MD10: AS Roma - AC Milan (Oct 29,2011) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Tom, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Again we play some decent football, especially in the second half. We have so much possession and nothing to show for it. To be honest, we never expected to win tonight, but im still getting very frustrated. We can never get that final ball to work, always running out of ideas.

2. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Completely agree. As much as some likes to see De Rossi in a quazi libero position, it doesn't make good to the team. he way too back, which means our attack is starting too deep. And that is bringing closer the other team's attackers to our gate.
    On the other hand the linking with the attack is bad, as closing on the midfield. Which means our attack cannot be really effective, but there is a big whole in the midfield constantly played through by the opposite team, and exposing our defense.

De Rossi has to play more advanced, with another DM behind him.

3. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I disagree, it was a deserved defeat to a better team. Milan could close this game easily, if not that Vucinic-like miss, and others.

But at least they did not stopped.

4. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I completely disagree, they could have closed the game just because they were leading due to three primitive defensive errors...If Abbiati didn't have luck, that Osvaldo shot should have gone in...And Ibra's second goal was offside actually...
    I feel that we were better...

5. bingos

bingos Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Part of it, because milan (just as Genoa last week) sat back and played on counterattacks, and they could have finished us off easily. we lack our most creative player, and Lamela as talented as he is, he plays quite an individualistic game. Which sometimes not a bad thing, but when Pjanic goes back to the midfiled and Lamela is not plating treq, then we have a problem of building attacks

6. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    If we lose against Novara do you think LE will stay?

7. cybojan4life

cybojan4life Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Our defense is our main problem. We have been scoring goals lately. We enjoyed 58 percent of the possession. We should have won't the game. Everyone biggest fear is the counter but it has been the set pieces that cost us four points probably more. Lazio now milan and there probably more.

8. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    LE isn't going anywhere, even if Novara do win. As much as im frustrated right now we all have to remember this is a project that will take many months to finalise. Tonight and against Genoa we did see a better Roma, just lacking the final touch in front of goal, it will come soon enough in my opinion. Defense is a major problem, i hate seeing us so wide open at the back, one of the flaws in LE's system if you ask me, we don't have good enough CB for this system. This must be addressed in the Jan transfer window.

9. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hope next game kjaer and burdisso will start , i hope rosi will come back! i miss him !

10. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The score could have been worse. Lucky for us with nocerino.

Our man marking on free kicks and corners sucks. Also we are too weak on defending counter attacks. The defence is a department we need to work on.

We need to buy a new RB, And 2 new CB.

11. cybojan4life

cybojan4life Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We had some good opportunity to score as well. Osvaldo should have done better on the ball abbaiti saved. We countered them as much as they countered us.

12. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    American owner = american mentality

13. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Another problem in LE's system is that we have no plan B. FACT

14. cybojan4life

cybojan4life Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    pizarro I never want to see him play until he learns how to shoot when he in the box or close. On bojan goal is a perfect example. Lamela just shot the ball and rebounds happen. Bojan a very good poacher so is osvaldo. We need to hit the ball on goal more and test the keeper.

15. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think if we get isla our problems will be solved , kjaer and burdisso will be great toogether , what i dont get is why did LE took gago out today and not pizaro , gago is rly vital in the mf unlike pizaro!

16. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Another loss, Im dissapointed but i saw it coming.

17. Roma Forzza

Roma Forzza Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to know Why he doesn't put nego in there until rosi rehabs it.

18. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    after the game, on al jazeera sport allesandro altobelli and cesare maldini were analyzing the game. altobelli said some great words..
    "LE has to adapt himself to italian football, and not to expect italian football to adapt to him". And "Roma has no Villa or Messi to play the way they are playing".

If we had Guidolin as manager of this team we would probably be first now in this mediocre league.

19. Roma Forzza

Roma Forzza Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If we had Guidolin as manager of this team we would probably be first now in this mediocre league.[/QUOTE]

It's funny you guys pick on LE when hes bad, but hes is so calm because he is confident in his system and knows with the time and players he will get it will work out. When he starts winning you will jump on the LE bus quickly.

20. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's funny you guys pick on LE when hes bad, but hes is so calm because he is confident in his system and knows with the time and players he will get it will work out. When he starts winning you will jump on the LE bus quickly.[/QUOTE]
    I belive the system will work eventually , but i think with a coach like ancelloti it will work much faster!

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Player Ratings: Roma 2-3 AC Milan
    Goal.com rates the performances of the players involved in the Rossoneri's victory over the Giallorossi.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/63943/as-roma-vs-milan/player-ratings

AS Roma

Maarten Stekelenburg 5.5 Beaten rather easily for all but the first goal. Milan had three shots on target, and scored thrice, which really says it all. A game to forget for the Dutch goalkeeper.

Juan 5.5 The Brazilian defender had a very difficult game against Ibrahimovic and should take some of the blame for the opener. More often than not he found it hard to contain the Swede, and was hesitant in the air.

José Ángel 5.5 The Spaniard had a below par game as he was caught out of position on a number of occasions. Was reckless in the tackle, and was not much of a threat in the final third in the second half. At fault for Nesta's goal as he was easily out muscled by the veteran.

Nicolas Andres Burdisso 6.0 The Argentine was the best player in Roma's defense, which is not saying much. Did well to score the equalizer, but was often turned inside and out by Robinho, and his lack of pace was exposed on a number of occasions.

Marco Cassetti Flop of the Match 5.5 The defender showed once again his positioning sense was below par as more often than not he had to sprint back to catch up with Milan's attackers. Had virtually no contribution in the final third.

David Pizarro 7.0 The Chilean was simply unplayable at times, dribbling with ease past the visitors' defense. Put in some neat passes, and did a lot of work in defense as well.

Miralem Pjanic 6.5 The former Olympique Lyonnais man showed great delivery from set-pieces, but was hardly a threat from open play. Assisted the equalizer, and nearly scored with a majestic free-kick on the hour mark.

Daniele De Rossi 6.0 The midfielder had a great game in defensively, but failed to offer anything in the final third. Showed some good touches on the ball, but his passing was far from his usual standard.

Fernando Gago 5.5 The Argentine hardly made an impact as he chased shadows for most of the game, and failed to make his presence felt in the center of the pitch. Booked for an offense that could have easily earned him a red card.

Pablo Osvaldo 5.0 Missed a great chance in the 71st minute, and cut a frustrated figure upfront. Did not get many chances, but hardly helped himself with his positioning either.

Fabio Borini 6.0 The ex-Chelsea man did well before picking up an injury, which ended his participation in this game.

• Substitutions
    Gabriel Iván Heinze 5.0 Beaten in the air by Ibrahimovic for the third goal that ultimately sunk Roma.

Erik Lamela 5.0 An inspired cameo by the former River Plate youngster, who was at the heart of everything in the final 20 minutes, and played a key part in Roma's second goal.

Bojan Krkic 6.0 Came on for Borini, and generally had a hard time against Milan's robust defense. Showed great instincts to score Roma's second goal, though.

Milan

Christian Abbiati 6.0 The goalkeeper had no chance for the equalizer, but could have done better for Roma's second goal as he spilled Lamela's shot onto Bojan's feet. He did pull off some fantastic saves, though, as he stopped Pjanic's free kick on the hour mark, and denied Osvaldo from six yards out in the 71st minute.

Alessandro Nesta 7.5 The veteran defender delivered an immense performance in the heart of Milan's defense. Read the game superbly, and made some very important interventions, with his lunge in the 57th minute being a highlight. Scored a fine goal to put the cherry on the cake.

Gianluca Zambrotta 5.0 An inept performance as he was completely at fault for the equalizer and had absolutely no influence in the final third. Looked like a liability at the back in a game he would like to forget.

Ignazio Abate 6.0 Had a field day against Roma's left flank until Lamela entered the pitch. Was rock-solid at the back in the first half, and made a few rampaging runs, but was pinned back once the Argentine came on.

Thiago Silva 6.0 Had a lapse of concentration, which ultimately got punished as Roma scored a second goal. Did very well to limit Osvaldo's efficiency, once again proving he is a great reader of the game.

Mark van Bommel 5.5 The Dutchman had an uncharacteristically poor game as he did not look like his usual combative self in the center of the pitch. On top of that, his passing was below-par, and looked hesitant on the ball.

Alberto Aquilani 7.5 The ex-Liverpool man had an inspired game as he displayed his arsenal of precise passing and shooting. Assisted Ibrahimovic's brace, and nearly got on the score-sheet with a cracking effort near the hour mark. Did not look too assured helping out in defense, however.

Antonio Nocerino 6.0 The former Palermo man had a decent game as he showed tremendous work rate, covering a lot of ground for his team. Kept his passing simple, but should really have converted a chance in the 86th minute.

Kevin-Prince Boateng 5.0 Had an average game as nothing he tried in this game worked. His passing was sloppy, and he lacked his usual drive. Shown a red card for a spat on the touchline shortly after he was substituted.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Top of the Match 8.0 An immense performance by the Swede, who led his team by example, netting with two superb headers. Gave Roma's defense a nightmare evening in a memorable game.

Robinho 6.5 The Brazilian was sharp on the ball in this game, but his final pass left a lot to be desired. Showed great vision to bypass Roma's defense, but really could have done better to take his chances.

• Substitutions
    Massimo Ambrosini 5.0 A late substitution.

Urby Emanuelson 6.0 An energetic cameo by the former Ajax man.

Antonio Cassano 6.0 Impressed on the ball, and showed great vision to create some decent chances.

22. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Pizarro was the only one that looked even remotely dangerous or competent with the ball at his feet today. It's amazing how at 32 years old and in spite of all his injury problems he can still cause fits for the opposition with his dribbling and movement. Very few players in Serie A are capable of winning the ball off of him 1 on 1.

By the way, I know he's still just a kid that's adapting to the Italian game and that it's just a matter of time before his potential starts to shine through, but I really haven't been all that impressed with Pjanic thus far. You see that he has incredible skill to his game, but he doesn't really look comfortable just yet. Lamela on the other hand just looks like a pure natural to me. He definitely needs to start every game if possibles.

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think people really tend to put too much value in the whole "possession" statistic. Just because we had 58% possession that doesn't mean we were the more threatening or dominant team by any means.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I've been a dedicated supporter of the LE project since the beginning, but even i have to admit that I'm becoming somewhat frustrated and skeptical at this point. Yes, I know it takes time for players to adapt to this style of football. At the same time though one has to wonder if this brand of football really is made for the Italian game where so many teams are strong on the counter-attack. How many times have we been exposed by counter-attacks? Thus far LE hasn't been able to figure out a way to defend against it mainly because I really don't think he knows HOW. This is an entirely different animal from what he's used to in Spanish football, and he's going to have to learn to understand the Italian game a bit better if he hopes to achieve any kind of success.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The thing that bothers me about LE is the continuous changing of players. Things like going into one match with Osvaldo and Borriello and the next Bojan and Borini. Hard to build some form of cohesion in that fashion.

I disagree that our problem is counter attacking nature of Italian football. We rarely concede from a counter, more often from a corner.

However I also don't see this team improving. We remain to slow in attacking and as a result find ourselves on the 3/4 with no idea what to do. This has been the problem with LE from the start and only in rare glimpses have we gotten away from it.

BTW - Ancelotti with these youngsters would flop.