Maurice Edu Back to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jtorok

jtorok Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #126 jtorok, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    And Philly's off-season so far has consisted of picking up Chicago's unwanted (Corben Bone) and shipping away a hometown favorite to make cap room for this signing.

2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you buy a player down under the DP limit, it frees up a designated player spot you can use on another big money player if you have space.

MLS teams have been doing this since allocation money was made available.

You can read about it here under the allocation money section
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is mostly perception that hurts a league that already struggles with PR issues.

If however you believe that all soccer fans in the US think MLS is a shining beacon of how to do business then there is not much I can say.

derek750 and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 Pablo Chicago, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    How about we give you Bakary back, no questions asked, and well call it a draw.

5. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Man, my jokes/snide comments are falling flat lately.

tab5g repped this.
  6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, :)

I am never sure when someone is being sarcastic and someone is still learning the complex rules.

Matt Hall repped this.
  7. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Where have you been. This isn't the first time that MLS has denied a DP despite the fact that they wouldn't even be the ones paying for it. I seem to remember that this happened to FC Dallas when they tried to keep Kenny Cooper from going overseas. The only reason that they do this is for salary control. Remember what happened in TO with DeRo and DeGuzman. That type of thing happens when you massively overpay for a DP who turns out to not be worth the money. It destabilizes the league salary structure, which mostly undervalues American and Canadian players who aren't DPs. MLS believes Bradley is worth more here than he is in Europe because he's an influential starter on the USMNT.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From last page:

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I would be pissed. Such a bad value when you can get comparable players for cheaper.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think the vast majority of "all soccer fans in the US" will not hear of or care about this news (of Edu not coming to MLS at a DP salary level).

"Fans" for the most part are not aware of and/or do not care about the business details and how the league makes its sausage product. Soccer fans want to be entertained. (And I do not blame MLS for deciding there are some players, like Cooper and/or Mellberg and/or Edu, who will/would not provide some level of entertainment and desirable product based on some possible or requested level of "league/team" investment.)

redinthemorning and JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though there is a legitimate concern here that isn't just about some owners being "cheap".

First I'm basing this on the assumption that the owners don't just want to throw away money, that they're willing to lose money on smart investments but they aren't going to just burn it.

I've said, and still believe, that signing Dempsey (or now Bradley) would be stupid for the Rapids. They clearly don't have the economic base to support paying that kind of money for a player. And the Rapids aren't alone in that situation. So if MLS still believes in parity (and IMO they should) they have to be careful that they aren't acquiring players that only certain teams can reasonably afford. I'm not pushing the panic button yet over just a few players, but I can see the specter of that possibility on the horizon. If these type of signings (Dempsey, Bradley, etc.) MLS is going to have to figure out how to get some of these higher-priced players to go to some of these less economically strong teams or start abandoning the idea of parity.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    While Edu is probably not worth 1.2 mil compared with other MLS D-mids, why would the league block Philadelphia from overpaying him? He might arguably be worth 368K which is all the league chips in. If the owner wants to pay the rest why would league HQ stop him? Wouldn't Edu be Philly's only DP? It's not as if the league has a general policy of preventing teams from overpaying players. We can all name various players from our team who were overpaid from the start.

phillypride repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Edu different than the other times the league cock blocked a team? Yeah, they went big on Defoe, Dempsey, and Bradley, but those players move the needle for the entire league. Edu doesn't even register.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pile on, but how about we let Mix join in in the party?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...rud-talks-about-us-future-and-failed-portland

JasonMa repped this.
  15. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been plenty of overpaid players that didn't move the needle that the league didn't block.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alonso and Beckerman come to mind.

tab5g repped this.
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you basing that on their play before they joined the league, or after?

18. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It is the same. But maybe the environment has changed. I think that's what he means. Regardless, this is the ugly side of the league's construction to control labor costs. Surprised to see as many people defending it, it is a bad policy. Maybe necessary, some here might say probably or definitely necessary, but still bad.

Boloni86 and derek750 repped this.
  19. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tab5g repped this.
  20. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been kicking this around on the Revs board the past couple of days and an idea that I've come up with is start putting limits on the Designated Player Rule. For example...

Designated Player #1 - Same rules as currently exist. Any salary, any transfer fee.
    Designated Player #2 - Total transfer fee and average annual salary can not exceed $2.0 million
    Designated Player #3 - Total transfer fee and average annual salary can not exceed $1.0 million. Player must be eligible for either US or Canadian National Teams OR player may not be older than 24 years of age.

League retires whatever slush fund exists to help the Seattles and Torontos sign marquee players (...they can still sign Dempsey, Bradley, etc... it's just the league can't help them) and the league can not block a team from signing a player as long as they meet the DP designation.

In effect, this is saying New York can sign Henry... but they can't sign Henry, Cahill, and Xavi. Toronto can have Defoe, Gilberto, and Laba... but maybe Michael Bradley ends up in Kansas City instead of Toronto.

Just an idea...

Fanatical Monk, JasonMa and derek750 repped this.
  21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the league is saving Philly from themselves. I haven't seen one person say that Edu would not be massively overpaid at $1.2 million.

CyphaPSU, joelk and Unak78 repped this.
  22. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not disagreeing on the value judgment.

23. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be difficult to argue that Edu isn't worth the maximum non-DP salary. So why would I care if the ownership is willing to invest in the team?

By the way, where was the league on these deals?
    Julian De Guzman (2012 salary): $1.911 million
    Eric Hassli (2011 salary): $900K
    Torsten Frings (2012 salary): $2.414 million
    Danny Koevermans (2013 salary): $1.663 million
    Obafemi Martins (2013 salary): $1.725 million
    Kenny Miller (2013 salary): $1.113
    Sherjill McDonald (2013 salary): $527K
    Barry Robson (2012 salary): $596K

Boloni86, POdinCowtown and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see nothing wrong with Oba's contract. He happen to have a wonderful scoring rate and would had scored more if it wasn't for him being injured.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again.. Are you basing this on their performance prior to their arrival to the league or after?

The reason I'm asking is because if you were basing it on performance prior to them playing in the league you wouldn't be including most of those players. You're also completely missing why De Guzman was paid as much as he was. De Guzman moved the needle in Toronto.

Londo and MLSFan123 repped this.