MD14: Pescara - Roma (Nov 25th, 2012) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I feel - You can't have a 4-3-3 with Totti on the pitch. Especially a high tempo attacking game. We have gotten by because Totti has the ability to open up the game so much that he makes up for the tactical shortcomings.

It is a real catch 22 for Zeman. If Totti is healthy, you have to play him. And when he does play, he creates chances. But in order to fulfill his true vision, Totti cannot play because he has no position in Zeman's tactics.

But here is the fact. The buildup of our attacking has been slow with Bradley as regista. But his defensive acumen in covering for Balz and Piris has contributed to two straight wins and clean sheets. So Bradley may not be the ideal regista for Zeman. Totti is definitely not the ideal player for Zeman. But Zeman is adapting and we are winning games. If our forwards pounced on some more of their chances, our conversation will be how brilliant Zeman is instead of how his tactics aren't what we expected.

Vulpinous repped this.
  2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This may be true but we also played two mediocre opponents. Torino away from home sits back and looks to hit you on the break. We might have neutralized their attack, but it's hardly an attack that is conquering Serie A. Defensively they were able to neutralize us, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that without a penalty we might have ended in a deadlock.

All in all I think it's early to discuss is this hybrid formation is actually working. Let's see what happens after Fiorentina and Milan. Personally I think Zeman needs to be Zeman and play the football he is known for. This is all just a stop gap measure and I fail to see it working out in the long haul.

3. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    it is funny (and sad too) how everyone is concentrating on Totti. He may not be the perfect player as a winger, but he knows Zeman's game, have one touch passes, can use both of his legs and plays vertically. He is still the best player we have.
    Lamela is not the exact winger either on the other side - but he is younger and quicker, so it is okay...even if he is quite an egoist player who barely passes when close to the box.
    Beside Taxi and Florenzi, most of our midfield is not perfect for Zeman. De Rossi, Pjanic and Bradley are players slowing down the game, and play more horizontal then vertical.
    Pjanic, who so many want to play on the place of Totti, would not be the winger Zeman needs either, he is not that much faster, needs to run with the ball, less strong and not really makes the run he has to without the ball. but he is young so why not keep and complain about Totti, who runs a lot to make himself avaiable, and many times won't get the ball even standig alone inside the box from players who are playing more for themselves then for the team.
    I know how many here would like to see Totti out of the pitch, but that won't turn this team suddenly the perfect Zemania. For that Roma needs other players.

The midfield is the key for this team to play better.