily been a 5-0 during the first half only - and it's because of Zeman...No way we have been so dominating ever in Catania...From what I remember we have always looked like yesterday's second-half Roma there...

And finally, I don't want Marquinho gone...He was for me the best player out there....Who tried everything possible except for shooting maybe...But he was at least a head abovc all the other midfielders yesterday...And yes, one more, any other team would have got a PK there on Dodo

22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well said zako, people who cry after zeman after a game like that are frankly clueless. The same people who shout from the roof tops after a game such as Milan about how great he is. Oh its the tactics bla bla bla, he never changes them, I said that all along etc....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

We created enough to win by 3-4 goals ffs, how did we do that? because of Zemans tactics ... engage the brain cells before posting such nonsense

23. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Selling Marquinho would be utterly stupid, in fact, he should be starting ahead of Bradley (and I dare say it, DDR).

he was one of the few bright lights of this dreadful game.

As for Destro, he is not starting material and when he plays like this (ie 90%of the time) it makes me miss Borini more than I already do, I always hated that transfer and now I loathe it.

PS. Zeman's tactics were there, we won the game tactically, Bradley and Destro couldn't tap in balls a ********ing 5 yr old can, those blaming Zeman for that should go stick their head in the toilet seat for a few minutes. It's the players not the coach.

24. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    PDeGennaro LE had more established team then zeman ( thus a better team). Borini for ex. was more ready then destro, also LE had pizarro in first half of the season last year ( who hands down makes it to my best starting eleven in serie a this year)..he also had gago. This players were of much better quality in midfield then ones we saw yesterday.

The reason Zeman is supported, because for one we played some breathtaking football under him. We win in style, score alot ( best attack in the league) , create alot of chances. Under LE we didnt see any of those, we saw boring ball possession with horizontal passes. Zeman style is more direct, and entertaining. Plus on top of the fact Zeman utilised youth more then LE, and he is able to make our young players take the next step . LE bar borini, pretty much every young player including Lamela flopped under him ( Kjaer, Angel, Bojan ) .

25. Imran_INDIA

Imran_INDIA Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    EXACTLY what we feel..:(