Maurice Edu Back to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FireJuveChelsea, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also that Landon Donovan guy... I know he's practically unheard of and certainly hasn't made anything of himself since he washed out of Europe, but he was on loan to San Jose.

tab5g, USvsIRELAND, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless... unless Klinsmann stopped calling Edu in because he became familiar with him and what he brings (and maybe it does have something to do with one or more of those things you listed?)?

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann stopped calling up Edu because he got a hernia and hasn't played club ball since. He didn't play his way off the team. He'll have to play his way back onto it, sure, but I don't understand posters who act like Klinsmann doesn't rate Edu.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true, I'm just projecting because I don't rate Edu. Which is completely ridiculous I'll admit, because Klinsmann has made so many roster decisions that I find dumbfounding, I should probably be drawing the opposite conclusion and expect Edu to be starting this summer.

Mateofelipe, tab5g and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  5. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I think the is precisely the reason. The league sets salaries. In the case of Bradley and Dempsey, no team is going to pay for it so they don't have to worry. But with Edu, they are trying to do what they can to keep his price where they want it.

tab5g repped this.
  6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #556 tab5g, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...aurice-edu-designated-player-one-year-loan-st

Stupid, MLS! Be more transparent!

(Not that I am actually all that hopeful of the league sticking to that timeline and publishing/updating the Roster Rules for the new season ahead of March 8, 2014.)

(And fwiw, not much, but this was all being covered/discussed accurately much earlier in this thread.)

keller4president and JasonMa repped this.
  7. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Off by a couple days, but close enough.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The investor/operators will, as shareholders of SUM, will they all invested on their teams? I assume some will (maybe most) but some will pocket some of the money.

tab5g repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For the specific case of the Philadelphia Union owners, come 2015 when they have to decide to pay a transfer fee for Edu or not they will actually have some cash to consider it.

tab5g repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #560 tab5g, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...ed-recruit-jermain-defoe-for-toronto.1999864/

Not specifically related to Edu, but it does help illustrate the growing and changing business of MLS and how the league office needs to be fluid and flexible and willing and capable of altering their regulations and updating their roster "rules" and player-acquisition mechanisms and processes as situations warrant in an off-season.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/socce...ourful_journey_led_by_tim_leiweke_kelly.html#

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those interested, his presser will be streamed live today at 12:30.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/live

There's also a blurry pic making the rounds of him - #21 - at training today.

[​IMG]

12. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    This statement proves MLS is making it up as it goes along:

“As with most aspects of the business, the league, in consultation with the clubs, reviews the roster rules on an annual basis and reserves the right to modify them prior to each season. The amendment to the assignment mechanism for Designated Players will be reflected in the 2014 roster rules that will be released prior to the start of the season.”

This is shameful. At least apply the same rules in the same off-season! All DP's signed this off-season should not have been subject to allocation, until new rules were firmly in place. You make the rules first and then apply them. You don't apply them first, and then write them down after the fact.

Philly was really screwed here.

13. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy you are gonna be really upset when they find a way to let their two buddies in Toronto keep Laba.

JasonMa and keller4president repped this.
  14. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is the league does not comprehend every possible circumstance that could occur which is why things are made up on the fly.

Lets not pretend this is just an issue MLS faces. As I have pointed out multiple times, the NBA did the exact same on the fly rule changing when issues arose they could not predict when they started to grow in the mid to late 80's. It is something you either need to understand and accept or you are going to drive yourself crazy.

It is likely to continue happening for many years until most of the special circumstances are ironed out.

JasonMa and Allez RSL repped this.
  15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I accept it, I just want MLS to acknowledge it straight out instead of hiding the ball as it continues to do.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the next shoe to drop. It should not surprise anyone if the DP rule is slightly altered to allow 3 dp's and 1 youth dp.

17. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pretty much describes MLS.

keller4president and fuzzx repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what it did with that statement?

19. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That's what I thought too.

Zoidberg repped this.
  20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    No, we weren't.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Can't even shoot out the old "reading is fundamental" line there.

Whine for the sake of whining maybe?

troutseth repped this.