Maurice Edu Back to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Because Philly paid down his contract. Which, according to reports, is what Philly is planning on doing with Edu.

2. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL.... @ the rule as well as the comment

3. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insanity

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I just dont find his talent at this point to be worth a dp not to mention hes a defensive midfielder. Seems like a waste of money. A parkhurst type deal would make more sense.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a good explanation; I guess we will see what happens.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...parke-for-ethan-white-swaps-allocation-slots/

Yeah, but at least breakfast today was prior to MLS posting the 2014 League Roster Rules/Regulations online, so they could/should have time to formally type this one up ahead of the season.

troutseth repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So free transfers means allocation, paying fee (with league help) does not.

Why not make a deal with stoke to pay a small fee (say 50K) and then keep the allocation spot :sneaky:

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #58 tab5g, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Because MLS makes "the deals" centrally. MLS would not allow a team to "pay" (even a very small amount) for a player that the league can get on a free.

(And that is good/smart business by the single-entity.)

Although it should be noted that MLS is apparently handling Edu's signing differently than how they once handled/signed Reyna -- as he seems to be the most comparable example and I think he arrived on a free.

Not that I have any real issues with the league tweaking/altering the DP and player acquisition "rules" and roster regulations specifically as the league matures (and gets access to new "league controlled player retention/acquisition funds" via a partial SUM equity sale.)

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Goff reported he was likely to be a DP which is counter to the buy down theory. Do you have a link.....I know all we have are rumors

Edit....I see they published this new rule....doesn't matter if they buy it down or not.

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Read it again...the free transfer is an aside. The determining factor seems to be league money used or not.

tab5g repped this.
  11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Over on YA, it's much more like:

12. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    We don't know if Philly will make him a DP or buy it down. If not a DP it would make sense to go through allocation. Until there is a contract agreement with MLS its unknown on the DP tag.

tab5g repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting situation. He wants to play, Stoke won't play him. So both sides have an interest in Edu moving. OTOH, he has a good amount of guaranteed money he'd be walking away from.

In American sports, it's pretty common for the "Stoke" team in this scenario to eat part of the rest of the contract. They save some of the money, the player gets paid by his new club what he's worth RIGHT NOW on the open market, and all 3 sides come out as winners. For whatever reason, such deals are very rare in soccer, when you'd think they'd be easier, since players are sold and not traded.

Anyway, to me, that's what SHOULD happen. Edu should take a modest pay cut for the chance to play and get a contract that goes beyond June 2015, MLS should pay a modest surcharge over the going rate because he's under contract right now, and Stoke should take a modest hit in order to get his salary off the books.

Dills and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    According to today's new rule....it doesn't matter.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a DC fan, allow to me to curse silently but voluminously.

The core value of DC under Dave Kasper is that he thinks speed doesn't matter. The only time they were ever any f'ing good was when they lucked into having Deleon, Najar, and Pontius, and had a team that had average or above average speed at several positions. Then Pontius got hurt, Najar got sold, and Deleon got fat.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this at a drive-in as a little kid, and that song haunted me for years. *Shudder*

manoa and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  17. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Traumatic.

My earliest such memory is watchign Pete's dragon freaking leave the poor kid. I'm still pissed about that.

Burden and Bremas repped this.
  18. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Parke isn't slow, at least he wasn't in Seattle. Granted that was more than a year ago. I have seen Parke track down or keep up with some of the fastest players in the league.

19. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wonder how this would affect Pappa to seattle rumor?

22. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012

Hell would break loose either way.

An MLS salary of $1.2M for a USNT player who's a longshot to make the WC team? A hazmat team would be picking up Eddie Johnson's head with a sponge if that happened.

23. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nevermind it doesn't help MLS when it comes to CBA negotiations with the MLSPA

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has all hell broken lose after all the other times that MLS balked at the price a team wanted to pay a player?

tab5g repped this.
  25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Neuwerld and tab5g repped this.