Maurice Edu Back to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jan 13, 2014.

1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Fair point.

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's because he isn't worth it. That simple. D mid with limited passing ability and ball skills. I can get something close for a HELL of a lot less and spend that money on more impactful players.
    Any GM who pays that price tag, or anything close, will have made a BIG mistake.
    Sorry Mo, US player with some skill, a bit of a name, and consistent success at a very good level is what is needed.
    Rangers is not that, and the Turkey loan was to short.

I'm glad to see MLS balking. It shows they are not out of control and making pragmatic big signings.
    Mo really isn't a player that is worth a lot in the MLS set up. Sorry, jut reality.

looknohands and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The money makes him think it is hand out time for a US player in MLS. It isn't thank goodness.
    Mo simply isn't good enough for a large contract here. Parkhurst should earn more than Mo does in MLS...hands down. Mo's club career has been way more smoke and mirrors, low level play, and an inability to show he can be consistent at a decent level. The resume does not lie.

4. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Edu made 1.4 million dollars in 2012.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rico Clark is probably a better comparison and he was on just over $300K last season. I think you can argue Edu deserves more that Clark. Clearly the projected $1.2 million salary has more to do with Edu's existing contract than his value in MLS.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole idea behind paying big money for players like Bradley and Dempsey is because they are national team stars, are major attractions, and because they have succeeded in top leagues. They get paid a lot because they have other top options.

Now, I don't blame Edu for asking for $1.2 million. If he terminates his contract with Stoke he'll be foregoing around $2 million for the next season and a half. But ultimately, like Parkhurst, if he's coming back to MLS it's because he wants playing time, and a chance at the World Cup. Parkhurst is having to take a pay cut to make that happen.

If MLS lets the Union pay $1.2 million a year for Edu, then players like Zusi and Besler have a right to feel pissed. They are around the same age as Edu, but they signed extensions for a much lower rate than that. Both are active members of the national team. What has Edu done that they haven't? A few more caps and a stint at Rangers and Turkey?

So, yeah, I get the idea why the league wouldn't want to pay Edu that much. He's not 5 times the player of Dax McCarty, or 4 times the player of Kyle Beckerman! Of course the counter argument...is Bradley 5 times the player that Edu is?

These are the perils of having an extremely unbalanced salary structure and centralized decision making.

Unak78, Via_Chicago, PhillyMLS and 2 others repped this.
  7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I have never rated Edu. He probably isn't even top half of the league(among starters) at his position.

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    you could argue it, doesn't mean its a good argument.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Yup. Rangers and Bursaspor? Someone who could only play consistently in the SPL and the Turkish league is not worth that much money. See Kris Boyd.

10. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What a functional labor market we have here ...

Although people aren't being cynical enough (probably not enough Philly fans). 610AM would call this is a set up to make MLS the fall guy. If they paid lip service to the Union.

superdave repped this.
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Good post and I believe Mikey is probably 3 to 5 times the player Mo is. it's not close, it's never been close...even in nepotism BB is keeping Mo down days. Mo really does not have much of a resume at all quiet frankly.

12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 derek750, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    So you think Rico Clark should be paid more than Edu? I would disagree. Maurice is 3 years younger and has had much more success in Europe. Let's remember that Clark came back to the league after a period where he didn't play much for Eintracht Frankfurt. Doesn't mean Edu is worth over $1 million, of course.

Unak78 repped this.
  13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It is a good argument. Rico would have done fine at Rangers. BFD. A short loan stint in Turkey? BFD.
    I think Mo is a bit better, but it certainly is not an outrageous statement he made. It is a very apt comparison.
    Mo reminds me of Brek Shea. WTF have these guys really done over any consistent period for folks to think they are anything but average?

14. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Bradley is worth at most 2 million dollars a year.... Edu probably 800,000 thus Bradley's cost is more inflated.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Frankfurt is about 3 levels above what Mo did with Rangers. Crap league and loaded team. When play speeds up Mo can't keep up. Has always been this way. Consistently unable to keep up except for a match here or there.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    2 mill? Says who? You?

Bradley at least creates some MLS buzz...Mo makes u go, they paid that guy what? A guy with no real resume outside Rangers...who was typically uneven in CL matches? Damn. I can get a player who does what Mo does for a fraction of the price in MLS. Not even a thought.

FlashMan repped this.
  17. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    I am going by what he was paid in Europe. In Europe his salary was equivalent to or higher than Bradley's. Bradley had more success but was also there longer and a bit of a journeys man

18. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Edu hasn't had success in Europe. Played for Rangers in a shit league. Couldn't cut it anywhere else.
    Clark has had success in this league. I don't think he is all that either. But better than Edu, yes.

19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have other examples of the league blocking a team from signing a player they wanted? I seem to remember this happening before.

I feel like the DC Phi trade should have been contingent on Edu signing else this really looks bad.

20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Olof Mellberg to TFC.

21. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    By paying Bradley an inflated salary... Six times what he was earning in Europe the market is now skewed. Even Dempseys Salary is very inflated for a guy playing like he us past his prime.... The league is doomed.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Strange thing is that Tottenham helped TFC with their Bradley bid, including how much to pay him. So obviously they knew who were players in the Bradley game and how much they were likely to offer. After tax I'm pretty sure he isn't getting overpaid by as much as you think.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cmon Yoshou, you have to admit this is a different time. The league has paid 3 HUGE transfer fees and allowed teams to pick up huge tabs on wages for those 3 players, only to balk at a team paying 1/4 or a 1/5 of THOSE guys salary to another national team player who has also played fairly successfully in Europe and is in a prime age. That would certainly have the Union (and I think some other "smaller" teams) in an absolutely uproar.

SideshowBob and derek750 repped this.
  24. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Why wasn't Roma paying him anywhere near that. If he was making that salary he would be one if the highest paid players in Italy. He was a 3rd to 4th choice defensive midfielder at Roma!

25. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And how exactly is the league doomed?