Maurice Edu Back to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Inflated costs for average players. Essentially some of these players salaries are so inflated that they have become a tombstone in the living-room

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's not go crazy Zoid. 5 times the player? He may be about 15% better as a player (yeah, i know .... where did i come up with that), but that percentage translates to a HUGE when it comes to value. The margins are never as great as we make them out to be though.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Forget it...I'm rolling.

Fanatical Monk and onefineesq repped this.
  4. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This is laying it on a bit thick, but I said this when the Dempsey signing happened... i'm concerned about that being a completely game-changing contract (in sort of a bad way).

How can you even attempt to lure a big European name without them asking for money in that range?

That being said, I can understan Bradley at 6 million way more than I can understand Mo Edu at 1.2 million. The guy was a solid MLS player, but has done almost nothing since leaving the league to justify that kind of paycheck within this league. An he will not move the needle in any way since he has become a serious longshot to make the WC roster. Bradley is damn near the US Captain, and Clint Dempsey literally is.

Edu's return should be closer to the Parkhurst salary range IMHO, or like 500K, etc.

5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can no one see an issue with the league actually paying part of the transfer fee to get certain players to certain teams while telling other teams that they can't spend their own money to sign other players?

sXeWesley, wsmaugham, SogeJ and 6 others repped this.
  6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Welcome to a single-entity.

Things are a bit strange here.

(But overall the league will make do, and regularly thrive.)

For all we know "MLS balks at Edu's 1.2M salary" could actually be "Philly balks at Edu's 1.2M salary" -- and MLS might be willingly taking the fall/blame here, like a good single-entity would/should.

Unak78 and asoc repped this.
  7. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The league blocked Portland from signing Mix Diskerud.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    "They" (the league) did something similar to some other team a wrt Kenny Cooper, at some point, right?

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes no sense.

No one has a problem if Philly decides the price is too high. It is their team to run
    Most everyone is going to flip when the league makes decisions for teams.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The general belief AIUI is that Dallas used the league FO as a fall guy on that one, it was Dallas who really didn't want to pay Cooper.

tab5g repped this.
  11. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MLS did? I thought Mix balked cause he didn't like how that the league controlled the player's rights

MLSFan123, asoc and FlashMan repped this.
  12. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    yeah but how many people got pissed off when MLS FO nixed Mellberg to TFC deal? (who btw, was playing in CL few months ago...)

DP wage inflation happened with Dempsey/Defoe/Bradley. MLS is not going to get that genie in the bottle anytime soon.

superdave repped this.
  13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember plenty of people both scratching their heads and complaining about it.

PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  14. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    no, Mix chose not to sign with MLS because he doesn't like the restrictions on players rights.

15. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Would anyone here be excited if their team signed Edu as a dp?

tab5g repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS is making decisions in conjunction with the teams (and as the collection of the teams). Always has, always will -- for as long as MLS is a single-entity.

Functionally and honestly there is no real difference between "the league" and "the team(s)."

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For ~$550k, sure. At that level, you might be able to buy him down under what ever the new dp limit will be after the CBA is signed next season.

For ~$1.2m, no not so much.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  18. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be giddy if Chicago signed anyone other than a couple of home growns and a NASL keeper.

looknohands and RafaLarios repped this.
  19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And that league decision impacted MLS's business how (negatively)?

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the case of DP's there is great difference.

There is a reason AEG, and Red Bull has signed big money players and not Kraft and that is specifically because there is a real difference between league and teams. If there wasn't, the big name dp's would be more spread around instead of going to the more ambitious owners willing to pay the salaries.

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to where I said it impacted the business negatively?

22. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. Others have assured us there is no difference between the league and individual teams. Your big names are coming even if your owner is unsure where your stadium is located.

23. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why would Philly be interested in buying him down?

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And that's the point, the league is (rightly, imo) setting that level of "more ambitious owners."

TFC's ambition (and resources) to sign Bradley surpassed other teams' -- including Philly's -- ambition in that case.

And apparently Philly's ambition in this case is outside what MLS the league-collective deems is appropriate. The league signs all the players. Edu would not be the first "league-denied DP signing."

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I was working off of the idea that "most everyone is going to flip" would somehow have to be something MLS should concern itself with, as a business.